Best work boots. For the price

Have Ben buying what I call traditional red wings I guess model #2413-11   Idk.

Steel toe. Lace up but after 3hard years they gave up early 😕.   

What do you all use. 

Like to stay in 120. /150 range but would be willing to pay for more for quality.

Ps I have been satisfied with red wing.  

But the last pair  my souls started leaking not the leather  and   I don't like wet socks lol

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh no trying to make it into an oil thread .........  

I've always wore Red Wings and oiled them with real IH Hy-tran -makes them nice and soft and I usually get 3-4 years out of them.

I found some Kevlar laces that lasted me about 18 months I don't remember brand, but made for wildland fire fighters, people in harsh chemicals, and welders they stay tied and dont burn...

Posted Images

If you don't have to have steel toe boots this is what I have been using. Eurethane souls last the best and get the most traction with a really shallow tread depth from new (carry less stones and mud in the house) I have three pairs, two to rotate between days for working and my "new" pair I wear to church etc to help break them in . I alternate the grams of thinsulate but I don't really have any issues with either keeping warm. I wear these to hunt also. 

Years ago I got started on eurethane souls with Browning boots but like others they dropped off in the quality department

IMG_20190202_213248254.jpg

I am wearing Red Wings for work now. They are not the most comfortable but are wearing ok. I’ve never gotten more than a year out of a pair of work boots of any brand, style, or price. The most comfortable out of the box have been Keen or Danner. The Keen boot soles started to separate in 3 months. I think I will try Thorogood next if the steel toes fit.  Lots of guys around work use them. USA made

I've had Red Wings for years, happy for the most part . I did have a pair wear out prematurely , leather cracked and split but they did stand behind them and give me a new pair for a good discount. ( After my wife gave the Red wing store 3 pieces of her mind....) The last 2 pairs I have gotten on Ebay and have been fine. Last pair I got this past spring I only paid $110.00 for, brand new.

I killed a pair of expensive Red Wings in 6 months. Never again. Cat boots(under $100) are holding up about 10-11 months for me. Bought a pair of wally world boots once. Got about a month and a half out of them. 

Cat boots here. Last pair of Redwing I had sure felt heavy to wear and was hot to wear during summer working outdoors, imo    After reading I might try find a pair of Thorogoods and try.

Always wore red wing 4418 until they stopped making them.  2218 is a good boot but not insulated.  I now have a pair of Chippewa super loggers model 25405.  They were 265 but are still as waterproof as the day they were new.  I put some stuff on the toes so I don’t wear through them I can’t think of the name right now.  They are over a year old and still in good shape.  I’m on concrete just about all the time so I put insoles in them.  Hoffman makes some pretty nice boots but no insulation in the model I liked.  

I broke down and bought a pair of Hathorn boots they were 310 last I looked. They are im3 years old and worn out. For comparison red Wings are a 11 month boot for me I paid a little extra to get 3x the boot. Next time I'll spend more and get the whites...their higher end brand custom fitted to your feet.

Nothing but Red wings for last  25 years.  style # 2233.  By a new pair every year thats about what they last.  12- 15 hrs a day 7 days a week and 90% of that is on concrete. I need a front end alignment my camber is off I always wear off the the outside rubber faster.  Like and IH 1086!!!   LOL!!!    Matter of fact got a new pair ordered and ready for pickup tomorrow

Mike

I wore Redwings for 20 years then Rocky for 10 years now I’m trying some Carolinas that I like so far. I tried a pair of Chippewa that didn’t impress me. Waterproof soft toe with a good sole for concrete are my requirements. I have noticed most boots are made in China anymore. About a year is all I can make a pair last. 

I've been hitting the clearance rack at boot barn the last few years and buying whatever Ariat boot that's my size they have. I really like these rancher boots. They have a rubber sole so it's still grippy and more forgiving but narrow and slick enough to get in and out of a stirrup easily which can be a problem with some rubber sole boots. Not that you probably need to worry about getting in and out of a stirrup but I still like a slip on style cowboy boot over a laceup.

10006714_3-4_front.jpg

Have had good luck with Danner over the years. I think they have moved production back to the states. I believe they are again made in Portland Oregon. I always buy two pair and rotate. Get much longer life out of them doing that. Last boots I bought were White's and they are made in Spokane Washington. Certainly not in the price range your looking at but very good quality boots. They were heck to break in but once broke in I like them and they will rebuild them when you wear them out. It will be several more years before they need rebuilding the way they look. 

I wear double H and they seem to hold up really well have been wearing this pair for over a year and I work in a machine shop on my feet on concrete all day everyday.  I used to wear redwings but they always seemed heavy.  Justin boots also are really good

4 hours ago, dannyredfan said:

Have Ben buying what I call traditional red wings I guess model #2413-11   Idk.

Steel toe. Lace up but after 3hard years they gave up early 😕.   

What do you all use. 

Like to stay in 120. /150 range but would be willing to pay for more for quality.

Ps I have been satisfied with red wing.  

But the last pair  my souls started leaking not the leather  and   I don't like wet socks lol

...I get that exact   # Red  Wing  boot(s)  via an old bloke in Edmonton...( a retailer  etc )....I find them very good...since all the New Zealand made work boots  are now made in China or India...just garbage...so Red Wing  boots it is!!

If I was to say something negative about them, though....it would be the ''hooks''   on the upper half of the boot,  can get you into trouble on the odd occasion.......like this.....We farmed a modest amount of well bred Red deer at home , some years gone. Getting those animals 'yarded '  is a real challenge..more so as ours were seldom  yarded...so... there is a race about 80 yards long...maybe 8 yards wide, which leads to the deer shed..off set so if the animals are running up the race, round a corner they go and into a darkened shed/pen complex before they have time to back off  lol.......my job that particular day was to "close  out " the start of the race , once the deer had entered the race...Five big stags and two doe's. So, they came into the race...all I had to do was climb over the seven foot six inch fence..and shut  them in......however, in my haste to scramble over the fence, that right foot boot caught the top wire, and I ended up  hanging, helpless  by the one boot.......thrashed around and eventually my modest  180 odd lbs  was enough to pull the hook out of the boot....but unfortunately not before the deer escaped  out into the paddocks ...thus considerable scorn was directed at me.......I gue ss you had to be there.....but upon completion of the task there were a few laughs directed at my plight...sigh

Mike

I wore slip on RedWing for most of my working career. It got to where they were killing my feet. Tried a pair of Wolverine, most comfortable  boot I have every wore. So for the last 5-6 years that's all I have used. 

I've worn red wings and wolverine boots and could never seen to get more than a year out of a pair. The wolverines were more comfortable but the second pair wore out after three months so I said never again, soles split. I started buying $30 pairs of boots at Wal-Mart. I get about three or four months  out of them so I figure I'm still $$$$$ ahead.

This topic came up several years ago.  I had JUSTIN work boots then and still have them. They have held up very well over time.

These are normal lace-up 10" boots with heavy soles and steel toes. Made in MO, USA at the time. Came from the JUSTIN factory store in FT Worth, TX.

I wear Ariat pull-ons. I’m like Mike, my camber & alignment is a little off so I wear the outside of the SOLE (NOT SOUL!) off. I get about a year and a half to two years out of a pair, depends how long I let them go and how much my crooked feet bother my wife 😎