Sign in to follow this  
mader656

Need vehicles for parents

Mom and dad are needing a vehicle their current car is a pile of junk. 

Dad can't drive any more, mom isn't that great of a driver specially at night. Mom will likely move near us in a year or so. So

Good lights 

Reliable

Easy to drive/ good on snow

And easy to get in and out for a bigger person.

Good visibility

3-5 years old. 

I suggested a jeep grand cherokee but they weren't to keen on that as they took bad advice and got a Cherokee and did not like it...

Im thinking mid size SUV. 

Dad asked brother and I too look. Im hoping that we can find a decent salt free vehicles so what's good?

The only thing I would recommend is most likely too big. Tahoe.

Rick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ford Edge, or even a Ford Escape.  Couple girls I worked with had over 200,000 miles on their Escapes with NO problems, just tires & brakes.

Buick Enclave or chevy traverse. My mil had a 2000 Jeep then a Nissan Murano now has a 08 Buick or so and loves it.

9 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

GMC Acadia. Nice comfortable car/ SUV and easy to get in and out of.

How’s Dad? 🙏

Slow downhill slide...good days and bad. Very tired all the time. Loved to use his wood shop but can only manage 15 minutes.

Im a little frustrated when you give a guy a 3 month prognosis with no treatment why the h*ll dies it take 3 weeks to start treatment.... He had another MRI but he feels tumor growth..... 

• Sad 5

I would say no on the Ford Escape.  My uncle lost the engine in his at ~100,000 miles.  Local Ford dealer put a new engine in and it’s not the first Escape they’ve done.  Plus on some of those Escapes you have to remove the front left tire to change out the alternator.

We have a Chevy Traverse and a Ford Explorer.  I am 65 years old, have severe spinal stenosis and bad knees.  Both are great for me to get into and out of.  Traverse has a little more of a "large vehicle" feel and ride to it while the Explorer is slightly smaller in physical size and more nimble to maneuver but the ride is not quite as nice.  We bought the Explorer new in 2005, it now has 205,000 miles on it and still runs like a sewing machine.  

• Like 1

Something all wheel drive for snow. In our car pool we have 13 equinox, subaroo forester, and my Taurus. All of them all wheel drive and do ok for snow. Wouldnt recomend Taurus for older folks getting in and out of. Wife has front wheel drive 13 edge. Has been pretty good to us. Daughter has a 15 escape but not long enough to say ya or neigh on. It does seem to get around good its awd also. I would say any mid to full size awd crossover or suv in your fav brand would do them well.

Dont the Equinox/Acadia have an engine issue? Something with the heads or head gaskets? Fine once they are repaired but beware if they havent?

Not putting them down. I know at work they had a bunch of them as corporate vehicles and they werent wanted by anyone. Think most went to auction except a few that already had engine work done. I dont remember what it was about.

1 minute ago, new guy said:

Dont the Equinox/Acadia have an engine issue? Something with the heads or head gaskets? Fine once they are repaired but beware if they havent?

Not putting them down. I know at work they had a bunch of them as corporate vehicles and they werent wanted by anyone. Think most went to auction except a few that already had engine work done. I dont remember what it was about.

True the 4 cyl ones have an issue. Scratch those i guess....forgot all about that. 😕

47 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Plus on some of those Escapes you have to remove the front left tire to change out the alternator.

welcome to car repair in the 21st century.  There was an embossment on right front inner fenders on Firebirds, 1970 to 1984 or so where you cut the hole  to replace heater motor and heater hoses.

1 hour ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

welcome to car repair in the 21st century.  There was an embossment on right front inner fenders on Firebirds, 1970 to 1984 or so where you cut the hole  to replace heater motor and heater hoses.

Late 60's, early 70's full size pontiacs had that same issue.........

If you got the heater motor from GM, the patch panel was in the box.

Mike 

Wife has a Ford  Escape it does good. Don't know alot about Ford Flex other then a friend is letting me drive it while I find a axle shaft for my Dodge truck. It seens easy to get in and out of but it's only front wheel drive.

2 hours ago, new guy said:

The 2008 model year V6 in them has timing chain/belt issues. Its lets go and that's about it for the engine. 

• Thanks 1

I would suggest looking into the old style Escape if you can find one without too many miles.  We really like ours.  I am an old fat man.

I’ve had three escapes an 03,06, and a 15 all were good just watch on the newer one with the turbocharged 1.6 they require a timing belt change at 150000 and I think the tools for it are about 200 just got a 19 Durango and we love it

3 hours ago, FarmallFan said:

The 2008 model year V6 in them has timing chain/belt issues. Its lets go and that's about it for the engine. 

These were newer. A few years old or less. I bought an Impala off them and that is a 2016. I think they are all that age. 80k miles and they send em out the door. I was told the dealer(Karl Chevy) didn't want the equinoxs back.

Do they still make mini vans?  My parents had one in the early 2000s.  It would HOG through snow just as good as any small SUV.  It got better mileage than a small SUV and was easier to get in and out of.

I have an AWD 2008 Ford Escape 153,000  love it. only problem I had the rear end was noisy. had it checked out and ended up putting in another rear end (Hog head) with different results adding Lucas oil treatment for rear ends, quieted right down. No problem since then. Love the way it rides.  Now , My dad has trouble getting around, uses a walker and drives a Lincoln Continental. Easy for him and mom to get in and out of. Rides like a dream and goes in snow. Just my two cents worth. Pembroke 

Think he said was looking for 3 to 5 years old but agree first gen escapes were good. We bought an 05 awd new and sold it last year. Only thing is those are prone to rust issues in rear wheel wells as well as front craddle/subframe as they get older. Look them over carefully if you consider them an option.

There is a theme in everyone's suggestion that I was going to state. The Equinox / Escape style crossover, small SUV seems to be a real good choice for "well experienced" people who's bodies don't readily contort.

Pretty much every car manufacturer has a model or two in the category these days.

Best way to put it, whatever vehicle you look at, check how wide the doors open and how high the seats are. Check for solid grab handles around the door openings. It should be no harder to get in/out than sitting down at the dinner table. Try getting in and out while using a cane to help support yourself.

Controls should be simple, large/easy to read, and in familiar places. Complex info-tainment systems are probably a bit of sensory overload. Some of the foreign cars have so many buttons, in the wrong places, I have to look a few seconds to figure them out.

For my own vehicles, I like a robust powertrain for longetivity and performance. But, in a case like this, power is probably a liability, even the base cars scoot compared to 20-30 yrs ago. Longetivity.... how many miles a yr are they driving? I don't think my elderly grandparents put on 4000 miles a yr and that # drops annually. 

Big thing, safety. As age advances, the chance of an accident increases. You want to look at crash test ratings and safety equipment. Also, that the car structure isn't compromised by rust or other factors.

I could go on but you get the picture....

• Like 4

Go with the Grand Cherokee!  Get a Laredo if they can't or don't want too much tech stuff (touchscreens etc).  Mom has one, wife has one, several friends have them.  Heard my Aunt is looking for a car soon so I am going to steer her towards one as well.

My cousin's wife has a '16 Explorer, not sure on the trim level but it's a higher one.  Not impressive at all....our Grand is way better imo opinion, both interior comfort and ride quality.  Our Grand is an Altitude, which is a Laredo with the blacked out trim and the 8" touchscreen.  Idk that you can realistically compare a regular Cherokee to a Grand- two way different animals.

For what it's worth:  My mom (95yrs) swore by her early 2000's Chrysler Town and Country.  She has since (thankfully) stopped driving - a couple years ago - and gave it to a family friend.