Lake Erie Can sue you ,its claimed

Wow , I got this FB Buckeyes farm news . I’m in the Lake Erie water shed . Can you read this 

I tried to get all , 

931A88C6-96FA-4A9F-9852-5B0DD74A248D.jpeg

6EABED40-DC39-4396-B657-AB359DAF9D66.jpeg

• Sad 2

Its sad! I dont know where we are heading! I didnt read it all but the lawsuits are just ridiculous anymore! I dont if any other towns are doing it yet but clarion pa wants to tax you for storm water! Any water that runs off youth property and into the storm drain system thier gonna figure out the amount of tax by the square footage of property you have! 

• Sad 2

Welcome to life in the east.  These regulations and the goofs that live in all the developments around here are making farming and frankly life a real pain. The worst part is I’m 20.  I got a long time to watch it get worse yet........

Welcome to the club of getting sued by people who have no clue what farming is about. I reside in one of three counties in Iowa that was being sued by a private water works in a large city 120 miles away. They were suing our drainage districts for leaching of nitrates into there drinking water. Thank goodness it was finally kicked out.

And I thought we had the most Fruits and Nuts. Sorry to see there are enough to be spread around so we all have many more than we know what to do with.😜Well I think we all know where they need to go, 😉just have not pushed us over the edge 😉yet😉.

Seriously, send the lake a BIG BILL for "lake effect snow removal"------I would make it retroactive for about 100 years, just to make the point.

KRAZY can work both ways.......

Mike

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
17 hours ago, Gleaner k2 said:

Its sad! I dont know where we are heading! I didnt read it all but the lawsuits are just ridiculous anymore! I dont if any other towns are doing it yet but clarion pa wants to tax you for storm water! Any water that runs off youth property and into the storm drain system thier gonna figure out the amount of tax by the square footage of property you have! 

We have the storm water tax in Wi, at leased in our local city pop of 5000. When Milwaukee's sewage plant gets over loaded they just dump it into Lake Michigan.😵

23 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

It’s fast becoming a reality that farmers are a target for any thing

No, read that thing again. If passed it would grant anyone living in Toledo the right to file suit against ANYONE /THING (including farmers) that they perceive is polluting or harming the lake. By that a guy taking a leak in the woods could be sued because that could leach into the lake. Basically it will allow the fruit loops to go after everyone including businesses that may have some type of emissions or waste.

Rick 

8 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

No, read that thing again. If passed it would grant anyone living in Toledo the right to file suit against ANYONE /THING (including farmers) that they perceive is polluting or harming the lake. By that a guy taking a leak in the woods could be sued because that could leach into the lake. Basically it will allow the fruit loops to go after everyone including businesses that may have some type of emissions or waste.

Rick 

That’s political speak to muddy the waters of showing who the real target is- farmers. Plain and simple.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jordi 1455 said:

Over here in Europe is it very normall to blame farmers for any thing.

Thank for your comments . 

No, everyone is a target. These environmental nut cases even have suggested that "sacrificing human life to protect the environment may eventually be necessary". All of us, farmers and non farmers are targets unless we are going to toe their line. They have already stated that.

Rick

16 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

These environmental nut cases even have suggested that "sacrificing human life to protect the environment may eventually be necessary"

Rick

Okay they can go first

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
2 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

They already are sacrificing their young in order to show how compassionate they are.🤯 

:(

Just now, bitty said:

:(

Horrible, morbid, evil. What more is there to say. Sad. 

If we did to calves what they’re doing we would all be hauled in for animal cruelty and production livestock would cease to exist, but they do the unthinkable and the sheople turn a blind eye towards it. Disgusting.

• Sad 1
12 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Horrible, morbid, evil. What more is there to say. Sad. 

If we did to calves what they’re doing we would all be hauled in for animal cruelty and production livestock would cease to exist, but they do the unthinkable and the sheople turn a blind eye towards it. Disgusting.

I agree. I would be in jail if I would witness the wicked thing that they are doing. After visiting my niece in the NICU who is now in heaven it makes no sense to me at all what is considered ok by some

• Like 1

I'm about 50 miles west of Toledo and all of our farmland drains into the Maumee River which runs directly through Toledo and into Lake Erie. I suspected things were going to get crazy after the big algae bloom on the lake that shut down Toledo's water plant three years ago. Right now it seems like every governmental agency and university is jumping on the band wagon. It appears as though they are all still in a fact finding mode and are formulating a plan of action. I suspect that we will see a substantial impact on the way we farm in the Maumee Watershed within the next few years. 

Personally, I made the switch from conventional to no-till because of this. I have installed a control stand in one of my tile outlets and planted a filter strip along one ditch bank. I began using cover crops and have added legumes in my crop rotation. These were voluntary changes that have been recommended by NRCS and some have been cost shared through our county FSA office. 

I realize that my small operation is not really going to make much difference in how much phosphate enters the Western Basin of Lake Erie however we are in an urbanized area and the locals do notice a lot more about how we farm than one might first realize. Personally I think there will be some regulations placed upon us and I'm just trying to be ready for that. Been to a few meetings put on by OSU and NRCS. I don't necessarily agree with or understand everything they say but have found it interesting and enlightening. 

• Like 1
On 1/31/2019 at 6:50 PM, ihmadness656 said:

Welcome to the club of getting sued by people who have no clue what farming is about. I reside in one of three counties in Iowa that was being sued by a private water works in a large city 120 miles away. They were suing our drainage districts for leaching of nitrates into there drinking water. Thank goodness it was finally kicked out.

And do you know what they do with the nitrates after they filter them out of the water??

Yup. They dump it back in the river. Go figure....

9 hours ago, 2+2 Guy said:

I'm about 50 miles west of Toledo and all of our farmland drains into the Maumee River which runs directly through Toledo and into Lake Erie. I suspected things were going to get crazy after the big algae bloom on the lake that shut down Toledo's water plant three years ago. Right now it seems like every governmental agency and university is jumping on the band wagon. It appears as though they are all still in a fact finding mode and are formulating a plan of action. I suspect that we will see a substantial impact on the way we farm in the Maumee Watershed within the next few years. 

Personally, I made the switch from conventional to no-till because of this. I have installed a control stand in one of my tile outlets and planted a filter strip along one ditch bank. I began using cover crops and have added legumes in my crop rotation. These were voluntary changes that have been recommended by NRCS and some have been cost shared through our county FSA office. 

I realize that my small operation is not really going to make much difference in how much phosphate enters the Western Basin of Lake Erie however we are in an urbanized area and the locals do notice a lot more about how we farm than one might first realize. Personally I think there will be some regulations placed upon us and I'm just trying to be ready for that. Been to a few meetings put on by OSU and NRCS. I don't necessarily agree with or understand everything they say but have found it interesting and enlightening. 

Lake Carmi, in VT is blue or green from all the Algae. The environmentalists were having a fit because  they just knew it was runoff from farmers spreading poop. The VT department of agriculture took extensive soil samples, examined all the evidence, checking and rechecking the farmers best management practices, and finally came to the conclusion that it wasn’t the farmers. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, new guy said:

And do you know what they do with the nitrates after they filter them out of the water??

Yup. They dump it back in the river. Go figure....

Not saying you're wrong, not saying you're right.

This is the interweb after all.  Credible sources/links requested to validate your claim.

• Confused 1