1466 throttle linkage sloppy?

Trying to get some slack out of this shaft at the universal joint/swivel in front of the dash. We got the slack out of everything else except this one. Cant get new parts for it anymore. NLA. Going to try and fill in the holes with a welder and re drill. Pins seem to be ok. They seem to be made out of real hard stuff. Ordered a universal joint from McMaster/Carr and was going to cut old one out and install this one but I dont think it will work at the angle that the shaft assembly is at. Anyone else ever tried to tighten one of these universal/swivel joints up?

DSCF4043.JPG

13 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Tried that trick too. I wondered about a u joint too. Not baby enough to fit? Never looked for a really baby one, may not be the best solution anyway. I know, buy another 1466, problem solved! Then only use the one for emergencies.:D

I dont think the one I got will work at that much of an angle.

If the block is good why couldnt you cut off the u shape braket and make two new ones and weld them to the end of the shafts!  i have heated them up and sprung them open to get them out or the road and heat them up and bend back together no problem putting them back together! 

1 hour ago, Gleaner k2 said:

If the block is good why couldnt you cut off the u shape braket and make two new ones and weld them to the end of the shafts!  i have heated them up and sprung them open to get them out or the road and heat them up and bend back together no problem putting them back together! 

Probably what Im gonna do.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 5:34 PM, cougar766 said:

Dan how about the rods and universal joint off a salt/sand spreader that the state/ county uses

I dont know. Im not familiar with those for sure. I think I'm gonna be able to make this one work, will know for sure when I get back to the shop tommorrow. I ended up welding the holes shut and re drilling them.

3 minutes ago, 1967806 said:

I dont know. Im not familiar with those for sure. I think I'm gonna be able to make this one work, will know for sure when I get back to the shop tommorrow. I ended up welding the holes shut and re drilling them.

Let us know how it works. I have one that needs to be done. I’ve been dealing with a sloppy throttle for years and it really bugs me. 

1 minute ago, Missouri Mule said:

Let us know how it works. I have one that needs to be done. I’ve been dealing with a sloppy throttle for years and it really bugs me. 

We actually had slop in 3 places. This linkage, the lower end of the lower shaft of that linkage had a sloppy bracket, drilled it out and put a brass bushing in it and also the hollow tube/shaft that goes across the front of the steering tower, I took the original pivot bolts out of it and made some new ones that were longer. Hope this will help it maintain RPM's better.

13 minutes ago, 1967806 said:

We actually had slop in 3 places. This linkage, the lower end of the lower shaft of that linkage had a sloppy bracket, drilled it out and put a brass bushing in it and also the hollow tube/shaft that goes across the front of the steering tower, I took the original pivot bolts out of it and made some new ones that were longer. Hope this will help it maintain RPM's better.

Im sure it will. I had a worn roll pin up around the u joint that I replaced and it helped quite a bit on mine but I should do exactly what you did. 

8 hours ago, 1967806 said:

Dan

if you need me too I can get you some pictures

8 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Im sure it will. I had a worn roll pin up around the u joint that I replaced and it helped quite a bit on mine but I should do exactly what you did. 

Mine had soilid pins in it. They are very hard too.

36 minutes ago, cougar766 said:

Dan

if you need me too I can get you some pictures

Thanks for the offer. I will see how this works out first. You wont get them to stop long enough to take pictures of them this winter. :D At least here anyway.

2 hours ago, 1967806 said:

Thanks for the offer. I will see how this works out first. You wont get them to stop long enough to take pictures of them this winter. :D At least here anyway.

I work on them for the county I live in... haha

12 hours ago, cougar766 said:

I work on them for the county I live in... haha

Cool. Hows the weather been over there? We getting freezing drizzle off and on here till thursday.

3 hours ago, 1967806 said:

Cool. Hows the weather been over there? We getting freezing drizzle off and on here till thursday.

temps are all over the scale,, rain all day today and tomorrow with 50-60 for highs and a cold 21 for Friday then back into the 30's

9 hours ago, cougar766 said:

temps are all over the scale,, rain all day today and tomorrow with 50-60 for highs and a cold 21 for Friday then back into the 30's

Supposed to get real cold here in a day or two. Hope it dont snow so it will freeze up. We got a guy wanting us to shell another 100 acres of corn.