KWRB

The Dog Thread

On 1/26/2019 at 12:02 AM, 1586 Jeff said:

Sam is my 14 year old Tosa rescue.  He was seized from his first owner as a young puppy.

Sam then spent 8-10 months in an Animal Shelter until I adopted him at 19 months of age.  He was a basket case.  The word “Beating” would make him cower instantly.  I only found that out when an insurance adjuster came to look at a wrecked car and I had had Sam less than 72 hours at that point.

I spent the next year and a half getting Sam ready to go to obedience school.  AKA: how to train the owner to operate the dog.

At obedience school Sam showed everyone that “Beating” now means “Sit, Beg, and Catch A Biscuit!”

And many biscuits were consumed by Sam!   Just getting him to “Catch” was a feat due to the optic nerve damage that he suffered from being beaten as a puppy.

The second and third pictures were taken this past fall.  I found a pair of stray kittens in the hayloft wedged into a pile of stickered lumber.  The gray kitten went to an employee at another farm and has an amazing human mother and dog sister.

The black & grey tiger kitten I kept and was smitten by it.  I named her Barley and she took to Sam instantly.  My wife’s two ungrateful cats just hissed and spat at Barley, but Sam was very content to let Barley sleep on top of him.  Barley seemed to prefer that over curling up next to Sam   Maybe she felt safer there.

Unfortunately Barley passed on November 14th, 10 days after I got her.  That was pretty devastating for me.  Funny how 13 ounces of furry fury can work its way into your life.

Thankfully Sam was there for me to give me the unconditional love that only a dog can give.

Sam has been having difficulty getting up from laying down, hence the vest that he was wearing last fall we were picking rocks, so I do not know how much longer I will have this wonderful creature in my life.  But Sam has been truly awesome!!

BC6C0E96-E18D-46F4-AEA4-B3F15903E498.jpeg

791FA604-9333-46AD-A131-A1EE508060B0.jpeg

4BAD78CB-1A1B-40A3-A02C-ACDEEEEB8219.jpeg

its funny ( and sad) about the beatings, because around here beatings have always been something to be excited about because that's what I call treats. I started this purely to irritate the neighbors at my folks house. step out to call the dog "DO YOU WANT A BEATING???!!!" and they come running😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Have to share this pic of my daughter, SIL & their dog from last weekend on their wedding day.  Leo is an English Creme Golden Retriever. He cleans up well!!

BE308FB7-D76F-4921-A4D3-99D9C68CF5CC.thumb.jpeg.3708bfef773bbc1e43bb424176892ff2.jpeg

• Like 7

This is Max. Kind of a rescue. He was headed to the pound with 4 brothers. The brothers were adopted first. He was the runt. He won me over. I have always had dogs and liked dogs but Max is special. He loves to ride and has been my buddy for 6 years now.

002-01.JPG

007.JPG

012.JPG

• Like 8

My boy was an orphan in his litter too. The people that were supposed to take him had a life situation change and had to move -no space for a setter to run, so after their non-refundable deposit, I got him for the cost of a few vet bills! I didn't hurt that he was my aunt's dog's puppy. He's my best friend in the whole world.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eason said:

This is Max. Kind of a rescue. He was headed to the pound with 4 brothers. The brothers were adopted first. He was the runt. He won me over. I have always had dogs and liked dogs but Max is special. He loves to ride and has been my buddy for 6 years now.

002-01.JPG

007.JPG

012.JPG

Doesn’t look like the runt anymore 

• Like 3

On 1/26/2019 at 6:02 AM, 856 Custom said:

We've got 8 shelter dog's.

We have several to. All but two are/were rescues. Then we found Foxy, Roxie, and Wrangler. And when we heard the abandoned word we got involved. Wife and I both aren't built to just walk away. And after all the XXXX they went through, we decided they should stay together and with us. So our numbers went up by three unexpectedly. But what's a person to do? And about 2.5 years ago now we found Milo on Craigslist. His owners were moving, he couldn't go with them, and had been rehomed I think twice before. And the lady seemed desperate. No doubt he needed a forever home. He was about an hour drive west of the Iowa Nebraska border. So off we went. The lady ended up meeting us at the border. And I remember the conversation well. My wife, a true animal lover, even questioned if we should follow through? And we did. Milo is a big yellow lab. We call him our PIG DOG. Has a wide body and grunts like a pig. So all was good. He's got lots of time left as far as we know. But his hips are weak. He literally got kicked in the butt a lot according to the lady we met. 

And all this time we were wondering why we were finding so many to rescue? Then it started. Lost two to cancer within 6 months of each other. And Remington just passed. 

So as others have mentioned, they find you. We take in the ones that find us. Give them the best life we can give them for as long as it lasts. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, red tractor fever said:

Here's a video I found yesterday. Thought it might be of interest in this thread.

That is the product of a lot of good training!!

My night has been made!!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 5488Duke said:

Have to share this pic of my daughter, SIL & their dog from last weekend on their wedding day.  Leo is an English Creme Golden Retriever. He cleans up well!!

BE308FB7-D76F-4921-A4D3-99D9C68CF5CC.thumb.jpeg.3708bfef773bbc1e43bb424176892ff2.jpeg

Now that is really awesome of them to include Leo the dog in their wedding day!!

Leo’s coat matches your daughter’s dress quite well.  Was that planned that way?

On 1/24/2019 at 7:07 PM, IHKeith said:

This is Nicky, she is 15 months old now, she’s comes from a lab/pit mother and St. Bernard father, she’s a great dog. 

I have seen many videos of the crazy reactions of dogs being reunited with long lost owners, Nicky acts like that every night I come home, she’s an amusing companion 

724FDEB4-A7F9-486E-85E2-A06411772199.jpeg

This is me with Raleigh in 1977.  He was half Great Dane and half St. Bernard.  Amazing likeness to your dog.

PICT0005 (4).JPG

• Like 2

Scan_20180721_edited.thumb.jpg.2f7c347d29053e0147f52ea941558f4a.thumb.jpg.8984b05d7a0fb24128f955060c8758f8.jpg

Isn't this Raliegh riding through the town of RedPower sometime ago.

Such a great dog picture-----I saved it.

👍😁

DD

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Delta Dirt said:

Scan_20180721_edited.thumb.jpg.2f7c347d29053e0147f52ea941558f4a.thumb.jpg.8984b05d7a0fb24128f955060c8758f8.jpg

👍😁

DD

That is absolutely a GREAT picture. My wife loved it to. I saved it to for when I need a chuckle. Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Delta Dirt said:

👍😁

DD

Yup.  That's him.

Once in while somebody would wave at him when we were going through town.

• Haha 2

Just when I thought this forum couldn’t get better

He was still a pup in those pictures.  He ended up weighing about 180.  I could ride on him.  Till he got tired of it and threw me off.

Our dog "Puppy" represents all of the great dogs we have had in the past.

20180213_194442.thumb.jpg.ef78192b05dafbf8009b55038a84b26c.jpg

I picked him up at the drug store last Valentine's day for my wife.   We both walk by and rub his head ocassionally-----drawing us back to fond memories of the past.

5488Duke------my son's yellow lab attended his wedding also (wearing a red bowtie).  Wookie is gone now------but we still have his red bowtie hanging on the rack.

DD

• Like 1

jealousy.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

img_1523.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

On 1/27/2019 at 8:05 PM, Steve C. said:

This is me with Raleigh in 1977.  He was half Great Dane and half St. Bernard.  Amazing likeness to your dog.

PICT0005 (4).JPG

Wow, thanks for sharing, great pics, the truck pic is pretty funny.

Nicky frequently rests her front legs like a human rests an arm too

I work at home and this is in my office. He does this all day. He's perfected the "saddest dog in the world" look when he has to wait to play or go run. I'll be in conference calls and he'll sigh so loud it can heard through the phone, just to get my attention.

I don't care. Still my best friend.

IMG_20181004_145102.jpg

• Like 6

Here is pictures of my three dogs in warmer days, they seem to spend a lot of time indoors this winter....being bored or snoring really loud! 

My old girl who is showing her paw in the picture will be 13 this year at the end of may, she’s in pretty good health yet but starting to slow down a bit. I got her at six weeks old from a friend of a friend who’s dog had a litter of puppies by accident.

Then there’s Barley who is sitting down in the picture, looking up the pole wondering where the squirrel went. He’s the type of dog that loves everyone and he would let you steal everything on the farm!  He also likes to eat too much and lives a stress free life style! I got him at eight weeks of age and I think I saved him from an abusive future.

And then there is Kimo who showed up here five years ago and has never left, he is the real guard dog of the farm, He trusts no one when I’m not home!  We seen him around for a couple of weeks before we were able to catch him, One day he started following me around but stayed within 25 or 30 feet of me, I gave him some food and left him alone until my girlfriend came home from work and she was able to feed him and put him on a leash and brought him in the house to warm up.  He must’ve been abused by men in the past because he was very nervous around me, it took him about a year to be able to trust me, now I can do pretty much anything with him. 

7730D390-ED1F-48EE-81CE-F3855BA19C24.jpeg

1E38D558-D1E2-4338-B303-CBE1F2F9433A.jpeg

580A3233-752C-4F63-80FA-4C6AFAE1B684.jpeg

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

Then there’s Barley who is sitting down in the picture, looking up the pole wondering where the squirrel went.

I have to laugh at this because my border collie, Cash is that way with squirrels. They bark down at him and he barks up at them and the race is on, squirrels running through the trees and Cash down below. One time a squirrel missed the branch and hit the ground right in front of Cash. In the melee that followed, the squirrel got away. Or did Cash let him get away. Maybe they are just putting on a show for me and when I'm gone the squirrels come down and play cards with the dogs or make fun of the cat or what ever they do, I dunno. 

• Haha 3

This bumblebee, he-is  a chihuahua ,I don’t consider him a dog 🐶      I fact we have not hit it off . 

Only good thing is he bites the neighborhood kids ,they don’t like to come over and play. 👍🏿👀👈🐶

he barks the entire time if anyone comes over to visit , we have to put him in a bedroom ugh 😑 

FA34A0E5-5AA2-4AFC-90D2-6198121E7CCB.jpeg

• Haha 2