The Dog Thread

KWRB

1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

She’s on her way back home with us now again. Feeling pretty sorry for herself at the moment with that cone on her head but she seems to be doing fine otherwise. Dr said he wants the cone on for 2 weeks. I think Bailey has other plans for it though lol. Going to watch her closely for a while to make sure she doesn’t tear it off and go after her tail(or stub of a tail). It’s about 6 inches long now. Just enough so she can wag it a little bit yet. She was trying a little when we came in to get uer. Surgery was 9:30 this morning so I imagine she’s still a little groggy from that yet. Every time we slow down or stop she jumps up to see if she’s back home yet lol. 

99EC77E0-39E0-4543-8579-0DC3EF3917BB.jpeg

Good to hear it went okay and she is doing well. I had to use gorilla tape on my border collies cone to keep it on.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

She’s on her way back home with us now again. Feeling pretty sorry for herself at the moment with that cone on her head but she seems to be doing fine otherwise. Dr said he wants the cone on for 2 weeks. I think Bailey has other plans for it though lol. Going to watch her closely for a while to make sure she doesn’t tear it off and go after her tail(or stub of a tail). It’s about 6 inches long now. Just enough so she can wag it a little bit yet. She was trying a little when we came in to get uer. Surgery was 9:30 this morning so I imagine she’s still a little groggy from that yet. Every time we slow down or stop she jumps up to see if she’s back home yet lol. 

99EC77E0-39E0-4543-8579-0DC3EF3917BB.jpeg

Good news, just got through 2 weeks cone duty for joey, took two days and he was fine with it, our vet said if joey was able to slip his head in and out when cone was untied and we were in contact with him we could give him a break with it and keep an eye that he didn't lick the incision area, slam dunk and he's fine now, good luck.

• Like 3

She went straight for her water and food when she got in the house. She was very thirsty. I don’t imagine they had given her much if any for water or food before the operation and she was resting when we came to pick her up yet. Vet said she whimpered quite a bit when we were gone and she’d bark till someone came to see her. As long as someone was there she was quiet. She did go to sleep after a while though. 

Shes not moving around to much tonight and she’s not very comfortable with the cone but we’ll leave it on for a few days anyways and see how it goes. I think her collar is loose enough we can slip it off for a little bit and give her a break for a bit. She gets frustrated I think as she keeps running into stuff lol. 

I helped her up onto the couch so she’s resting comfortably now anyways. 

2F594E26-C3C8-42EE-BFC0-924AE2CA37BE.jpeg

F81987D7-E2C6-4040-B2B3-A7A7DA3971A9.jpeg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

She went straight for her water and food when she got in the house. She was very thirsty. I don’t imagine they had given her much if any for water or food before the operation and she was resting when we came to pick her up yet. Vet said she whimpered quite a bit when we were gone and she’d bark till someone came to see her. As long as someone was there she was quiet. She did go to sleep after a while though. 

Shes not moving around to much tonight and she’s not very comfortable with the cone but we’ll leave it on for a few days anyways and see how it goes. I think her collar is loose enough we can slip it off for a little bit and give her a break for a bit. She gets frustrated I think as she keeps running into stuff lol. 

Perfect, joey took a few days to get used to life with it on, he's a sniffer to the extreme and he would bang the cone whenever he leaned in to sniff, but two days and he was used to it, lots of love is the answer, again, good luck.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Very glad to hear the surgery was a success.

Being back home with you is the best medicine for a speedy recovery ?

• Like 5

Last couple times I took my dogs in I brought cones home I didnt need to use them. Maybe your pup wont either. My boy had encrypted testicle and it was a pretty intensive surgery.  Luckily he left it alone. The vet did use some stitching method in which the stitches were internal so he couldn't get at them. Hope your pup has a quick recovery. Looks to be in great hands. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, redneckhippie said:

Last couple times I took my dogs in I brought cones home I didnt need to use them. Maybe your pup wont either. My boy had encrypted testicle and it was a pretty intensive surgery.  Luckily he left it alone. The vet did use some stitching method in which the stitches were internal so he couldn't get at them. Hope your pup has a quick recovery. Looks to be in great hands. 

Same here, neutered, inside stitches, glad its done now.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

First, GREAT news that surgery went well and she's home!

Second, I've had dogs have surgery a few times and I've had luck with a tiny dab of peppermint oil near the incision and not needing the collar. They don't like the smell/taste of it and will leave the incision alone. It's a good thing it works because one of my dogs turns into a psychotic raging terror with that cone on. Just another option if you want it. When I asked my vet about it, he just said not to put it directly on the incision, and to be careful not to use too much or it'll hurt the skin. Just a drop on the fingers, work it around between fingers, and dab it on her skin.

• Like 4

She did pretty good today. Most of the morning she was out hunting and walking around the yard. Thought she had a squirrel up a tree for a bit but she may have just been looking for help too. She was back in the bush and somewhat hung up in the underbrush lol. I went back and helped her to a little bit of a open spot. Once she got somewhat of a clear track she looked more like a bulldozer coming through the bush lol. Took her cone off tonight for a bit and she hasn’t bothered her tail at all. Just laying on the floor sleeping now.  Her dressing actually came off last night and everything looked fine. Mom wrapped it back up again just to be safe though. 

• Like 7

I vowed I would never get involved in the ratIMG_20200815_091058.thumb.jpg.7763d35ce01ec43b9469938279b6ac26.jpg race of harvest but this fall I am running a grain cart tractor, my dog has learned to keep an eye on the action and see who he thinks is either intruding or needs attention. We get a lot of lap time. 

• Like 6

For all the joys and happiness our dogs can bring us when it comes down to being time to put one down can be one of the most gut wrenching things to do. We had to make that dreaded decision for our almost 12 year old Great Pyrenees recently. He was such a noble dog. He watched out over all of our kids as they played and grew up. Our youngest daughter is only ten so he has been with us longer than her. 
My condolences to all of you out there that have recently lost a dog or are near the end of the journey with a lifetime dog. 06D20760-5C1D-47A5-8D03-BF2FE8B46BC6.thumb.jpeg.b89dce2d480d17a68b2ab5a9bd159a01.jpeg

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Cool1566 said:

For all the joys and happiness our dogs can bring us when it comes down to being time to put one down can be one of the most gut wrenching things to do. We had to make that dreaded decision for our almost 12 year old Great Pyrenees recently. He was such a noble dog. He watched out over all of our kids as they played and grew up. Our youngest daughter is only ten so he has been with us longer than her. 
My condolences to all of you out there that have recently lost a dog or are near the end of the journey with a lifetime dog. 06D20760-5C1D-47A5-8D03-BF2FE8B46BC6.thumb.jpeg.b89dce2d480d17a68b2ab5a9bd159a01.jpeg

Very sad for you're loss.

He looks like a great guy. They teach us so much and give so unselfishly.

I have been in you're situation too often and will be facing it again.

I just can't imagine life without man's best friend.

My condolences to you sir.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Cool1566 said:

Sorry.

• Thanks 1