4366 transmission replacement

I am replacing the transmission in my 4366. I have the cab off and am preparing to slide the transmission out of the  bellhousing. It looks  straightforward. Are there any tricks I should know? Thx-Ace

6 minutes ago, acem said:

I am replacing the transmission in my 4366. I have the cab off and am preparing to slide the transmission out of the  bellhousing. It looks  straightforward. Are there any tricks I should know? Thx-Ace

If it is like a 4586. You have to raise motor mounts. The bell housing sits down in a hole. It’s been a long time since I fixed one though. Be careful going back together every thing needs to be nice and straight.

I just pulled a trans out of a 4586.  I didn't lift the motor.  I didn't have a service manual yet, so I had no idea it needed to come up.  That said, it came out fine even though I didn't lift it up. I'm thinking the manual said the 4366 with the 466 you didn't need to raise it.

Anything you need to know....

1.) Be careful with the clutch.  They don't make the cover plate anymore.  

2.) Plan to go through the clutch anyway.  Too much work to get to it.

3.) The trans is heavy if you aren't familiar with 10 speed truck transmissions. 

Just curious, why are you replacing it?

3 hours ago, edwardporter1 said:

question? could you put an 18 spd trans in one?

Yes.  Just has to be a mechanical shift on the ranges.  They make the parts to do that. 

16 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Nothing saying you couldn't add an air pump and tank... Added complexity yes, but the cool factor would be way up there.

And train horns.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My old boss added air to a stieger cougar one with the automatic transmission! He mounted a spreaded box to semi trailer axles and need air for brakes and ran the beater off a hydraulic motor! 

We put a three stage Jake to our 9170 w 400 Cummins. Air system would be fairly easy to add to the articulated tractors. Put a treadle valve on the floor and use it for trailer brakes

My old potato guy would sort and load semi trailers right off the digger. He had 4 people separating culls on digger and used JD 7020 and 7520 plus at the end 2 Steiger to pull trailers. It was truck drivers job to release brakes and back them off and adjust them back when hooking and unhooking. Air on each tractor would have been great. They have engine driven systems on combines now for cleaning.

22 minutes ago, dale560 said:

My old potato guy would sort and load semi trailers right off the digger. He had 4 people separating culls on digger and used JD 7020 and 7520 plus at the end 2 Steiger to pull trailers. It was truck drivers job to release brakes and back them off and adjust them back when hooking and unhooking. Air on each tractor would have been great. They have engine driven systems on combines now for cleaning.

Why not a hydraulic motor on a air compressor on the dolly?  Have built a few for tomato trailers. Doesn't take much to make one, I couldn't imagine having to deal with that on every load.  Years ago they took the maxi's off the trailers so you didn't have parking brakes, that worked well until they dropped a few with guys not understanding how to get under one, so now those trailers stay on the cannery farms, which is good, because they are just barely road worthy.

8 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Why not a hydraulic motor on a air compressor on the dolly?  Have built a few for tomato trailers. Doesn't take much to make one, I couldn't imagine having to deal with that on every load.  Years ago they took the maxi's off the trailers so you didn't have parking brakes, that worked well until they dropped a few with guys not understanding how to get under one, so now those trailers stay on the cannery farms, which is good, because they are just barely road worthy.

My potato guy went broke and moved to Idaho. He passed away out there so I don’t mess with them any more. The truck drivers would get mad having to adjust brakes. He had lots of acres and lots of potatoes. Your idea would have been great. His jds has pto so even a drive shaft to compressor on dolly would have worked. He had a 1000 acres one year . plus 300 in Idaho.he  Started out broke in 88 made a bunch of money on contract over run. and lost it all over 12 more years.

I would be careful what tranny you drop in there.  Look at the Fuller PN on it and do a little research to make sure you have the same gear ratios and HP rating on whatever you put in.   You may need a different input shaft, too.  Shortly after I bought my 4386, I an across a 10 speed Fuller out of a IH Floater truck, in good condition.  I bought it as a spare, not realizing there a many versions of those transmissions with small differences, even if the basic shape and clutch housing is the same.   Still have no idea if it would have worked, never needed it, sold the tractor, and the tranny is still laying out back.  Scrap steel now, I guess.

I plan to replace it with a Transmission  from a 4386 so it should be the same. I don't know how to put air on my dt466 and still have airconditioning,  of course the ac dosent work...

I do plan to update the lube system to the 4386 style . The 4366 transmission lube is separated from the hydraulic system. The 4386 transmission  and hydraulic share fluid.

Thx-Ace

16 hours ago, acem said:

I plan to replace it with a Transmission  from a 4386 so it should be the same. I don't know how to put air on my dt466 and still have airconditioning,  of course the ac dosent work...

I do plan to update the lube system to the 4386 style . The 4366 transmission lube is separated from the hydraulic system. The 4386 transmission  and hydraulic share fluid.

Thx-Ace

That should be drop it in and run the extra pressurized oil and drain lines.