Sign in to follow this  
Farmall 1466

Oily fluid out of exhaust manifold IH 1466

Hey guys,

Our Farmall 1466 seems to have a problem, since an oily fluid comes out of the exhaust manifold.

Has anyone seen this before and does anyone have a solution for this? It is fairly annoying, because it causes oil spills on the floor.

Thanks,

Farmall 1466

Could be a number of things, idling for long periods of time, injectors, injection pump bad or turned up to much, timing could be off, cold weather, it may look oilly but it could be raw fuel mixed with soot 

Probably slobber or wet stacking. It's unburned fuel mixed with soot. Pull something heavy with or get it on a dyno if that's the case. Diesel slobber looks like engine oil but if you've seen it you know the difference. 

2 hours ago, 88power said:

Could be a number of things, idling for long periods of time, injectors, injection pump bad or turned up to much, timing could be off, cold weather, it may look oilly but it could be raw fuel mixed with soot 

The tractor does idle a fair bit, so that could be the problem indeed. We'll try to plow for a day and see whether it fixes itself or not 😀

2 hours ago, 88power said:

Having a pump "turned up too much" will not cause it to wet stack. The only time the pump would inject more fuel than stock is when a load is placed on it. If it's dumping in full load fuel at an idle with no load, there's other major problems lol! Wet stacking can be caused by cold cylinders, so late timing, faulty nozzles, low engine compression, poor cooling system not getting up to temp. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Injpumped said:

Having a pump "turned up too much" will not cause it to wet stack. The only time the pump would inject more fuel than stock is when a load is placed on it. If it's dumping in full load fuel at an idle with no load, there's other major problems lol! Wet stacking can be caused by cold cylinders, so late timing, faulty nozzles, low engine compression, poor cooling system not getting up to temp. 

Okay i read that in a previous post on here that could happen I guess I shouldn't believe everything I read lol. If you go back it's been a few weeks ago someone else asked about this. I know from previous experiences the idling,cold weather and timing issue caused that.

could be an injector not sealing and driping fuel. Or a partly plugged nozzle not spraying correctly

Could be a lot of things as mentioned. Unless your willing to go through it and spend some money I’d run it. They all do it when idling around a lot. Put down some cardboard. Wash it off and run it hard, I bet it goes away. 

X3. Load that engine and it wont "wet stack"  these engines do not like to idle, especially in colder weather. 

Slick

The easiest way to see is turn the pump down a half turn and see if it stops.  

jerry

4 hours ago, 88power said:

Okay i read that in a previous post on here that could happen I guess I shouldn't believe everything I read lol. If you go back it's been a few weeks ago someone else asked about this. I know from previous experiences the idling,cold weather and timing issue caused that.

On these and most inj pump/governors, the full load stop is just a limit screw. When at idle or part load the linkage is no where even close to the stop screw. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Slick1256 said:

X3. Load that engine and it wont "wet stack"  these engines do not like to idle, especially in colder weather. 

Slick

We live in the Netherlands, so it isn't that cold 🤣. But I will get it loaded for sure

Good looking tractor. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.                                               WES

1 hour ago, Farmall 1466 said:

This by the way the tractor, for the ones who are interested 😁

IH 1466.jpg

The best solution that I can offer is for you to give me your address so that I can send a container for the 1466.  I will gladly take care of the problem for you!!

Seriously though, it sounds like a classic case of slobbering or wet stacking from not being worked hard enough or idling too much.  Put a load onto the tractor and work it.  What the load is does not really matter.  Keep in mind that the exhaust manifold is cast iron which is porous and could be saturated with unburnt fuel, so it could take a few hours to clean up completely.

What is the square thing on the frame just ahead of the tool box ?

Old style ta handle and theottle on it. Interesting 

1 hour ago, Timothy56 said:

What is the square thing on the frame just ahead of the tool box ?

Its the box where we have the battery located. We decided to use an Optima battery instead of the 2 original ones. We left them just there for decoration. The Optima's let the tractor start better

Farmall 1466

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wes806 said:

Good looking tractor. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.                                               WES

Thanks for the compliment!

1 hour ago, 1586 Jeff said:

The best solution that I can offer is for you to give me your address so that I can send a container for the 1466.  I will gladly take care of the problem for you!!

Seriously though, it sounds like a classic case of slobbering or wet stacking from not being worked hard enough or idling too much.  Put a load onto the tractor and work it.  What the load is does not really matter.  Keep in mind that the exhaust manifold is cast iron which is porous and could be saturated with unburnt fuel, so it could take a few hours to clean up completely.

Thanks man. If I will get it back I'm okay with that 😂

33 minutes ago, Farmall 1466 said:

Thanks man. If I will get it back I'm okay with that 😂

Get it back?  I would have to be crazy to let go of such a sharp looking tractor!!

2 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Get it back?  I would have to be crazy to let go of such a sharp looking tractor!!

Thanks again! The tractor has well over 200hp, since we turned up the fuel pump slightly, just slightly

What will you load it down with ? 

28 minutes ago, kub3130 said:

Awesome looking tractor. How do you like the pirelli tires?

Thanks you as well! Those Pirelli tires are way more comfortable than for example Firestones. We drive the tractor a lot on the road so a bit of comfort is needed at high speed and these Pirelli tires provide that. I don't know if they are any good in the field, because I don't really have experience with other tyres in combination with fieldwork, but I guess they are okay.