The cattle thread

I got up to twins this morning. It's been a good while since that happened. Mom cow seemed really puzzled as she kept looking from one to the other.  Couldn't get close enough yet to see if they are 2 of a kind or mixed with a freemartin female. 

• Like 4
  • Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I cant remember if there has ever been a thread for pictures of cattle but I think there ought to be. I dont have many on my phone but I'll throw up what I do have.    First one is my prize

Some pictures from the last few weeks. 

I have a lot of cow pictures! I use my phone and take pictures so I can go back later and see when a calf was born, when the bull arrived, when I let them out to pasture, etc. of course I love the cow

Posted Images

Took cows back out after the storm cleared and it warmed up.

Could of swore I had them all out of the canyon at home. Called them up with siren, made plenty noise.

While haying them in the school section I see a black spot off in the distance back towards home.

Three year old must have been sleeping soundly. Woke up and wondered where everyone went. Headed towards us but in no hurry. Take couple steps, bite of grass, couple more steps bite of grass. 

Dang three year olds🙄😄🤠

IMG_20210319_113259544_HDR.thumb.jpg.7b7344f13aeb3beb9c3f775c52dcae5b.jpg

IMG_20210319_113336406_HDR.thumb.jpg.18111b7b1e31c22f3e0e9ef4c0b76998.jpg

This is the weirdest thing that's ever happened to me here. I got home from work today and went looking for the twins. Mom was happily grazing away so I knew they must be stashed somewhere. I found one, and in the process of looking for the other one, the one I spotted got spooked and started running. I didn't want to chase it so started walking a circuit to head it off when I heard something in the woods on the other side of the property fence. I couldn't believe a day old calf could have covered that kind of distance, so kept searching the area in between. This is in the woods with briers, berries and every other kind of underbrush imaginable. A few minutes later my neighbor through the woods showed up and said he had seen a calf over at his place. 4 of us searched the next 3 hours, even had a 4 wheeler rider looking, and never saw it again. I covered my 28 acres with a fine tooth comb and could find nothing of calf number 2 either. If I hadn't taken a picture of the 2 of them yesterday morning, I'd think I was going off my nut. So I had 2 and now I have none.??????????????

5 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

This is the weirdest thing that's ever happened to me here. I got home from work today and went looking for the twins. Mom was happily grazing away so I knew they must be stashed somewhere. I found one, and in the process of looking for the other one, the one I spotted got spooked and started running. I didn't want to chase it so started walking a circuit to head it off when I heard something in the woods on the other side of the property fence. I couldn't believe a day old calf could have covered that kind of distance, so kept searching the area in between. This is in the woods with briers, berries and every other kind of underbrush imaginable. A few minutes later my neighbor through the woods showed up and said he had seen a calf over at his place. 4 of us searched the next 3 hours, even had a 4 wheeler rider looking, and never saw it again. I covered my 28 acres with a fine tooth comb and could find nothing of calf number 2 either. If I hadn't taken a picture of the 2 of them yesterday morning, I'd think I was going off my nut. So I had 2 and now I have none.??????????????

I sure hope you find them. Chances are they are laying down somewhere until they feel safe and/or mom starts calling!

They'll probably show up.

I fall calve out in the hills. Have gone three or four days not being able to find newborns. Then all of a sudden, there they are.

They can be good laying very low and quiet.

If you bawl like a calf, will mom look a certain direction?

Bet she knows where they are.

Sometimes though as long as she has one she wont look for the other one.

Problem with twins.

• Like 1

So at zero dark thirty this morning she had one calf with her. I'm guessing that is the one we searched for yesterday. I did see where a bear had turned over trash cans on the road so maybe it carried off the other calf as well Sunday night. The afterbirth was also missing but coyotes could have gotten that. I guess I'll never know for sure, but am glad to have the one. And grateful to have neighbors willing to spend hours on a fruitless search.

• Like 2
On 3/23/2021 at 7:30 AM, yellowrosefarm said:

So at zero dark thirty this morning she had one calf with her. I'm guessing that is the one we searched for yesterday. I did see where a bear had turned over trash cans on the road so maybe it carried off the other calf as well Sunday night. The afterbirth was also missing but coyotes could have gotten that. I guess I'll never know for sure, but am glad to have the one. And grateful to have neighbors willing to spend hours on a fruitless search.

I was thinking of you yesterday and had to search up the thread. Still only one? Had our fourth this morning, was supposed to be the last calf born another month from now. 

On 3/23/2021 at 7:30 AM, yellowrosefarm said:

We had a tiny red calf last year that was crazy wild.  We were moving the herd between small neighboring pastures and it spooked. It blew through several well built high tensile fences and was gone out of sight.  With permission we searched neighboring properties half a day for this thing and never found it.  The next morning it was back like nothing ever happened.  We have no idea where it was or where it went.  It was hiding good if it was anywhere in the neighborhood.  Point being I learned something and maybe there is still hope that your calf is still out there.  

We had a set of freemartin twins last year.  I still have them and will finish them out to sell for freezer beef.  They aren't really too far behind the others we kept.

11 hours ago, rrr4quality said:

I was thinking of you yesterday and had to search up the thread. Still only one? Had our fourth this morning, was supposed to be the last calf born another month from now. 

Our vet doesn't use ultrasound for preg checking.  Previous vet at our old place did.  My little bit of experience is that the ultrasound is far more accurate.  Our calving dates vs actual are all over the place from what we were told this year.  Obviously most important to us is bred or not so not a big deal I guess.

• Like 2

Mom cow finally introduced the calf to the rest of the herd so I got to see it too. It's a bull calf that runs everywhere he goes. I haven't seen hide nor hair of the twin so I'm sticking with the bear theory. If it was anywhere on the place, my Collies would have found it by now. Also no vultures this week that I could see. 

I was taught if a calf runs away from the momma, you best be done for the day. By chasing farther from mom  your just setting it up for the bear ,mountain lion, or coyotes. Bringing people in looking for the calf that is already spooked only makes it run farther before it stops.  If the calf does not come back to momma talking to it, you get in trouble real soon. Maybe in open country from the air you would have a chance, but on the ground with the least bit of cover if it stays still you can be really close and never see it. I am in brush country if you ever get cattle really spooked you can go days without them showing. You can see they came to water but get like a wild animal. They hear and see you first and are gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Took a couple of pictures this morning of a few spring calves out on fresh pasture. I thought it made a good picture 

7F00DE35-4B91-4E68-9A8B-92BAC659C6A9.jpeg

FC691535-802B-4F72-9183-F4EEEA1C522B.jpeg

• Like 6

As we all know sometimes you can close the gate with one left behind. Well I did that the other day and this going to cull heifer decided she was spooky. I have tried her off and on for a few days now, open the gate and start to walk around her and out goes the tail. Not going to chase her or spook her any further she could go to **** for all I cared  Keep in mind she has not been a freak until she got  separated. Today she walked through the gate and looked like " took you long enough".  Lucky her, the 44 was at the house. 

Now if I could 49 more cull heifers short on brain cells I could make another starter herd for someone with absolutely nothing else to do 24 / 7 😁

I have a fun story about a heifer that got abused. One neighbor never helps or asks for help with his cattle. Has even told me not to go get my cattle out of among his. He will pasture them until he gets his to the corral (he has 7000 acres and only gathers twice a year). 

He calls and says I have one of yours in, hope you can come today she has been penned 3 days. Knowing his corral is not easy to load a stock trailer out of, I wait for my son to get home. She has her head up, starts to charge, but holds up and just paws dirt. So we move several panels he has in another pen, to make a wing off the gate we can back up to. We end up spending a hour get her close and not being fast enough to close the wing off. But with a good flack of hay in the trailer finally she is in and door closed.

My son says let's take her right to the auction, we don't need her kind. I say she is thin and grass is coming on she will put on lots of weight fast and with other cattle she will come in the corral easy. With in several days she looked much better. In a month we could not pick her out of the rest. As gentle as the rest never had any more trouble with her.

I don't know how he handles his cattle but hauls several little terrier dogs with him about the ranch. So I suspects he turned his doges on her in the corral.  Why did he pen her days without calling, with little to no hay, and no water in her pen. I hope he let her to water but would not bet on it.

Has been friendlier in the years since this happened but has been known to drink heavily. His great grandparents bought the ranch in the 1920 so his grandfather could drink his way through Probations. The grandfather was very generous with his whisky according to old stories. The old timers all told me getting less friendly every generation.

But never trust those dammed old cows. Had one that was first to the truck for hay easy to handle. Her udder went bad and time to sell her. She hide in the brush stayed by herself all summer. There is more brush than open ground around here. The rest are on the other side of road. But she never came close. Had a calf in the fall, she came in without a lot of trouble. Knew we needed to feed the calf. The longer she stayed in the corral so we could bottle feed calf the meaner she got. Was a real pleasure to put her on the trailer to the auction.

• Like 3

Interesting story, Ray

Well...I have just 'lost' our big lease block to an adjacent  diary farmer......:(...thus all my cows are going to the dreaded Freezing Works....and Damn...has it made me sad........just left with eighty odd calves

Big diary farmer who could buy and sell me before he breaks wind in the morning......Had a heck of a scene when I got home from the  "loopie"" two weeks .....The old Cook and the boy were most upset about it.....Beaten on tender price....

Picture of one of my "girls " guess she read my thoughts on her ignimonious fate....gratitude for producing top line calves...Diary/Beef cross x  Beef sire.....

Mike

IMG_1964 copy.jpg

• Sad 3

Feel for ya, getting beat by big business and losing a slice of life, insult loading em up and beat down on price, they are a part of you, glad you have 80 left

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, hardtail said:

Feel for ya, getting beat by big business and losing a slice of life, insult loading em up and beat down on price, they are a part of you, glad you have 80 left

Unfortunately   , Lance, a big slice of them will have to go .....also.....we just don't have the winter feed to cater for them now....

The diary farmer in question has another two large diary farms...plus started a trucking business, which put the other local trucking/contracting firm on the skids......I know this is  "business"   and all that, but in life one needs a bit of luck....even occasionally.....

I often talk about the luck of the  "genetic  draw".......This is a classic example ..this bloke is just a tad over 40 yrs old..........

I am quiite philosophical  about it....but i sure got a ''pizzling'' from the family after the two weeks up in the back country........the justification for which.....totally eluded me......                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Mike                                                                                                                          

• Sad 3

If you don't believe that cattle are herd animals, just separate one from the herd sometime.

Had a situation once where one of the bulls was on the opposite side of the creek from the rest of the herd. I was moving them to a different farm to clean up the corn stalks and just figured he would tail along later. When he didn't I hauled everything (about 3 miles) and thought he would be there waiting for me tomorrow, and I'd load him. Uh oh, bad idea. When he realized that his herd mates were gone, getting pizzed off was an understatement. That boy was in the mood to knock the schit out of anything that walked, talked, crawled or grew hair. Seriously..... I've been around some honky bulls and cows in various situations, but this was almost scary. Thank goodness I had the 4-wheeler and I could out manuver and outrun him. Had I been on foot somebody (me) could have been in trouble. As it turned out a couple days later he was in the corral and I was able to shut the gate and load him on the trailer. Took him over to the other bulls and cows, he got off the trailer, beller'd a couple of times, walked over to his herd mates, and never had another issue.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, ray54 said:

I like your red eyed ones. I know that is not traditional, but I have seen to many cancer eyed cows.

I assisted the vet at a neighbors as he removed an eye from a cow due to cancer. That was last year and the cow is getting along just fine. I hope that I don’t have to deal with that on any of mine!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ray54 said:

I like your red eyed ones. I know that is not traditional, but I have seen to many cancer eyed cows.

2 hours ago, rrr4quality said:

I assisted the vet at a neighbors as he removed an eye from a cow due to cancer. That was last year and the cow is getting along just fine. I hope that I don’t have to deal with that on any of mine!

When I still had white faced cows, it happened often enough I learned to remove eyes myself.

Really not that hard once you learn how to hit the optic nerve with a long needle and Lidocaine but a job I am glad I haven't had to do since I went all black.

Still have the tools to do it but glad to leave them in the back of the vet cabinet.

My latest little accident prone calf. First found him on the side of a creek bank a day or 2 after I knew his momma went to have him. Just thought she had him laying in the grass close by though. If his momma had a little fire in her I would of known something wasn’t right. She never gets to worked up. Stays calm and waits for me to come pull his *** out and goes about her day. This is how I found him tonight. Looks like he’s laying down but he’s standing up and got himself trapped. 

86B0BABF-FC0E-402E-8B5C-F91A0D48C500.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
On 4/11/2021 at 7:56 PM, ray54 said:

Hereford's started getting goggle eyed back in the 70's when they started infusing some Fleckvieh (German Simmental) blood to get some size and rate of gain. 

But the purebred Hereford folks will deny it. Shorthorn people did the same thing using Maine's.