So I'm degreasing larger and larger parts for my Fordson Major project, how do people degrease large parts? My technique is a squirt bottle filled with degreaser diluted with water, scrubbing, spraying, scrubbing more, spraying, ragging then rinsing. However as the parts get larger how on earth do you do this in a way that catches all the residue so you can dispose of it somewhere environmentally responsibly? So far I've been using a big plastic tub with parts either held or suspended on a saw horse over it, which I then go and tip out the dregs on a firebreak somewhere on the property where nothing that grows is wanted. But now I have to work out what to do with the draw bar attachment which is a yard in length! Perhaps I need to get creative and suspend it and do one fork at at time so it can all drip down into the catcher...

And I don't even want to think about how I'll do the engine and underside of the tractor, probably just take it to where I don't mind the runoff and do it there...

I realise many old timers are fine with just washing all directly into their drainage, but my shed shares the home block with the house, dogs, kids and gardens so I'm keen to keep the place fairly runoff free....

Here's a photo update if anyone is interested 

20190124_094642.jpg

Cleaning, degreasing, build up, stripping, paint, rust, big parts on the out side, that's a good subject here.

Start out side on the drive way, put some oil mats down, power wash, car wash, contractor wash, heated power wash cut fast. Maybe two three times and have a scrub pail full of cleaning tools for the tough spots.

The more you do the better you get, ********************************* Armand

9 hours ago, RustyNumbat said:

So I'm degreasing larger and larger parts for my Fordson Major project, how do people degrease large parts? My technique is a squirt bottle filled with degreaser diluted with water, scrubbing, spraying, scrubbing more, spraying, ragging then rinsing. However as the parts get larger how on earth do you do this in a way that catches all the residue so you can dispose of it somewhere environmentally responsibly? So far I've been using a big plastic tub with parts either held or suspended on a saw horse over it, which I then go and tip out the dregs on a firebreak somewhere on the property where nothing that grows is wanted. But now I have to work out what to do with the draw bar attachment which is a yard in length! Perhaps I need to get creative and suspend it and do one fork at at time so it can all drip down into the catcher...

And I don't even want to think about how I'll do the engine and underside of the tractor, probably just take it to where I don't mind the runoff and do it there...

I realise many old timers are fine with just washing all directly into their drainage, but my shed shares the home block with the house, dogs, kids and gardens so I'm keen to keep the place fairly runoff free....

Here's a photo update if anyone is interested 

20190124_094642.jpg

Good question, could lay a tarp down cover it with newspaper to absorption the grease dry it and burn it for fire 🔥 starting in chilly days .not sure the burning is environmentally correct 

we use to steam clean our machines . 

Also we used a dry ice blaster , that was the best cause it just left the grease in a solid you could sweep it up easy . No fuss no mess 

I think I'm getting a bit clever, I'll tie up a tarp to the front axel and have it under the machine lower towards the rear, creating a catchment sheet. Everything should run down the chassis and off the sump onto the sheet then to the back where I can collect it with a plastic tub.

Steam cleaner sounds really good, does it get everything off or do you still degrease?

• Like 1

A good quality garden hose that can withstand heat attached to the lower hose bib of your water heater work OK too.  Use insulated rubber gloves.  Not as good as my hot water pressure washer, but you already have one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...