Sign in to follow this  
mader656

Need vehicles for parents

On 2/7/2019 at 4:37 PM, DOCTOR EVIL said:

welcome to car repair in the 21st century.  There was an embossment on right front inner fenders on Firebirds, 1970 to 1984 or so where you cut the hole  to replace heater motor and heater hoses.

The water pump on our 2012 Traverse started leaking.  I watched a you tube video on replacing it.  Have to remove the front right tire and wheel and part of the inner fender to get to it and it can only be accessed from below the vehicle so I opted out of doing it myself and sent it to the stealership.  $800 plus tax to replace it.  That engine compartment on that vehicle is CRAMMED FULL.  My days of getting down on a creeper and rolling around on the floor are over thanks to my back and knees.  The Explorer has the 4.6 V8 and has a little more wiggle room under the hood and is slightly more "old shade tree mechanic" friendly for minor repairs.  Still have the 7.3 powered Super Duty, 120,000 miles on it now, it mainly sits in the garage.  I take it out once a month if the weather is nice to keep the batteries charged and everything working good on it.  I think that 7.3 engine is just getting broken in good, it runs better than ever.Image may contain: tree, car, sky and outdoor

On 2/7/2019 at 2:58 PM, mader656 said:

Mom and dad are needing a vehicle their current car is a pile of junk. 

Dad can't drive any more, mom isn't that great of a driver specially at night. Mom will likely move near us in a year or so. So

Good lights 

Reliable

Easy to drive/ good on snow

And easy to get in and out for a bigger person.

Good visibility

3-5 years old. 

I suggested a jeep grand cherokee but they weren't to keen on that as they took bad advice and got a Cherokee and did not like it...

Im thinking mid size SUV. 

Dad asked brother and I too look. Im hoping that we can find a decent salt free vehicles so what's good?

I think your spot on with the grand. A nicer vehicle you will not find

On 2/7/2019 at 5:37 PM, DOCTOR EVIL said:

welcome to car repair in the 21st century.  There was an embossment on right front inner fenders on Firebirds, 1970 to 1984 or so where you cut the hole  to replace heater motor and heater hoses.

Having to take the tire off to change an alternator sounds like a treat compared to some procedures on cars these days. Certainly not a consideration on what vehicle to buy. 

A few people have mentioned a Grand Cherokee, I guess I'm not familiar with the current model, but don't they sit up a bit?

It may be easier for a person to raise themselves up into a vehicle, but they still have to come down. The seat height should be approximately the same as a couch, maybe a couple inches higher.

Open the door, turn about so your rear faces the car, sit on the seat, then lift your legs in and turn while seated. If your legs and lower back don't work like they used to, a step up or a crouch down are sub-optimal.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cattech said:

A few people have mentioned a Grand Cherokee, I guess I'm not familiar with the current model, but don't they sit up a bit?

It may be easier for a person to raise themselves up into a vehicle, but they still have to come down. The seat height should be approximately the same as a couch, maybe a couple inches higher.

Open the door, turn about so your rear faces the car, sit on the seat, then lift your legs in and turn while seated. If your legs and lower back don't work like they used to, a step up or a crouch down are sub-optimal.

My mother’s is a 2011, look pretty much like the current ones, I’d say it’s about optimal back side height. Perhaps it’s higher than is perfect for a shorter person but it’s also not hers to stand up from either. 

Wouldn't a lower seating position car be more difficult for older people to get out of?

Another one to consider may be a later model Town & Country, for the seating position, but they have no 4x4 option; they are not as reliable as the Grand is either.

7 hours ago, 5088 said:

Wouldn't a lower seating position car be more difficult for older people to get out of?

Another one to consider may be a later model Town & Country, for the seating position, but they have no 4x4 option; they are not as reliable as the Grand is either.

I think they offered AWD for a while, I always felt low cars were a hard in and out , but many old ppl seem to gravitate towards sedans.:blink:

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

I think they offered AWD for a while, I always felt low cars were a hard in and out , but many old ppl seem to gravitate towards sedans.:blink:

Dodge Journey AWD could be a good alternative. They have good seat height but aren't too tall to get in and out of. 

When i was laid up with a broken hip a car was and still is the worst. Steping down and lifting leg over that lip vs sliding in and sliding leg into suvs.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, mader656 said:

When i was laid up with a broken hip a car was and still is the worst. Steping down and lifting leg over that lip vs sliding in and sliding leg into suvs.

I HATE Subaru but my wife’s forester is a good midway point in terms of seat height 

On 2/8/2019 at 4:40 PM, DT361 said:

For what it's worth:  My mom (95yrs) swore by her early 2000's Chrysler Town and Country.  She has since (thankfully) stopped driving - a couple years ago - and gave it to a family friend.

My mother has a T&C and also loves her's.  She's going to be 94 in about a month and while greatly reducing the amount she drives she still does for short trips to places she knows well.  

51 minutes ago, mader656 said:

I agree 100% with that.  I can get into either one of our SUV's much easier than I can get into my elderly mother's 2004 Accura car.  And mom can get into our SUV's easier than she can get into her car also.

I like Grand Cherokees - my '95 served me well until a rear control arm rusted away from the frame at ~300K.  My sister has around a '16 (I think) and it was waaaay overpriced in my opinion.  Loaded, but set her back around $50K new, I think.  That's ridiculous, to me, but I drive a beater '97 Explorer, and hers is a business vehicle/write off.....

Two things to note:  1) Sister's Grand has air bag suspension and has a 'curb drop' function that lowers the vehicle by 2-3".  2) Leather is better for ingress/egress than cloth; cloth is "sticky", leather lets you "slide" in and out.  My 95yr mom can get in and out of sister's Grand, but not my Explorer with cloth.

Thanks

Mark

The easiest car I know of to get into is a Lincoln Town Car, or whatever its' replacement is today. And it rides like a boat on smooth ocean.

Old folks with difficulties would probably have a good ride.

Limo service runs some, and as compared to our  Suburban it was an air ride!!

For minimal transportation a little Nissan Versa is fool proof and bullet proof if they are like the one we have had since 2013.

16 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

AWD minivans was short lived in the late 90s, maybe '97-'00.  Those vans were so bad that I wouldn't recommend one to anyone.

I'd like them to go grand Cherokee, but they had a lemon Cherokee and it burnt them, we loved ours my good friends loved them enough to have 5. 

They do need higher clearance and 4wd to visit us some times.... Plus i think mom will move this direction in a year or to and I'll be fixing so...

Subarus...the only vehicles I've contemplated smoking to calm my nerves while pulling the fuel tank to fix the leak....

In my experiences with the SUV's I've had so far for reliability and good in the snow I would say Tahoe if its not too big for them, will probably need some good running boards or if you want a smaller crossover SUV go with a Toyota RAV4.

Had a Ford Explorer and it was comfortable and did good in the snow but for the reliability category on a scale of 1 to 10 I give it a -28.

5 minutes ago, cgage said:

In my experiences with the SUV's I've had so far for reliability and good in the snow I would say Tahoe if its not too big for them, will probably need some good running boards or if you want a smaller crossover SUV go with a Toyota RAV4.

Had a Ford Explorer and it was comfortable and did good in the snow but for the reliability category on a scale of 1 to 10 I give it a -28.

Our 2005 Explorer has well over 200,000 miles on it, we purchased it new.  It has had brakes done twice, ac compressor replaced, blend door actuators replaced a couple of times, suspension rebuild once and a couple of oil leaks fixed over the years which I consider to be expected maintenance with that many miles.  No drive train component failures.  Only engine issues have been oil leaks.  Never left the wife or I stranded like some other vehicles in the past.  It has always sat inside at night.   I took this photo a couple of weeks ago, it has been demoted to my daily driver, she drives the Traverse.  Image may contain: sky, car, tree and outdoor

21 hours ago, mader656 said:

I'd like them to go grand Cherokee, but they had a lemon Cherokee and it burnt them, we loved ours my good friends loved them enough to have 5. 

They do need higher clearance and 4wd to visit us some times.... Plus i think mom will move this direction in a year or to and I'll be fixing so...

Subarus...the only vehicles I've contemplated smoking to calm my nerves while pulling the fuel tank to fix the leak....

What year Cherokee and what were the issues?  Chrysler has stood behind the new KL Cherokee ('14-current) pretty well.

On 2/7/2019 at 3:58 PM, 12_Guy said:

Ford Escape. Wife is on her 4th one. Loves em. No problems. 

I agree with this 

33 minutes ago, 5088 said:

What year Cherokee and what were the issues?  Chrysler has stood behind the new KL Cherokee ('14-current) pretty well.

Older 2000ish 

T cases, front axles, extra rust. Engine issues (wasn't a 4.0 i dont think)

Back to the Ford Escape, they have WAY more room in them than their smallish size would indicate. My sister had a Chevy Trailblazer that I despised, no leg room or head room. I hit my head on the door frame nearly every time, hat rubbed on the roof, etc. No problems in the Escape for a 6' tall guy. A friend who is 6'5" has ridden in the back seat numerous times and says he is comfortable. Point is that they are bigger inside than some larger vehicles like that awful Trailblazer. Good luck with whatever you find. 

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 8:06 PM, mader656 said:

Older 2000ish 

Odd.  They leaked everywhere but were very reliable.  Axle bearings sometimes, could get pricey.  Still, most people that had those loved them.  Nothing from that era relates to the current Jeeps other than the hood emblem.

On 2/12/2019 at 9:06 PM, mader656 said:

Older 2000ish 

was it a grand? was it used? the v8 transmissions were kind of a weak link, I suspect however better maintenance and a gentler  foot would have made a difference in them. 

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

was it a grand? was it used? the v8 transmissions were kind of a weak link, I suspect however better maintenance and a gentler  foot would have made a difference in them. 

Regular Cherokee tranny was fine t case went bad often