Jump to content
ST-470

State of the Union

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, new guy said:

 and improve the process to become a citizen. Yes there will still be illegals here but that number should go down as the process improves. Jmho.

This.  If people want to do it legally make it so they can.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mike_newman said:

........We can assume that diplomacy is not your long suite...??...  Did some American piss you off   during your recent trip  there ????....Have you been out in the sun a bit much, of late ??

....the term "Yank"   you used,    originally applied  to the Northern States  Soldiers  , I believe......not to our friends here on Red Power....

......I witnessed    a French Canadian....calling a  bloke from Alaska.....that sobriquet  you used......the result was not pretty

.......something for you to ponder on

Mike

Don't be so sour, you're free to join as our 7th state whenever you like bro🤣 Not all yanks are so delicate as that either, considering the Union won.

It is nice to see people of various stances discussing the illegals situation with a bit more nuance and tact than "THEY TOOK OUR JERBS SHOOT EM ALL!" but I have to laugh at anyone supporting this wall nonsense. It's very clearly just being used as a wedge issue to distract from other issues. There's no sane reason to construct a literal wall across the US border, as opposed to increasing the level of the current border systems in place no doubt for much cheaper. A wall is no good unless it's constantly manned, anyone wanting to get through an unprotected wall could do so very easily... And the fact the president shut down the government over it, over one single bill, is hilarious. Real tantrum stuff, but doing some research I see Reagan was a real fan of it too. We sorted out that supply-blocking-nonsense back in the 70s where our Prime Minister was sacked by our head of state because of it. Not a very delicate solution, but it has never happened since. Then again we don't run on a two party system either.

 

And what's with this "socialism" buzz word being thrown around? I don't think it means what some people think it means, some bogeyman. 20 billion dollars a year in ag subsidies sure sounds like socialism to me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rusty, all this time we have been searching for a leader with the answers/solutions to our problems.

And here you are hiding on Red Power!

Ever consider flying over to help us?

Are you involved in politics in your country?

And it`s OK to call us Yanks too.

MAGA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MTO said:

 

MAGA.

Make Australia Green Again?

That would take some SERIOUS plate tectonics activity, and a whole lotta time.

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MTO said:

Rusty, all this time we have been searching for a leader with the answers/solutions to our problems.

And here you are hiding on Red Power!

Ever consider flying over to help us?

Are you involved in politics in your country?

And it`s OK to call us Yanks too.

MAGA.

Naw Mark, you wouldn't like the solutions they have. Their government is getting pretty repressive. You can do a little research. I use to think I'd like to visit there. Not any longer. I think the next time they are threatened by Japan we should just let the Japanese have em.

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just glad rusty bottoms has such a grasp on our politics and knows what will and won't work here. After all, everything works the exact same in the United States as it does in Australia.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldtanker said:

I think the next time they are threatened by Japan we should just let the Japanese have em.

Chuckle, concur!

best, randy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RustyNumbat said:

 There's no sane reason to construct a literal wall across the US border, as opposed to increasing the level of the current border systems in place no doubt for much cheaper. A wall is no good unless it's constantly manned, anyone wanting to get through an unprotected wall could do so very easily... And the fact the president shut down the government over it, over one single bill, is hilarious. 

 

Easy for you to say when you live on an Island out in the middle of nowhere. I agree a wall would do you absolutely no good :) 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ST-470 said:

Easy for you to say when you live on an Island out in the middle of nowhere. I agree a wall would do you absolutely no good :) 

ST-470.....I don't condone ,the Australian's  remarks......not at all.....but ,the "island in the middle of nowhere'  is almost as big as your country................actually it is called a continent.....not an island...........Just thought we could introduce a bit of geography  into this thread:).....and get away from the Antipodean's   thoughts on US Politics..

Mike

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mike_newman said:

ST-470.....I don't condone ,the Australian's  remarks......not at all.....but ,the "island in the middle of nowhere'  is almost as big as your country................actually it is called a continent.....not an island...........Just thought we could introduce a bit of geography  into this thread:).....and get away from the Antipodean's   thoughts on US Politics..

Mike

No offense meant to you Mike. I just don't care for those types of comments from someone that doesn't live in this Country. Sorry if it came across as rude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mike_newman said:

ST-470.....I don't condone ,the Australian's  remarks......not at all.....but ,the "island in the middle of nowhere'  is almost as big as your country................actually it is called a continent.....not an island...........Just thought we could introduce a bit of geography  into this thread:).....and get away from the Antipodean's   thoughts on US Politics..

Mike

Yes it is an island continent. A wall is not needed with water surrounding you. I dont believe his neighbors are quite the same as what comes up from Mexico. There are some very good hard working honest immigrants from Mexico. We need to make it so those people can come in. We need to keep the bad ones out. This has been a long standing problem without a simple solution.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mike_newman said:

ST-470.....I don't condone ,the Australian's  remarks......not at all.....but ,the "island in the middle of nowhere'  is almost as big as your country................actually it is called a continent.....not an island...........Just thought we could introduce a bit of geography  into this thread:).....and get away from the Antipodean's   thoughts on US Politics..

Mike

my late father always told me, that religion and politics are a private matter

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mike_newman said:
1 hour ago, ST-470 said:

No offense meant to you Mike. I just don't care for those types of comments from someone that doesn't live in this Country. Sorry if it came across as rude.

 

None taken :)......just trying to ease  the post away from the Australian's  rather   rabid   view of the US political situation.......I have had some great times  in the US over  many years, with great  friends......hope to get one more trip in...at least B)B).......and it  ******   me off beyond belief   when I see  that sort of stuff   written on this forum......Australia  and now NZ have our own issues  with the elected hierarchy  .....no need to rush into print re the vagaries of  perceived  problems   with, in this case, the US system....    I would not say it is not our concern......there is a saying...."If America   sneezes.....NZ will catch the cold ".......but no way is it our place  (Non....Americans )  ....to  lambast  your political  system...when (a)  .....being a non resident ...and (b) .....be ing   basically a guest on an American Forum.....

That's how I see it anyway.......

Mike

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ozfarm said:

my late father always told me, that religion and politics are a private matter

 

..thankyou, Ozfarm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mike_newman said:

None taken :)......just trying to ease  the post away from the Australian's  rather   rabid   view of the US political situation.......I have had some great times  in the US over  many years, with great  friends......hope to get one more trip in...at least B)B).......and it  ******   me off beyond belief   when I see  that sort of stuff   written on this forum......Australia  and now NZ have our own issues  with the elected hierarchy  .....no need to rush into print re the vagaries of  perceived  problems   with, in this case, the US system....    I would not say it is not our concern......there is a saying...."If America   sneezes.....NZ will catch the cold ".......but no way is it our place  (Non....Americans )  ....to  lambast  your political  system...when (a)  .....being a non resident ...and (b) .....be ing   basically a guest on an American Forum.....

That's how I see it anyway.......

Mike

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

as randy sez " I concur"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't Australia have their own immigration problems. They are sending illegal immigrants to islands of other countries. The BBC said they were starving there and murdering and raping each other. Must be true if it's in the media. Hitler had the "final solution", Austrailia has the "pacific solution". That's what they call it. One of the islands is called Christmas Island. But I don't think Santa stops by. Hey we've got some land in Cuba. We could send illegal immigrants there and call it the Carribean solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Atilathehun99 said:

Make Australia Green Again?

That would take some SERIOUS plate tectonics activity, and a whole lotta time.

 

No till farming

Mike

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MarkG said:

Doesn't Australia have their own immigration problems. They are sending illegal immigrants to islands of other countries. The BBC said they were starving there and murdering and raping each other. Must be true if it's in the media. Hitler had the "final solution", Austrailia has the "pacific solution". That's what they call it. One of the islands is called Christmas Island. But I don't think Santa stops by. Hey we've got some land in Cuba. We could send illegal immigrants there and call it the Carribean solution.

You're quite right, the solution our government has shamefully stood by has been condemned by the UN and all.

 

Nice to see right wingers getting upset by some musings from someone on the other side of the world, though I wouldn't go so extreme as to call you snowflakes or something childish like that 😌

 

As for THE WALL, just like our country the USA has the biggest "illegals" issue through people coming on planes and staying over their visa terms, by a huge margin. You wouldn't need to slug the taxpayer XX-billion dollars to fund an improvement in security there. But WE NEED A LITERAL WALL is a dog whistle issue to get people emotionally charged, seems to work well. You have a nice big moat across a lot of your border, that doesn't help much so what will a wall achieve? Plus border crossing have apparently been dropping ever since the mid noughties, so it should be LESS of a hot topic than during the Bush Jr era! But again, it makes for a nice hot topic to get people divided on, and divert away from other things...

Suppose I'm not allowed to walk in and voice an opinion on a general discussion forum, since I ain't protected by a first amendment and all in my gulag here 🤯

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RustyNumbat said:

You're quite right, the solution our government has shamefully stood by has been condemned by the UN and all.

 

Nice to see right wingers getting upset by some musings from someone on the other side of the world, though I wouldn't go so extreme as to call you snowflakes or something childish like that 😌

 

As for THE WALL, just like our country the USA has the biggest "illegals" issue through people coming on planes and staying over their visa terms, by a huge margin. You wouldn't need to slug the taxpayer XX-billion dollars to fund an improvement in security there. But WE NEED A LITERAL WALL is a dog whistle issue to get people emotionally charged, seems to work well. You have a nice big moat across a lot of your border, that doesn't help much so what will a wall achieve? Plus border crossing have apparently been dropping ever since the mid noughties, so it should be LESS of a hot topic than during the Bush Jr era! But again, it makes for a nice hot topic to get people divided on, and divert away from other things...

Suppose I'm not allowed to walk in and voice an opinion on a general discussion forum, since I ain't protected by a first amendment and all in my gulag here 🤯

I agree politicians are good at using issues to divide/divert attention or get votes from one side or another. 

I think our southern border is still a significant problem. Wether or not a literal wall is the answer i dont know and yes it would need to be patrolled or monitored i agree. My thought tho is we need to get serious about ALL our borders and any politician of any party who is not willing to work reasonably towards that end should be voted out swiftly.

It is of upmost importance for many reasons we secure all our borders and reduce as much as humanly possible the flow of illegal crossings and even legal ones, thinking of potential terrorists attempting to gain access with last part of my statement.

Edit. Didnt mean we needed to reduce legal entry but rather know exactly who is and why they are entering our country.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Edit. Didnt mean we needed to reduce legal entry but rather know exactly who is and why they are entering our country.

The law is the law, you gain entry legally or we throw you out. I don't care how long you've been here.

  Do we need the wall? He!! yes its a financial  issue this country owes to much to take on any more liabilities. We can't even take care of the people we have.

Reagan gave them all amnesty,  then we were going to work on securing the boarder and all the liberals have been inviting them in and blocking the attempts to put up barricades so we still haven't secured it yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

The law is the law, you gain entry legally or we throw you out. I don't care how long you've been hear.

  Do we need the wall? He!! yes its a financial  issue this country owes to much to take on any more liabilities. We can't even take care of the people we have.

Reagan gave them all amnesty,  then we were going to work on securing the boarder and all the liberals have been inviting them in and blocking the attempts to put barricades so we still haven't secured it yet.

Um yes i agree. And what i thought i said in diff words?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jeeper61 said:

The law is the law, you gain entry legally or we throw you out. I don't care how long you've been here.

  

But what about someone who comes here on a visitor's visa and then works in the US before being granted a worker's visa?

How do you feel about these people?  Should they be punished for breaking our immigration laws?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Atilathehun99 said:

But what about someone who comes here on a visitor's visa and then works in the US before being granted a worker's visa?

How do you feel about these people?  Should they be punished for breaking our immigration laws?

Yes they broke the law they should be punished in some manor.

You speed you get caught you pay the consequences.

  Ignorance of the law is no excuse 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RustyNumbat said:

You're quite right, the solution our government has shamefully stood by has been condemned by the UN and all.

 

Nice to see right wingers getting upset by some musings from someone on the other side of the world, though I wouldn't go so extreme as to call you snowflakes or something childish like that 😌

 

As for THE WALL, just like our country the USA has the biggest "illegals" issue through people coming on planes and staying over their visa terms, by a huge margin. You wouldn't need to slug the taxpayer XX-billion dollars to fund an improvement in security there. But WE NEED A LITERAL WALL is a dog whistle issue to get people emotionally charged, seems to work well. You have a nice big moat across a lot of your border, that doesn't help much so what will a wall achieve? Plus border crossing have apparently been dropping ever since the mid noughties, so it should be LESS of a hot topic than during the Bush Jr era! But again, it makes for a nice hot topic to get people divided on, and divert away from other things...

Suppose I'm not allowed to walk in and voice an opinion on a general discussion forum, since I ain't protected by a first amendment and all in my gulag here 🤯

We all have problems. That's why England shipped you all there in the first place, to get rid of a problem🤣! What bothers me is that on the world stage each country has it's own set of problems. No other country has a right to get involved unless that problem is effecting them. Like in refugees fleeing into another country. Same with illegals. If the country they are from is aiding that activity or is so poorly run that they are seeking work/ a better life the "receiving" has a right to say something. Like with Brexit? Only the countries involved should have any say. Obama making speeches in England against it was none of the business of the US government.

4 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I agree politicians are good at using issues to divide/divert attention or get votes from one side or another. 

I think our southern border is still a significant problem. Wether or not a literal wall is the answer i dont know and yes it would need to be patrolled or monitored i agree. My thought tho is we need to get serious about ALL our borders and any politician of any party who is not willing to work reasonably towards that end should be voted out swiftly.

It is of upmost importance for many reasons we secure all our borders and reduce as much as humanly possible the flow of illegal crossings and even legal ones, thinking of potential terrorists attempting to gain access with last part of my statement.

Edit. Didnt mean we needed to reduce legal entry but rather know exactly who is and why they are entering our country.

We have a right to say who comes into our country and the right to deny entry to those we don't want here. I have no problem with legal immigration. 

36 minutes ago, Atilathehun99 said:

But what about someone who comes here on a visitor's visa and then works in the US before being granted a worker's visa?

How do you feel about these people?  Should they be punished for breaking our immigration laws?

If the break our immigration laws? Yes! It's a criminal act. You punish criminals. If while here on a visitors visa they want to work they can go and apply for a work visa.

Rick

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...