KWRB

The Dog Thread

• Haha 1

dog lucifer.jpg

• Haha 1

I have an injured cattle dog.

She did the same thing to her other knee a year and a half ago. A couple mortgage payments and a six month recovery later, she had a great new knee. She wrecked the other one yesterday.

Total severance of the cruciate ligament. It sucks. The poor girl hurts, she's confused, and she might even know she's in for a miserable recovery. We have to keep her nearly crated while the new ligament forms. At least 2 months of essentially being crated, then slowly resuming walking on it.

I'm tore up and I feel like absolute garbage about it. She was playing with her ball, cut left to right, and then laid right down. Vet says it's highly congenital, and that it's not reasonable to keep a dog housebound to protect it, especially a high energy outdoor-playing dog like her.

Ugh. So now we're waiting to hear when the surgery date is, before the six month clock starts. It sucks and I feel terrible for our girl. It's been a bad few weeks in this house...

• Sad 4

9 hours ago, KWRB said:

I have an injured cattle dog.

She did the same thing to her other knee a year and a half ago. A couple mortgage payments and a six month recovery later, she had a great new knee. She wrecked the other one yesterday.

Total severance of the cruciate ligament. It sucks. The poor girl hurts, she's confused, and she might even know she's in for a miserable recovery. We have to keep her nearly crated while the new ligament forms. At least 2 months of essentially being crated, then slowly resuming walking on it.

I'm tore up and I feel like absolute garbage about it. She was playing with her ball, cut left to right, and then laid right down. Vet says it's highly congenital, and that it's not reasonable to keep a dog housebound to protect it, especially a high energy outdoor-playing dog like her.

Ugh. So now we're waiting to hear when the surgery date is, before the six month clock starts. It sucks and I feel terrible for our girl. It's been a bad few weeks in this house...

I really feel for you and her. She just wants to go. Doesn't understand why she can't why it hurts. My border collie is getting on in age and if I let him he will work cattle till he goes down in the hips. I have to watch him and pull him in to rest before it gets to that point. Good luck, I hope it works out and I know how you feel.

• Thanks 1

Had a Golden Retiever Lilly who ate a deer carcass.

The entire lower jaw, ligaments/hide had to surgically removed.

$1400.

She was worth every penny.

I have wasted 10 times that amount in my life.

That last statement reminded me of a trucker my son worked with named Snake.

Snake won $50k years back in the lottery.

We asked Snake what he did with his winnings.

He said he spent it on women and booze..... then he wasted the rest. :lol:

• Like 1

Our 2 dogs a Dauchound ( 14 years old ) and a Labrador ( 9 years old ) we have had them since they were pups .

Unfortunately just a few days ago my Wife accidently ran over the Dauschound and he is no longer with us , she was absolutely devastated . We gave him a proper burial in his favorite shady spot beneath a tree in our back yard . 

Rest easy Little Buddy 

Resized_20190606_104131.jpeg

• Sad 6

I'm very sorry to hear that. My visit to the vet yesterday forces me to acknowledge their short lives and think about what's inevitable.

It sucks

But it's unconditional love and I'll take unconditional love for however long I can get it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KWRB said:

I'm very sorry to hear that. My visit to the vet yesterday forces me to acknowledge their short lives and think about what's inevitable.

It sucks

But it's unconditional love and I'll take unconditional love for however long I can get it.

Totally agree , those vet visits can be tough . We had a Golden Retriever that lived to 19 years old . Got hip displasia really bad and was in pain constantly and also developed cancerious tumors and we had to have her put down , tough to watch but she didnt have much of a quality of life anymore , couldnt hardly get around anymore .

Pets are smart , the Labrador knows what had happened I believe , he is really clingly and mopey . He goes by the grave sniffs the ground and rests his paw on the dirt and than lays beside it for awhile .

• Sad 2

What got me through the pain of losing all of my pets was a trip to the rescue and bringing another lost soul home with me. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FARMALL FIXER said:

Pets are smart , the Labrador knows what had happened I believe , he is really clingly and mopey . He goes by the grave sniffs the ground and rests his paw on the dirt and than lays beside it for awhile .

Dogs are so intelligent and complex.

You know your dog better than I, but I'm a believer in new life after a loss. I would seriously consider getting another dog. Puppy, adoption, whatever. I know my other dog wasn't happy when I was leaving with his sister to go to the vet on Wednesday. I think if they're used to a companion, it's best to get them a new one.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MTO said:

What got me through the pain of losing all of my pets was a trip to the rescue and bringing another lost soul home with me. 

That is wonderful MTO , those rescued pet can be some of the most loyal pets a person can have in my opinion . Quite a few come from a life of abuse and neglect and all they want is to be loved and cared for . You are a fine gentleman sir .

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, FARMALL FIXER said:

First off my condolences, I wish I had some reassuring words for your wife, accidents happen to good people also. Tell her my thoughts are with her. I'm sure your Lab knows what all went on. I believe they may even be on a higher level of consciousness than us. They can sense when we are happy, sad, even sick. Their mind isn't cluttered with the day to day crap we deal with. They only want to be with us and make us happy. One of God's greatest gifts to man. A dogs bond to another dog is very strong also and when one leaves it is a huge loss and they look to you to help ease their pain. This is Gus and Cash, born a year apart, definitely brothers from different mothers. 

IMG_1944.thumb.JPG.8438f87500e7624f179858dd5c6579ab.JPG

Even though Gus doesn't look that happy in the above pic at the new pup in the family 😄, it didn't take him long to bond very strongly with him😊

IMG_20190119_163615863.jpg.cac1370403b23e42aacb204b949560b4.jpg

• Like 3

dog cookie.jpg

• Haha 5

Its tough with those old dogs.  They dont get out of your way like they once did.  I ran over one asleep under a hay wagon once.  Makes ya feel terrible. 

Sorry for your loss.

I haven't posted in this thread before today, but here's our girl.  Half border collie half English shepherd.  Smart dog, but pretty independent.

20190725_173318.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TN Hillbilly said:

20190714_200126.jpg

Twins?

14 hours ago, Cool1566 said:

Twins?

Yep.

20 minutes ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Yep.

Cool! I always thought I wanted twins. Had then one at a time though. 

dog explodes.jpg

• Haha 1

.......well......nothing is  forever.....is it ??!!:(

Saturday morning   , our pet/ cattle  dog   came for a good run with me, whilst  I took the old Massey 165, across the river and up to  where we   have a small mob of cattle feeding   oats and baleage...no problems with "jed"   .......he was still "camping "   in an old arm chair in our cabin, this since the incident I ,mentioned recently......in  MTO's post    where he was having words with the boy "working " for him........I talked about the stupid  grandson of mine.....throwing a knife at our dog....and the subsequent trauma that it caused us.....that was about 16 months ago, I guess.....

Saturday  night we seem to have a ritual....going down the valley, about 25 minutes to my Brothers place......where we have dinner together......Before we left "Jed "  was fine....happy in his arm chair....with the wood burner   stoked up, so he and the two cats were nice and warm.......We   are back at 10.30 pm......and "Jed "  is not happy......listless and restless....not bothered to say "hello"  like he normally does after even the briefest of absences..... Not  wanting any tucker, had a  drink of water....went outside...back inside...Tried the Vet  "24hr  Service # "...nothing ...no reply.....Midnight came...I had to operate the D53 next day.....I was tired....but the dogs  "conduct' was very disturbing.....Dog got up, and went over to my son's bed and lay down with him...never done that before...then wanted out..again....He was sort of whimpering, so he went out and didn't come back......Wife and son went looking for him......we have a river running a few yards away from this cabin.....and enough   cover to hide a moose...never mind a 'huntaway   cattle   dog''

I left for work early next morning......got back after dark...I reckoned   the worst   when I could see our two vehicles  had not been moved all day.........

Wife and Son found him......probably 300 yds from the cabin.....down in a paddock where "Jed " loved  chasing   the hares and rabbits that  lived there, under the toe of the hill behind us.......

They had buried him before   I made it home from work........Jed was seven years old...and loved by us.......a genial  dog.....that rode the quad bikes with us.....travelled over the river to our top block in the 'cage ' I made ..to save the road trip in the winter etc......went everywhere with us on cattle work etc etc etc

There were tears in the house  that night.......still can't believe it

Mike

....a bit of a PS.......long time ago , I had a "Kelpie" dog......never would hold a pig, but was a great "finder".......he used to ride in the truck with me.......One day an old cockie   (farmer )  friend  said to me........"Don't  love that dog , Mike.......just treat him good...but treat him like another animal.....not a friend.....because one day he won't come home "

I have been through this sadness  several   times, over the years,.......never learn 

"Jed's" picture is on page one of this thread...never thought his  "death notice " would make the thread...sigh