The Dog Thread

KWRB

On 2/23/2024 at 8:56 AM, KWRB said:

I'm always intrigued by people who give their dogs meals. Any dog I've had had always had 24/7 access to food. What do you guys do?

Loki eats twice a day or he wouldn't stop. He'll go until he pukes & eat that right back up.

Not doing that again.

Mike

• Haha 4

On 3/1/2024 at 9:12 AM, sandhiller said:

91q3zh2IkcL._UF10001000_QL80_.thumb.jpg.65badc3fb8d5790950c0f6ede1775400.jpg

Thats the truth.  Charlie the older lab/shorthair thinks he needs a test of the gum you popped in your mouth.  Food in their bowl and he acts like hes starving.  Hes got a bit less rib showing than when he was 2 at 5 but hes fast and slick stilll(cant fix pic?)l!20240204_145206.thumb.jpg.ac292cc8912413c313e2464f2ac8a5a5.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Thats the truth.  Charlie the older lab/shorthair thinks he needs a test of the gum you popped in your mouth.  Food in their bowl and he acts like hes starving.  Hes got a bit less rib showing than when he was 2 at 5 but hes fast and slick stilll(cant fix pic?)l!20240204_145206.thumb.jpg.ac292cc8912413c313e2464f2ac8a5a5.jpg

I always liked short hairs, great personality and strong work ethic.
our last lab was super fast, long and lean, until she was 6. My brother decided to take her for an 8 mile bike ride, which would have been fine except he went up the mountain and back down, coasting all the way and the dog trying to keep up for 4 miles on asphalt. It was a stupid thing to have done, it wasn’t malicious. Nevertheless her pads looked like raw hamburger, and she could barely stand, it took her weeks to recover, i was taking her out with a firewood sling underneath her to do her business, she never really was the same after that, she became an old dog overnight. 

This one on the other hand seems to have no pain receptors, and really no brain. This was from my trail cam, I was up above stacking wood and she kept dropping the ball for me to throw and then it would roll down the hill so she would have to retrieve it. Sounds like a great game except she didn’t seem to realize she was playing her own game with herself. Sort of a forest for the trees situation 

IMG_4722.png

• Haha 2

Farewell cover girl Cassie.

The date is scheduled for Friday. Cassie has done her job, very well I might add, and we're going to let her go before she loses all her quality of life. As I posted on here a while back, she's been getting old and slow, but worse, she has canine cognitive dysfunction (dementia) real bad. She's fairly physically healthy, and that's what makes picking the day so painful. One feels real guilty, but her mind is in real bad shape.

Nonetheless, it's time to pay with sadness for fifteen great years with the best protector a single mom and a girl, or later, a family, could ask for.

It's gonna be **** on my wife, and so it falls to me to do the deed. This is my job, but it's no fun.

I'll add, and I don't have a picture to show it, but it's a story I'll always remember fondly. When I was first dating my wife, before I even met my stepdaughter, I went to her house one day to pick her up for a date. She had warned about her dog, and the first time I met her, she was indeed a typical, skeptical, standoffish, heeler. Well, this was maybe the third time I'd come there. She met me at the door with a toy. That's how I knew I was in Cassie's good graces. It's almost silly to say how good that made me feel. I was in my twenties then, chasing a girl. I'm about to turn forty. Feels like a lifetime ago, and for one of us, unfortunately, it is

Cassie took such great care of her Momma and her sister. Now, we're spoiling her as best we can for next few days.

She's thankfully ignorant to what's happening, but it falls to me now, to be the tough guy for my wife and daughter.

• Like 1
  • Sad 15

2 hours ago, KWRB said:

She's thankfully ignorant to what's happening, but it falls to me now, to be the tough guy for my wife and daughter

Tough times for sure.  Knowing you are doing the right thing somehow makes it no easier.

That's a nice story of Cassie meeting you at the door with a toy.  Thank you for sharing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@KWRB I am very sorry for your situation, losing them is one thing, scheduling it is another. My heart goes out to you and your family. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KWRB said:

The date is scheduled for Friday. Cassie has done her job, very well I might add, and we're going to let her go before she loses all her quality of life. As I posted on here a while back, she's been getting old and slow, but worse, she has canine cognitive dysfunction (dementia) real bad. She's fairly physically healthy, and that's what makes picking the day so painful. One feels real guilty, but her mind is in real bad shape.

Nonetheless, it's time to pay with sadness for fifteen great years with the best protector a single mom and a girl, or later, a family, could ask for.

It's gonna be **** on my wife, and so it falls to me to do the deed. This is my job, but it's no fun.

I'll add, and I don't have a picture to show it, but it's a story I'll always remember fondly. When I was first dating my wife, before I even met my stepdaughter, I went to her house one day to pick her up for a date. She had warned about her dog, and the first time I met her, she was indeed a typical, skeptical, standoffish, heeler. Well, this was maybe the third time I'd come there. She met me at the door with a toy. That's how I knew I was in Cassie's good graces. It's almost silly to say how good that made me feel. I was in my twenties then, chasing a girl. I'm about to turn forty. Feels like a lifetime ago, and for one of us, unfortunately, it is

Cassie took such great care of her Momma and her sister. Now, we're spoiling her as best we can for next few days.

She's thankfully ignorant to what's happening, but it falls to me now, to be the tough guy for my wife and daughter.

Been in that situation a few times now and I don't envy you. It will hurt like the dickens, but over time it will allow you to meet and love another great canine friend. Cassie will always be special here on RPM as she enabled up to this point, 123 pages of doggie goodness. We are all thankful to you both for that.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I always liked short hairs, great personality and strong work ethic.
our last lab was super fast, long and lean, until she was 6. My brother decided to take her for an 8 mile bike ride, which would have been fine except he went up the mountain and back down, coasting all the way and the dog trying to keep up for 4 miles on asphalt. It was a stupid thing to have done, it wasn’t malicious. Nevertheless her pads looked like raw hamburger, and she could barely stand, it took her weeks to recover, i was taking her out with a firewood sling underneath her to do her business, she never really was the same after that, she became an old dog overnight. 

This one on the other hand seems to have no pain receptors, and really no brain. This was from my trail cam, I was up above stacking wood and she kept dropping the ball for me to throw and then it would roll down the hill so she would have to retrieve it. Sounds like a great game except she didn’t seem to realize she was playing her own game with herself. Sort of a forest for the trees situation 

IMG_4722.png

Makes me sad to hear about your brother and your last lab, Seth 

Dog was just trying to please and paid dearly for it.

Malicious, maybe not but ignorance is not an excuse.

I'll let it go but I hope your brother learned a valuable lesson and will never let it happen again.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, KWRB said:

I am so sorry for you having to make such a tough but humane decision.

A decision made out of love 

My eyes are welling up thinking about it.

Cassie was truly God's gift to your family

Memories will be with you always and in time you will be able to smile as you recall them

You will be blessed with another great companion, I am sure of it

God takes care of those who care for his creatures.

I truly wish I had some words to help you through this time.

Just lots of hugs and tears this week.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, KWRB said:

Kurt...Cassie will live forever on this site....and thanks to you...and her, all of us ol'  hound lovers  have ..and will continue to have,  great pleasure in sharing memories....both happy and, inevitably sad....

We  all  know what you are going thru .....and have total empathy  with the situation......

All the best to you.......

Mike

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, KWRB said:

It’s a little sappy, but I hope you all know the story of “The Rainbow Bridge” it is comforting to those of us left behind. I am truly sorry for your loss.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1