The cattle thread

ZG6E

1 hour ago, Lazy WP said:

Meet Wren and Zo. They are Austrian Full Blood Pinzgauers. I raised Pinzgauers back in the mid 70s up to 1983 when Dad broke his back. I have been hunting for a couple of cows for the past couple years. Finally got these 2 bought. 
The Pinzgauer breed is noted for their feed efficiency and carcass quality. They are a dual purpose breed. Dairy and beef. 
Wren is a bit bashful. Wouldn’t look me in the eye!🥴

AD655805-D122-4055-B49A-059D9325093E.jpeg

0BE99FEA-6A69-4778-9349-C2855DE44284.jpeg

Never seen one before.  I bet that was t a tough search.  Congratulations. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Wren is a bit bashful. Wouldn’t look me in the eye!🥴

I got one that'll look you in the eye Nick

Free to a good home.

She has the ability to make you run faster than you thought you could.

She is a real performance enhancer😄

IMG_20220930_191122502.thumb.jpg.3f60793172b1894eb7ae83e79085343e.jpg

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Free to a good home.

She is a real performance enhancer😄

Thanks Jeff but I like them a bit more docile than she appears. I am to old and fat for performance enhancing products. 

• Haha 5

15 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Free to a good home.

She is a real performance enhancer

Had one of those too until about 20 minutes ago when she went on the trailer with some others going on to retirement 😐. Second time she had been caught in about 7 years. Good riddance b!tch

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I usually turn my bull out June 1 as well. Usually get first calf about march 15, been as late as march 28 and as early as march 8. Yesterday tied that early one with this nice heifer. 

12D2BB9D-B31A-4C78-918B-D7D46A589AAD.jpeg

• Like 6

Really bad picture but a 13 hour round trip to ohio beef expo today and I have my next bull. He was more than I wanted to pay but still within budget. Real happy with him. Oh and he leads on a halter like a baby. 

D9001CB2-8AF6-4A3F-8A89-862AD30B9B42.jpeg

C1428848-A1CB-49BB-9EDB-1D63ADB258EF.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New Angus yearling bull.  Came from the Penn State performance sale.  My 21 year old pickup made a trip to Bittys sale last Wed and then a trip to the University Livestock Evaluation Center Friday. 

Demand for cattle and bull's seemed stronger then ever.  He is shoved in with the steers for a few weeks.  I applied for a grant through a program to promote PA beef and got $1000 off of the purchase price. 

20230403_192657.thumb.jpg.47ae4fa097580122bac5a9c247b1e2df.jpg20230403_192618.thumb.jpg.88536738fef239c1cb75a2f447c99490.jpg

• Like 4

New belted calf.  Momma cow is belted.  Last year she had an all black calf.  This year a look a like to herself.  She has a lot of milk in her.IMG_20230403_214938.thumb.jpg.69c35b230e1ad7aefe9b31965f87d754.jpg

• Like 6

Oldie but goodie

LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT OF A RANCHER

I leave:

To my wife…My overdraft at the bank.  Maybe she can explain it.

To my son…Equity on my car.  Now he’ll have to go to work to meet the payments.

To my banker…My soul.  He’s got a mortgage on it anyway.

To my neighbor…My clown suit.  He’ll need it if he continues to ranch as he has in the past.

To FHA…My unpaid bills.  They took some real chance on me, and I want to do the same for them.

To ASCS…My grain bin.  I was planning to let them have it next year anyhow.

To SCS…My farm plan.  Maybe they can understand it.

To the junk man…My machinery.  He’s had his eye on it for years.

To my undertaker…A special request:  six feed and fertilizer dealers for pallbearers.  They are used to carrying me.

To the weatherman…Rain, sleet and snow for the funeral, please.  No sense in having nice weather now.

To the grave digger…Don’t bother.  The hole I’m in should be big enough.

And last…To the monument maker…Set up a jig for the epitaph:

“Here lies a rancher who has now properly assumed all his obligation.” 

• Like 5

These are the bulls I bought last June. As many of you will remember I was unsure how 2 bulls would get along, and I got a lot of advise about it. They were sired by the same bull and raised together, so maybe that made the difference. No problems at all when they were with the cows and now are content to hang together for a while until June.  The recent calves I posted are from them. 

9A5BD491-512A-47AC-B645-AC7E93DC2E97.jpeg

• Like 6

The registered herd is done and NO I WAS NOT Getting closer to them. The older pair are friendly. Zoe, the new mom, is very protective!!

Now 2 commercial cows and we are done calving!! Makes me sound like a BIG rancher having a registered herd and commercial herd! all with 4 cows 

IMG_2974.jpeg

IMG_2973.jpeg

IMG_2978.jpeg

IMG_2977.jpeg

IMG_2976.jpeg

IMG_2980.jpeg

• Like 7

On 3/9/2023 at 7:07 PM, yellowrosefarm said:

This heifer showed up on February 22. I turned the bulls I bought in with the cows last June 1 so I was a little surprised to see her so soon. Seems to be doing fine though 

E6539BDD-6BDB-4C91-ADED-FFBF8A776B2F.jpeg

Her Mom dropped dead today. Pretty sure it was from the pnumonia that went though all the cows 2 years ago. The Vet at the time said this particular cow had  diminished lung function, but she seemed to do fine until now. This is the first time I have lost a cow with a calf still nursing. Any suggestions on what I should do for the calf at this point? She was born 2/22 and this is 4/16, so almost 8 weeks old. There are 3 other cows that are nursing similar age calves, and 3 that are due any time.

1 hour ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Her Mom dropped dead today. Pretty sure it was from the pnumonia that went though all the cows 2 years ago. The Vet at the time said this particular cow had  diminished lung function, but she seemed to do fine until now. This is the first time I have lost a cow with a calf still nursing. Any suggestions on what I should do for the calf at this point? She was born 2/22 and this is 4/16, so almost 8 weeks old. There are 3 other cows that are nursing similar age calves, and 3 that are due any time.

Put her on the bottle. I hate buying milk replacer but gotta keep her alive. If one of those cows loses a calf try to get her to take this one. I’ve only transferred a calf once and it worked no problem but I’ve heard I was lucky. Although at that  age it probably won’t work. I hate bottle calves so I usually try to get rid of them as soon as possible. Craigslist I’ve done once or twice and can basically name my price. Anyone with 5 acres wants a bottle calf. Last orphan I had a couple years ago a guy at work took, he has a few beef and had a son that could do the bottle feeding. I told him come get it tonight for $100 or tomorrow for $150. He was over in a half hour. 
I won’t tell you not to keep it as a bottle calf that’s your decision, for me I get tired of the bottle feeding. Gotta bottle feed it to keep it alive though and one calf will make a bag of replacer last a long time. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

If you were closer, I would stick it on 1 of the Pinzgauer. They have lots of milk. 
I agree that you probably should put it on a bottle for another month anyway. Add some grain and do away with the bottle in a month or so.  

• Like 2

Transition from bottle to bucket as soon as you can then start adding grain as soon as she shows interest.

The longer you feed milk, the better she will grow.

Lamb milk replacer works just as well if not better and doesn't have that used milk smell out the trailing end.🤠

It's crazy and makes no sense but I have seen day or two old calves bring $500 or more through the sale barn 

I have also seen them bring $50

Check your current market to see if you want the barn chores or not.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

,,,down under we would 'pen ' that calf...untill it got used to, as you guys say  "bottle''   feeding.......we use a single calf feeder, which clips  on the pen top rail or wire...(either or  )....and it takes very little time before calf is acutely aware of   what the single teat feeder is all about....then you just sort out the brew..  hook it on the fence night and morning, and calf will feed itself.....

Mike

After 24 hours with no food, should she look "pinched".  She actually looks like she has a full belly and has a big splat of manure on her back. Is it possible she is stealing enough milk?  She is probably about 125lbs and has not had any human interaction. So, it's going to be traumatic for her and me to try and get a bottle in her mouth.  She is bawling occasionally, but isn't really acting hungry.