The cattle thread

ZG6E

13 hours ago, rrr4quality said:

Yes, I’ve been checking on them regularly. Last year she took on a bottle calf that I had penned up with her and her calf. He figured out how to sneak a sip while her calf was nursing. 

That's great. Pretty as those calves are, you'd hate to lose one. The Herefords I've had seemed more agreeable to feeding 2 than the Angus moms. The worst was the Angus who not only didn't want to feed the twin, but didn't want me to either. The unwanted twin left right away (to my neighbor down the road who had other bottle babies) and the mom and calf soon after.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

Serenity is a windmill pumping good clean water and cows grazing plentiful grass.

A good year, thank you Lord

IMG_20230625_103345594.thumb.jpg.e97ced0096cb8f633843f5a87f8c90c0.jpg

Grass here has gone south. Shipping a load out today. I will be down to a few of the better young cows by the first of August. All part of the North Missouri cycle. 

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, junkandcattle said:

Grass here has gone south. Shipping a load out today. I will be down to a few of the better young cows by the first of August. All part of the North Missouri cycle. 

We were very lucky to get the rains here.

Hope we get a few more spread out over the next couple months to keep it green.

It is normal though to shut off the tap and turn hot and dry first of July.

We will see what happens.

Makes good haying weather though🤠

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well a coworker sent me this and I figured the cattle thread needed a bump. I told my coworker they have too much protection. 

• Haha 7

• 4 weeks later...

Moving heavies from the school section to the calving trap. 

Only about 200 acres makes them easier to check during calving.

IMG_20230803_073351342.thumb.jpg.1bb3d6ac5856b8de8369b59ce2600c56.jpg

The cow at the end of the rainbow 😄

IMG_20230803_060159051.thumb.jpg.cf64224efb2052c9f0c4797e348f4b30.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

So, I was trying to put a cow where she did not want to go.

On the way she got to running me around the line shackIMG_20230805_054047005.thumb.jpg.19729c33ebf00ad60b7e140c6bc39b8b.jpg

After about ten times around

She disappeared.

I looked every direction but could not see where she went.

Zoom in on this window

IMG_20230804_065613234.thumb.jpg.b9893d7a4ce6317970d5856c3aa1a47f.jpg

So you think you want to own cows🙄🤠

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

I had a couple calves get out yesterday. I figured they were sneaking around the end of the hot wire in the swamp. The fence runs through the swamp but it’s hard to maintain it. I electrified another 100’ in. See if you can tell from the picture what 10’ section is knee deep water!2B863F78-0893-4693-8229-F88428A46F16.thumb.jpeg.df15e2078648e7728c051707b3318cef.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

.......took a trip out back today, with mineral   /  salt lick blocks for the girls.....They look in good shape considering what there is to eat.....Point is, at the moment there is only a hundred out there ..on about   4500 acres......spring growth is still 6 or more weeks away..

Mike

IMG_2517.JPG

IMG_2515.JPG

• Like 6

Here is something different. That orphan calf I mentioned earlier has started growing a set of horns. I haven't had this before and am assuming it must be one of the bulls with the gene? Her Mom was an Angus/ registered Hereford cross and the 2 bulls I have are all black with no sign of horns.

807E752D-0DC7-4D49-BDA5-C0914F218867.jpeg

6959113E-3AF7-4562-B4D5-AF3971A5F687.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/7/2023 at 6:18 AM, yellowrosefarm said:

Here is something different. That orphan calf I mentioned earlier has started growing a set of horns. I haven't had this before and am assuming it must be one of the bulls with the gene? Her Mom was an Angus/ registered Hereford cross and the 2 bulls I have are all black with no sign of horns.

807E752D-0DC7-4D49-BDA5-C0914F218867.jpeg

6959113E-3AF7-4562-B4D5-AF3971A5F687.jpeg

Registered horned Hereford or polled?

My guess horned

6 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Registered horned Hereford or polled?

My guess horned

Polled on the Hereford. I did get a chance to look at the bulls closer and one of them has what I have seen described as scurs, so he must be the one. Always something new to learn about cattle, I guess, when you get a late start in life owning them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hobbyfarm said:

Insane prices here on fat cattle, culls, and feeders.  I'm not sure it is sustainable.

Prices are good but I quit saying insane because of the cost to raise my beef has risen substantially 

A friend was talking to a buyer for Cargill.

He said our best beef is going overseas

That market will sustain these prices for another year.

The upcoming election will factor in. And that is an unknown for now.

Prices in the stores here are held down somewhat because a lot of the meat the American housewife is offered is imported or lesser quality.

It ires me to no end that most of the consumers in this country don't get to eat out finest beef.

I have eaten in some of the finest steak houses in Denver, NYC, Dallas ,Tampa, Amarillo, Phoenix and never had a better steak than what I am used to eating at home on a daily basis.

• Like 4