The Dog Thread

KWRB

5 minutes ago, smfarms said:

Ever have them lock you out of your truck?? With the keys still inside 

I never leave my keys inside , when I leave a  vehicle the keys go with me . 

Its a habit I learned in high school.

But a dog could easily lock you out that’s for sure

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smfarms said:

Ever have them lock you out of your truck?? With the keys still inside 

I keep door keys in my pocket to the three pickups I might be driving that day.

They have locked the door on my when I got out to get a gate, in the winter with windows up.

Summer, windows are down so don't worry about it as much.

Although Gus has run the windows up and down before. He looks over at me "hey did you see what i just did"?

561737362_Gusarmrest.jpg.b61822bf9ac33575224e881d1308b228.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, sandhiller said:

I keep door keys in my pocket to the three pickups I might be driving that day.

They have locked the door on my when I got out to get a gate, in the winter with windows up.

Summer, windows are down so don't worry about it as much.

Although Gus has run the windows up and down before. He looks over at me "hey did you see what i just did"?

561737362_Gusarmrest.jpg.b61822bf9ac33575224e881d1308b228.jpg

When my dog was a puppy she put the power window up with her head out it on a ford superduty.  Could get there fast enough to let it down.  Scared me as much as it did her.  She never did that again thankfully.  

• Like 1

My border collie loves belly rubs but she wont shoe her tummy. She wont submit even for a tummy rub. If everything is right in the world she will lie on her side. My heeler on the other hand lies on his back all the time. Sometimes he sits in the recliner beside me all stretched out. 

• Like 2

On 5/6/2020 at 9:37 AM, lorenzo said:

I never leave my keys inside , when I leave a  vehicle the keys go with me . 

Its a habit I learned in high school.

But a dog could easily lock you out that’s for sure

That happened to me! Got out of the truck and the dogs jumped up and down barking at friend  and hit the lock button. Truck was running too! 

Got the person they were barking to walk closer to the truck, finally after several minutes one stepped on the passenger side window switch and opened the window enough for me to unlock the door. I NEVER leave the keys in and or the truck running when I have my dogs on board! Lesson learned.

• Like 1

…….four of the Station Manager's  hounds...…..two "huntaways'' nearest the camera...….taken this morning...whilst on a little ''tour''....about 30 miles from the ''tar top ''.....waaaay up the Rainbow Valley......

Mike

IMG_1162.JPG

• Like 4

…...picture of the "hounds "   taken at the back of the truck...this picture taken looking up the valley...…..Gene, farm boss, was missing  120 odd cows and calves......we ..(I was usefull  for opening gates …)...saw about  30 odd head...but it is a vast area.....more pictures to come......

Mike

IMG_1161.JPG

• Like 2

Had my fishing buddy with me today. 

Watched every cast and sure made the fish fight harder when they got close to the bank (and him)?

2016121855_Cashfishing.thumb.jpg.43123b1a66b85c5697cb9ee70d739a83.jpg

And he had to approve of every fish that came in.

1852393970_Cashfish.thumb.jpg.ff79623c97232cdde4d4a1468d9cc5f0.jpg

• Like 2

Emma’s mom and one of her brothers came to visit  Friday. They played hard and ran around all day . Saturday she just layed on the couch with one of her favorite toys . 

I think she was exhausted. 

615A4616-6CB5-4CDB-92F8-2401F9B29DD8.thumb.jpeg.eec6c2523258b09ce77f74d06c6e913a.jpeg

• Like 3

Rescued a 3 year old Aussie that loves the wife. If I am in the house he will come to me and let me pet him. Outside has little to do with me unless on a leash. and then just for a walk. If I am in the house he won't come in the house unless I go to another room. Think he might of been abused by a man at sometime or another. Any suggestions to get him to warm up to me outside.

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, jingles1928 said:

Rescued a 3 year old Aussie that loves the wife. If I am in the house he will come to me and let me pet him. Outside has little to do with me unless on a leash. and then just for a walk. If I am in the house he won't come in the house unless I go to another room. Think he might of been abused by a man at sometime or another. Any suggestions to get him to warm up to me outside.

Bond through play or cuddle with him inside, and build trust over time. Bribery with treats helps. Eventually he'll view you as the source of food and affection, and he'll be fond of you. Make him see that your the one who puts food in his dish. If he trusts your wife much more, then bond with him, with your wife together. He'll come around.

I think often people think dogs were abused by men -and maybe they were- but sometimes I think they're playing it safe around the alpha, because they feel generally vulnerable. Not a huge difference, but a difference. Not all skeptical dogs are abused.

When you say Aussie, do you mean Australian Cattle Dog, or Australian Shepard? My wife had an Australian Cattle Dog when I met her and she is a VERY skeptical dog. But they're very smart and they figure out who's good and who's bad.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jingles1928 said:

2 hours ago, KWRB said:

Bond through play or cuddle with him inside, and build trust over time. Bribery with treats helps. Eventually he'll view you as the source of food and affection, and he'll be fond of you. Make him see that your the one who puts food in his dish. If he trusts your wife much more, then bond with him, with your wife together. He'll come around.

I think often people think dogs were abused by men -and maybe they were- but sometimes I think they're playing it safe around the alpha, because they feel generally vulnerable. Not a huge difference, but a difference. Not all skeptical dogs are abused.

When you say Aussie, do you mean Australian Cattle Dog, or Australian Shepard? My wife had an Australian Cattle Dog when I met her and she is a VERY skeptical dog. But they're very smart and they figure out who's good and who's bad.

All of this plus, get down on his level. a person standing up is pretty imposing. 

Lay out in the yard on a nice sunny day and soak up some sun. A person on the ground is less intimidating to a dog. Bet he will get curious and start sniffing around. Patience will pay off. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jingles1928 said:

Long walks, regularly.  My wife is a professional dog walker and has a stronger bond with some of dogs than the owners do. In general, our Collies prefer to be with me outside, but when she come out with the leashes, it's like I don't exist anymore.

34 minutes ago, redneckhippie said:

Sally has a fascination with exhaust. Tractor or truck. Doesnt matter as long as it points up. Lots of times she wont come to me when I say C'mere. I think its probably something here previous owner did. 

Screenshot_20200510-125138_Gallery.jpg

Curious, maybe when she heard the motor or saw the exhaust she knew she was going for a ride???

Maybe there was a bird nest in a stack and baby birds fell out of it???

Heard mice in there squeaking???

Dogs remember the strangest things. 

Kinda like whenever I pick up a hay bale. Dogs know there is a good chance of catching a mouse and they are ready. Ah, good memories?

1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

Curious, maybe when she heard the motor or saw the exhaust she knew she was going for a ride???

Maybe there was a bird nest in a stack and baby birds fell out of it???

Heard mice in there squeaking???

Dogs remember the strangest things. 

Kinda like whenever I pick up a hay bale. Dogs know there is a good chance of catching a mouse and they are ready. Ah, good memories?

She gets excited when I start them. She also likes jumping up at a couple fir braches that are out of her reach. She has wore holes in the ground under them. She is always trying to catch small bugs. My mom thinks she sees ferries. 

• Haha 1

Dog is a shepard. Lot of good ideas thanx.  Our last dog was a Australian shepard, Hard to not compare them but they are two completely different personalities.  I believe patience is going to be the key.