The cattle thread

...couple of nondescript pics...taken by Daughter t'other day when shifting the 'girls'

...phone   pictures..not good...to bloody small

Mike

farm photoes.jpg

Screenshot_20210104-200432_Video Player.jpg

• Like 7
  • Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I cant remember if there has ever been a thread for pictures of cattle but I think there ought to be. I dont have many on my phone but I'll throw up what I do have.    First one is my prize

Some pictures from the last few weeks. 

I have a lot of cow pictures! I use my phone and take pictures so I can go back later and see when a calf was born, when the bull arrived, when I let them out to pasture, etc. of course I love the cow

Posted Images

4 hours ago, mike newman said:

...couple of nondescript pics...taken by Daughter t'other day when shifting the 'girls'

...phone   pictures..not good...to bloody small

Mike

farm photoes.jpg

Beautiful Mike ☺️

I know you love working with your cattle and that scenery is icing on the cake!

• Like 3
12 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Beautiful Mike ☺️

I know you love working with your cattle and that scenery is icing on the cake!

Right there, Jeff...but when you see those  ''girls'  '...maybe I should have referred to that mob as  ''nondescript".....:)..but they produce some splendid calves.....but the calf/beef prices have slid backwards....of late, down under....

...If you could have seen the old Cook and the boy   and me shifting the fifty hand reared calves across the river at home, you would have    "'laffed fit to bust "" as my Utah friend says.....

It is always difficult , and we usually have our two old house cows plus a couple of other old campainers who ''know the ropes'' when it comes to crossing the river, and they sort of lead the little blokes across...but they were up on the lease block...so...the Cook said 'no worries''.....we will lead them across via the calf nut feeder....they are so used to that ,because of course every day its out there , behind the Quad bike with the calf nut 'brew'' which they really like....The calf nut trailer is made of four vertical  halves of the 55gallon plastic barrels,set long ways in a galvanised frame, just wide enough to accomodate the half barrel  x four long, running on quad bike size  tyres...with a nice long extentable draw bar etc...simple but it will take a bunch of feed via its four vertically split barrels, .........so we chuck in about half a bag spread over the four compartments.....calves are crowding it, creep down to the river, start crossing with 20 plus calves shuffling along side whilst trying to eat the nuts......I get half way across, river is quiet..clear..beautiful actually....then a shout from the old Cook..look around and she is bellowing and waving at me.....the trailer had not been locked on the ball hitch properly...and was drifting off down the river.....calves watching in some bemusement before heading back from whence they came.....sigh....I guess you had to be there...but it was rather amusing.......and mildly (?) frusrating....

pic of the Baton River,off our swingbridge....calf crossing site is out of the pic...but it is only a modest river..

Mike

msg-157-1259353254.jpg

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, mike newman said:

Right there, Jeff...but when you see those  ''girls'  '...maybe I should have referred to that mob as  ''nondescript".....:)..but they produce some splendid calves.....but the calf/beef prices have slid backwards....of late, down under....

...If you could have seen the old Cook and the boy   and me shifting the fifty hand reared calves across the river at home, you would have    "'laffed fit to bust "" as my Utah friend says.....

It is always difficult , and we usually have our two old house cows plus a couple of other old campainers who ''know the ropes'' when it comes to crossing the river, and they sort of lead the little blokes across...but they were up on the lease block...so...the Cook said 'no worries''.....we will lead them across via the calf nut feeder....they are so used to that ,because of course every day its out there , behind the Quad bike with the calf nut 'brew'' which they really like....The calf nut trailer is made of four vertical  halves of the 55gallon plastic barrels,set long ways in a galvanised frame, just wide enough to accomodate the half barrel  x four long, running on quad bike size  tyres...with a nice long extentable draw bar etc...simple but it will take a bunch of feed via its four vertically split barrels, .........so we chuck in about half a bag spread over the four compartments.....calves are crowding it, creep down to the river, start crossing with 20 plus calves shuffling along side whilst trying to eat the nuts......I get half way across, river is quiet..clear..beautiful actually....then a shout from the old Cook..look around and she is bellowing and waving at me.....the trailer had not been locked on the ball hitch properly...and was drifting off down the river.....calves watching in some bemusement before heading back from whence they came.....sigh....I guess you had to be there...but it was rather amusing.......and mildly (?) frusrating....

pic of the Baton River,off our swingbridge....calf crossing site is out of the pic...but it is only a modest river..

Mike

msg-157-1259353254.jpg

Mike that story was so vivid, wife asked why I was "busting a gut" whilst eating dinner. If you have ever had a boring day, I don't know how you fit it in?

Thanks for the chuckle, Am going into the second half of my day in a helluva lot better mood than I left the first half. ?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a surprise calf today. Cow must have bred back in less than 30 days, which I was not expecting. Anyway, coldest night of the recent past and by the time I got home from work and found them, the calf was shivering bad and didn't look like it would make it. I spread a couple of square bales on the ground and got the calf on that and covered it with a blanket. Of course, the Mom cow wanted to kill me, and it was in a tough spot up in the woods, and my knee is hurt so I'm not very mobile on even a flat surface, and it's getting dark. So, I left them there and ate dinner. When I went back, the calf had gotten out from under the blanket and was not shivering any more. It also managed to get on all 4's and wobble a few feet. Not sure if it will make it, but I've done all I can at this point. Supposed to be 19 here tonight.

5 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Not sure if it will make it

Hopefully it keeps on pulling thru. Good luck.

4 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Had a surprise calf today. Cow must have bred back in less than 30 days, which I was not expecting. Anyway, coldest night of the recent past and by the time I got home from work and found them, the calf was shivering bad and didn't look like it would make it. I spread a couple of square bales on the ground and got the calf on that and covered it with a blanket. Of course, the Mom cow wanted to kill me, and it was in a tough spot up in the woods, and my knee is hurt so I'm not very mobile on even a flat surface, and it's getting dark. So, I left them there and ate dinner. When I went back, the calf had gotten out from under the blanket and was not shivering any more. It also managed to get on all 4's and wobble a few feet. Not sure if it will make it, but I've done all I can at this point. Supposed to be 19 here tonight.

If you havent seen him suck, Make sure he gets colostrum asap. When I spring calved I always kept frozen colostrum in the freezer to thaw out for such occasions. They do have powdered, not as good but better than nothing.

Ideally first feeding within 30 minutes, full feeding within 12 hours. After 24 hours calf's intestines can't absorb antibodies fully.

Many a calf spent the night in kitchen by the wood stove. Next morning to be reunited with mom.

19°aint too cold if he's sucked and is licked off and out of the wind.

Probably knew all this, apologize if so

Hope it turns out well for ya.

Calf was alive and well this morning and down out of the woods. That was a downright miracle. Where they were at, up in a rocky part of the woods, there was no way for me to get to them short of on foot. With my bad knee, 2 trips up there was all I could manage. Mom cow was very aggressive and the spot she picked to calve was easily defended. How that wobbly calf made it out of there and about a quarter of a mile to the pasture is beyond me.  Calling for 7-10" of snow overnight and tomorrow, but I fed a bale in front of the run in shed so maybe they will go in there.

• Like 4
53 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Calf was alive and well this morning and down out of the woods. That was a downright miracle. Where they were at, up in a rocky part of the woods, there was no way for me to get to them short of on foot. With my bad knee, 2 trips up there was all I could manage. Mom cow was very aggressive and the spot she picked to calve was easily defended. How that wobbly calf made it out of there and about a quarter of a mile to the pasture is beyond me.  Calling for 7-10" of snow overnight and tomorrow, but I fed a bale in front of the run in shed so maybe they will go in there.

Glad to hear it all worked out!

Sounds like you got them where they need to be. 

Hope the storm isn't too bad. Where I live, you never cuss moisture, even snow?

• Like 1

In the 30 years I've lived on this place, we had only one serious drought. It lasted on and off the better part of 5 years, and by the end, the only water in the whole valley was a spring on our place. An old man had cows on this place and the neighboring place totaling about 60-70 head back then. That pinky finger sized stream of water kept them all alive. Everyone else was hauling water from wherever they could find it. More typical for us is ankle deep mud, or a whole summer with no more than 3 days in a row without rain.

2 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Calf was alive and well this morning and down out of the woods

Glad to hear calf is doing ok and they are closer to shed for you to able to keep a better eye on.

Yearlings from winter/spring calving. Just one morning doing chores

IMG_20121125_075027.jpg

• Like 1
17 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

That's good to hear! It really is amazing how some of the calves can pull through the nasty weather. If it's a good cow the cold will be no issue. Some of them can lick that calf drier than heat. Some of those cows like to find the biggest snowbank to calve in too for some reason but if she's protective it usually works out. The cold and snow is much better then warm and sloppy

Last winter we had a few surprises. First one was not expected at all. We were out working in the bush and for some reason didn't get home till almost 10 that night. Was -38, and when I got home I seen dad was by barn, which only means there must be a calf. He found it when he was feeding up, must've been a couple hours old. The cow did a pretty good job licking it and it was up and sucked already. Anyway we brought them in and put the calf in the hot box. Her ears and tail ended up a little shorter than the others, but other than that would never know. We picked out our replacement heifers a few weeks ago and she's one of them. Going to be a very nice mother. 

• Like 1
On 1/10/2021 at 12:59 PM, mike newman said:

Mike

msg-157-1259353254.jpg

Not sure if I shared this one before, but we always had to cross the river twice a summer. First time was always interesting. 

5BFB5B57-51AE-418F-932B-3EA878076B39.jpeg

5447E86D-9737-4D48-8A2F-FFC174AD2062.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

-25 here this morning with a brisk 10mph wind. I feel bad coaxing the cows up out of the creek from their protection to feed but I don’t have much room down there to unroll hay.   Amazingly enough the creek has stayed open this last week and I haven’t had to chop Ice. I thought for sure with the wind blowing all night it would be iced over this morning.

70A04290-EF69-424F-9DE5-63B61C882C85.jpeg

7ACCDFBF-A9F7-45C7-8D82-7D3E7F7A4A48.jpeg

6DEF8692-CE82-466D-AC2D-E1202DDFD9DD.jpeg

09846103-9C95-4C58-A9D0-C6857E9CE307.jpeg

• Like 2

Can't put a price on a spring at the bottom of the canyon in this kind of weather. 

spring.thumb.jpg.50186ade99966c269dc8d204586bbcff.jpg

• Like 3

Well, got past the coldest night. 

Got all the cows fed this morning no problem.

This was the last I will have to feed these girls this winter. As soon as the crew gets here, we will move them 4 miles to a shipping corral on top (no getting trucks to the home corrals on the river bottom). Load out early tomorrow morning to get sent home to calve. I will see them again this summer.

Didn't realize how much this was stressing me. 

Big load of relief when I parked the "14" after done feeding for today!

My feeding time each day has been cut in half, yea me!

1549003080_Wildecowswinter21.thumb.jpg.4609a127c537db450fcb282bbf14fa7e.jpg

• Like 5

Used to run cows on the neighbors corn stalks. There was a spring in a small grassy ditch. Probably 6" wide and 3 ' long, never frozen, and flowed enough that they could go and drink at their leisure. Give them water and shelter, and they can stand a lot.

• Like 1

...brought our fifty odd hand reared calves in the yards for their third drenching....first two are ''down the throat''.....third is pour on....

These yards are small....I made them using posts from a boysenberry garden we used to have...hence the quarter rounds etc

Thats my old Cook.....waving the big stick, as usual....(she is the one with the "pioneer' cap...)...the calves are 16 to  18 weeks old.....dairy/beef X

We took them back over the swingbridge...they are not that keen on it...and it is quite amusing to see their antics ,as when they speed up..the bridge sways  ....calves weighed out at 210 down to 157(KG's )   2.4lbs per kilo....so we tried to have only about four or five on the bridge at once...last picture is the 'men' on their new feed paddock, watching the irrigation...

Mike

IMG_1285.JPG

IMG_1286.JPG

IMG_1284.JPG

IMG_1287.JPG

IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1296.JPG

• Like 5
12 hours ago, mike newman said:

...brought our fifty odd hand reared calves in the yards for their third drenching....first two are ''down the throat''.....third is pour on....

These yards are small....I made them using posts from a boysenberry garden we used to have...hence the quarter rounds etc

Thats my old Cook.....waving the big stick, as usual....(she is the one with the "pioneer' cap...)...the calves are 16 to  18 weeks old.....dairy/beef X

We took them back over the swingbridge...they are not that keen on it...and it is quite amusing to see their antics ,as when they speed up..the bridge sways  ....calves weighed out at 210 down to 157(KG's )   2.4lbs per kilo....so we tried to have only about four or five on the bridge at once...last picture is the 'men' on their new feed paddock, watching the irrigation...

Mike

IMG_1285.JPG

IMG_1286.JPG

IMG_1284.JPG

IMG_1287.JPG

IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1296.JPG

12 hours ago, mike newman said:

Mike

IMG_1285.JPG

IMG_1286.JPG

IMG_1284.JPG

IMG_1287.JPG

IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1296.JPG

Great pics Mike ,math check ; 1kg =2.204 lbs.

• Thanks 1

This was last nights baby. Somehow I got lucky through all the cold and snow we’ve had the last 2 weeks with only one calved before the big snow. I knew what was coming and kept an eye on her. Threw him in my pickup to get warm and turned him out in the world. How did I get so lucky. I heard rumor that a neighbor lost 20 with the weather.

D2BABAB5-2242-47DD-92AC-CE112788B6E4.jpeg

F8707E39-D3A9-4EA1-8E28-7AE4BFEB4D02.jpegThis is the only one I had to worry about in the cold. We had a nice visit. 

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 4:54 PM, yellowrosefarm said:

This years calves so far. The one in the middle is the one I didn't think was going to make it. Thankfully, the others are waiting until closer to spring to have theirs.

Bills phone 3-2021 071.JPG

• Like 3

First 2 calves of the year.  One born today.  One born 2/21.  Both bull calves.  Right or wrong they are going to be barnyard kept for awhile.  It is so muddy here it is unbelievable and there is still a lot of snow cover to melt.

KIMG0156.JPG

KIMG0155.JPG

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...