Jump to content

The Dog Thread


KWRB

Recommended Posts

We had a mini-foxie as my offsider for about 12 years but bone cancer finally got her.

Wife and a friend decided I needed another dog to keep me company and the friend just happened to know of a litter.  So arrived my "Office Manager".

About 5 kg of yap and teeth, of firmly "bitsa" pedigree - probably mainly mini-sausage dog but the ears came from somewhere else.  Very undershot jaw but that just adds to her spitfire profile.  "Office Manager" because she can hear the phone dial tones and demands a supervisors lap presence.

A watch dog with a suprisingly loud bark (she'll make a gas cylinder ring) but mainly warns from the safety of the verandah - I'm supposed to do any heroics.

One night recently about dark she cut up big at something in the garden which I couldn't identify and then settled down.

Till about 8 pm and the yap was in the house - about 4 feet of young brown snake.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, yellowrosefarm said:

What a dream job for a dog. Being encouraged to smell poop for a living😀

Be ALMOST as good as opening the mail at COLOGARD!!!:wacko:

Mike 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Its a dogs life.

07F91DA0-8A5E-4107-A903-01F98F58A65C.thumb.jpeg.035349966f8e3c3663efe969742772dd.jpeg

Dogs are truly amazing! Can you imagine what you would feel like after sleeping with your spine in that position?! I would probably not be able to move for a month!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TomH said:

Ever wake up feeling like someone is breathing in your face and that they should probably brush their teeth?

 

58CA18E4-6BDA-41F8-995A-6F78E9AD6389.thumb.jpeg.bd65b24c225284f3783c0d1d6cbf695c.jpeg

One's debaucherous twenties perhaps? Not mine, though.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

New member of family just picked him up today was born new yrs eve - he was born in iowa 😁

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

Awwwwwwwww

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We said goodbye to Bailey September 23, 2022, at 2:34 am, I so far have not had a fully dry eyed day since. Had to do some excavating and filling, but she is here in a nice spot so we can go and sit with her. She gave us nearly 13 wonderful years, and i am eternally grateful that our lives were blessed with her. She had a good life until her very last day. Part of me went with her. 

9D694416-5D58-44A5-9AAF-7E5588C21F35.jpeg

D8C90054-8951-4A0B-86E3-991F2567618B.jpeg

A029B0FF-B47D-44D2-BA83-75A135674BA6.jpeg

CC14BB59-7E4C-4401-99C9-4ACA1D9A3CC0.jpeg

8B3441B6-11E9-43DF-AA33-086DC8B5507F.jpeg

EE95B65D-5EF7-4051-B5E0-14D69D12C317.jpeg

FBAD239C-AA04-4064-BAC1-F1A27E7CECFE.jpeg

D54ACDE6-DC85-45E4-8751-9C69D3051F66.jpeg

9428294C-BAB2-4F2D-B63D-7ED2D63D4D8C.jpeg

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

We said goodbye to Bailey September 23 at 2:34 am, I so far have not had a fully dry eyed day since. Had to do some excavating and filling, but she is here in a nice spot so we can go and sit with her. She gave us nearly 13 wonderful years, and i am eternally grateful that our lives were blessed with her. She had a good life until her very last day. Part of me went with her. 

9D694416-5D58-44A5-9AAF-7E5588C21F35.jpeg

D8C90054-8951-4A0B-86E3-991F2567618B.jpeg

A029B0FF-B47D-44D2-BA83-75A135674BA6.jpeg

CC14BB59-7E4C-4401-99C9-4ACA1D9A3CC0.jpeg

8B3441B6-11E9-43DF-AA33-086DC8B5507F.jpeg

EE95B65D-5EF7-4051-B5E0-14D69D12C317.jpeg

FBAD239C-AA04-4064-BAC1-F1A27E7CECFE.jpeg

D54ACDE6-DC85-45E4-8751-9C69D3051F66.jpeg

9428294C-BAB2-4F2D-B63D-7ED2D63D4D8C.jpeg

awwww darn it, my old lab rusty is 13 and not sure how long he will last so wanted to get a new pup started with a mentor to help learn/train, hard to be good old labs ive had several over the years, glad bailey gave you such wonderful memories!!!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/10/2023 at 1:02 AM, mike newman said:

...Kiwi girl out in the mountains...on a day trip with her dog...""Bodhi''

Mike

1678327943276dog bodhi.jpg

Stunning picture… 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

We said goodbye to Bailey September 23, 2022, at 2:34 am, I so far have not had a fully dry eyed day since. Had to do some excavating and filling, but she is here in a nice spot so we can go and sit with her. She gave us nearly 13 wonderful years, and i am eternally grateful that our lives were blessed with her. She had a good life until her very last day. Part of me went with her. 

9D694416-5D58-44A5-9AAF-7E5588C21F35.jpeg

D8C90054-8951-4A0B-86E3-991F2567618B.jpeg

A029B0FF-B47D-44D2-BA83-75A135674BA6.jpeg

CC14BB59-7E4C-4401-99C9-4ACA1D9A3CC0.jpeg

8B3441B6-11E9-43DF-AA33-086DC8B5507F.jpeg

EE95B65D-5EF7-4051-B5E0-14D69D12C317.jpeg

FBAD239C-AA04-4064-BAC1-F1A27E7CECFE.jpeg

D54ACDE6-DC85-45E4-8751-9C69D3051F66.jpeg

9428294C-BAB2-4F2D-B63D-7ED2D63D4D8C.jpeg

My sincerest condolences Seth.

Those are some great pictures and memories.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

We said goodbye to Bailey September 23, 2022, at 2:34 am, I so far have not had a fully dry eyed day since. Had to do some excavating and filling, but she is here in a nice spot so we can go and sit with her. She gave us nearly 13 wonderful years, and i am eternally grateful that our lives were blessed with her. She had a good life until her very last day. Part of me went with her. 

9D694416-5D58-44A5-9AAF-7E5588C21F35.jpeg

D8C90054-8951-4A0B-86E3-991F2567618B.jpeg

A029B0FF-B47D-44D2-BA83-75A135674BA6.jpeg

CC14BB59-7E4C-4401-99C9-4ACA1D9A3CC0.jpeg

8B3441B6-11E9-43DF-AA33-086DC8B5507F.jpeg

EE95B65D-5EF7-4051-B5E0-14D69D12C317.jpeg

FBAD239C-AA04-4064-BAC1-F1A27E7CECFE.jpeg

D54ACDE6-DC85-45E4-8751-9C69D3051F66.jpeg

9428294C-BAB2-4F2D-B63D-7ED2D63D4D8C.jpeg

My greatest condolences…. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

New member of family just picked him up today was born new yrs eve - he was born in iowa 😁

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

Precious… very precious.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

...something for Jeff    @sandhiller..

You mentioned  kiwi    (NZ )   sheep dogs working...a while back, Jeff'   I missed many good photo opportunities on these stations  (Rainbow and Raglan  )..to get good pictures  of a ''team '' of dogs working for the Shepherd (s)...it is a matter being in the right place at the right time...!!

Gene, the Rainbow Station  manager would work four dogs at once.....he would have 2000   mature sheep  moving quietly along .....with the dogs strategically  placed ...and the whole shebang would look like  a bit longer and a bit narrower  than the picture below....from a distance the sheep would ''flow''  ...quite a sight to see

In the picture below..there are three dogs that I can see...(just ) ......The shepards often use three or four dogs...with another three watching from the truck or just walking behind...untill the shepherd  gives the lead dogs a ''spell '' .

Dog trials  are very popular down under......usually held on a slope..,,the deal is one dog ... up to six sheep.... a very small pen.....and the bloke has a stick....and his ability to work his dog with minimum  fuss ...whistle mainly   and as the sheep approach the ''pen''..the stick is waved around ..like you do with cattle.........

It is a time trial....twenty odd acres  ..slopeing    up....pen in the middle...and sheep in the far corner.....great to watch..

Pen only about 12 feet square...gate open...and good luck  !!

Mike

photo 2.png

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mike newman said:

...something for Jeff    @sandhiller..

You mentioned  kiwi    (NZ )   sheep dogs working...a while back, Jeff'   I missed many good photo opportunities on these stations  (Rainbow and Raglan  )..to get good pictures  of a ''team '' of dogs working for the Shepherd (s)...it is a matter being in the right place at the right time...!!

Gene, the Rainbow Station  manager would work four dogs at once.....he would have 2000   mature sheep  moving quietly along .....with the dogs strategically  placed ...and the whole shebang would look like  a bit longer and a bit narrower  than the picture below....from a distance the sheep would ''flow''  ...quite a sight to see

In the picture below..there are three dogs that I can see...(just ) ......The shepards often use three or four dogs...with another three watching from the truck or just walking behind...untill the shepherd  gives the lead dogs a ''spell '' .

Dog trials  are very popular down under......usually held on a slope..,,the deal is one dog ... up to six sheep.... a very small pen.....and the bloke has a stick....and his ability to work his dog with minimum  fuss ...whistle mainly   and as the sheep approach the ''pen''..the stick is waved around ..like you do with cattle.........

It is a time trial....twenty odd acres  ..slopeing    up....pen in the middle...and sheep in the far corner.....great to watch..

Pen only about 12 feet square...gate open...and good luck  !!

Mike

photo 2.png

breathtaking photo - postcard material for sure, thanks for sharing - not to side track the thread but are they mainly used for wool or eating ? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been leaving Winston at home while we go to town for stuff but he’s starting to get pretty lonely and not liking being locked up in the kennel when we’re gone. He’s broken out of jail a couple times and starting to get the cage stretched apart pretty badly. Took him with yesterday when we went to Melfort for fuel and parts. Sat quite proudly in the back seat with me and eventually layed his head down on my lap or on my arm depending on what I was doing.  Didn’t bother anything in the truck when we were in shopping. Even left the donuts on the dash lol.  Afraid to leave him loose in the house on his own for to long though. He likes to find things to play with. Sometimes it’s things he shouldn’t be.  As I type this the cat is chasing him around the house lol. 

3FE089FC-7F96-4593-8DC8-5097E0999EC9.jpeg

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...