Sign in to follow this  
Jesse in WI

Cattle motivation, What do you use?

1 minute ago, db1486 said:

Yep and with calves push on the top of their tail, Kind of on each side of the tail bone, and they won't kick. 

We've never used a shock prod either. I tend to just direct with my hands but with calves the sorting stick is nice just for the extra reach. Very rarely do I actually use the stick for anything but guiding the animals. But you always get one miserable one in the bunch lol

Now that I think about it, the shock prod would be pretty nice for the cows that just won't moooooove

Sorry, couldn't resist 😂

• Haha 1

If I have to be down in the alleyway with the cow/calf I will hang both arms over their rump and never say a word, they just think you are another cow pushing on them. I turn sideways so if they do kick, it will usually go past you, cows tend to kick out just a bit, stay in the middle. If I'm really worried about them kicking I will turn almost backwards, muscles take a kick better than bone and your knee will bend with the kick. That being said I'm around a lot of different peoples cattle and I rarely get kicked at all and if I do, usually not hard enough to feel it the next day. More worried about getting stepped on if they come back. 

I have been in the cattle business all my life. I never use any type of hot shot.

The fastest way to work cattle is quiet and slow in good facilities.

Thx-Ace

• Like 1

I can sure agree about slow and quit being the fast way to work cattle. Also good facilities help but I have yet to see a lead up alley where you don't need hot shot.Not every cow but, but I have a the vet or who ever preg checks will go get a hot shot out of there truck if I don't have there.

I have also told people if they don't put the hot shot I did not need there help and they should go home.

The Dr Pol show makes me just shack my head, what is he and the livestock owner thinking. At least several heavy duty corral panels. 

3 hours ago, ray54 said:

I can sure agree about slow and quit being the fast way to work cattle. Also good facilities help but I have yet to see a lead up alley where you don't need hot shot.Not every cow but, but I have a the vet or who ever preg checks will go get a hot shot out of there truck if I don't have there.

I took the bulls in last spring for tests and the vet has a beautiful setup for running animals through. We ran one through, no problem then unloaded the other two. Got them off the trailer then you think they would go through the alley way? Nope. Just standing there. Not causing grief or nothing. Vet says most guys unload and they're in the chute and just running through. He said your bulls are too quiet. They won't move lol. I walked along the alley tapping them on the back, talking to them and they walked in to the headgate. Never needed the hotshot once, just a bit of patience. And of coarse I didn't bring a pail of grain along. That would've helped. The last thing I want to do is rile up the animals. Guys cant get over how we can sort or run 100 pair through for whatever reason here in no time, just me and dad. Add a stranger and usually the time doubles or triples. Only time we need a bunch of guys is moving to different pastures, but we gotta walk them down the road.

• Like 1

This thread reminds me of a good story. Been around dairy animals a lot through a family farm, then I started working "up north" where cattle stations the size of small US states blend with mining sites. Had my fair share of getting close to these free roaming brahmin-cross animals whilst I was in a vehicle, but never on foot. One time staying at a mining camp there was a group of animals in the camp, they'd come in to graze the lawns and the gardens. I was walking to dinner and thought I'd move close to this yearling on the footpath and it would hurry along. Big mistake, I got within its personal space and instantly swung its head around and had a go! Laughed at myself the rest of the night, thinking I could treat free range animals like a dairy animal.

I just run the way I want my cows to go and they chase me where ever I go

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Jesse in WI said:

Having been kicked right in the knee by a 500lb soon to be steer on multiple occasions I would agree the closer the better. 

There's no way I'm climbing in the lane with a cow. I had one very close call to meeting my good Lord when a crazy cow decide to try and escape by jumping over me and a 5 foot tall corral fence. I was positioned between her and the fence when gravity took over. I barely made it out before she landed on the fence.

That’s why I stay outside the alley. You need someone to call 911 when it goes wrong. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ky966boy said:

I just run the way I want my cows to go and they chase me where ever I go

We bought a herd once that was being neglected and had pretty little human interaction. I think to get them in the pens we just walked from the backside on the field and as soon as they saw us, it was nose in the air, and they took off the other way. Never had to get close to them lol. They were so scared of people as soon as they see you, it was gone the other way

• Like 2

I use every option in my arsenal if I have to but most of the time just a stick is all I need. I use the old hotshot brand rechargeable green hotshots but they stay in the pete and truth be known the batteries are dead so I would have to plan on needing them to use and according to my wife I don't plan anything. As for gathering or searching it's always the atv. Horses are great but most of the time I need to find a cow and only 30 minutes of daylight left. I'm up and gone at 5am for 12 hours of the day so morning feedings don't happen. Throwing a quick rope from outside the pickup works if I just need to give 1 or 2 a shot without pens. once they figure that out it's unlikely I'll get that close again without a feed sack so you better catch  

If I had the choice I'd take the good cow horse over the atv. In my younger days horseback was the only way I went out checking. I had a horse that knew more than I did and I grew up around cattle. He didn't work to good as a rope horse cause he'd get hot and blow up but he was golden in the pasture. You could trust him to get you through some hairy situations without a stumble. I just lost him back in December. He was 33 years old. He'd been retired for his last 10 years and kept his muscle tone till the last 2 years then his age started showing. Sorry for the novel but good horses ( I have a couple others but he was the best cow horse I ever threw a leg over) and good stories of how we use to work cattle can be hard to come by anymore

• Like 2

after close to forty years, the only thing I know about cattle is if you act like you have all day it goes pretty fast, and if you get in a hurry it will take all day

• Like 4

20 hours ago, sandhiller said:

It's always easier to pull a cow than to push her. I talk to mine also and they know by what I say to come to me or move away from me. As for feed, cake is a wonderful tool. I have a little story for you too. The place I am on is split by Medicine creek and it is some nasty rough canyon that is hard to cover horse back. It used to take 8 riders to run the creek to clean it out. Now I go out an hour ahead of the riders and can usually have them all on top by me and the riders will follow them follow me home! The following picture is of me out a couple days ahead of the fall gather training/reminding them to come to the cake pickup. It's a little hard to judge distance but those cows are coming from a long way off to my siren. 

comin to cake.jpg

What do you use for a signal a fedeal signal siren?

4 minutes ago, BOBSIH856 said:

What do you use for a signal a fedeal signal siren?

I've had several over the years, different brands, got this awhile back when my other one started going bad and drawing too many amps. It works as good as any of 'em.

https://www.amazon.com/NRS-Pierce-Standard-Cattle-Siren/

siren.jpg

1 hour ago, 234-IA said:

, the only thing I know about cattle is if you act like you have all day it goes pretty fast, and if you get in a hurry it will take all day

so very true!