The Dog Thread

KWRB

Here is our grand dog , Miss Molly , we are doggy day care Monday through Friday for our son . Love having her around , she goes everywhere with me ??

Danny 

image.jpeg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

Here is our grand dog , Miss Molly , we are doggy day care Monday through Friday for our son . Love having her around , she goes everywhere with me ??

Danny 

image.jpeg

Your son's dog looks a lot happier than this poor guy?

doggy daycare.PNG

• Haha 5

My chunky beagle in her normal position 

BDF37E90-CC75-4FE3-8F11-033E68C77C91.jpeg

• Like 6

Took my pups in for their annual visit yesterday. Thought I'd share some of it.

Pup #1:

Nine or ten year old female rescued mutt (Corgi and Red Heeler).

A year ago she had knee surgery to replace a severed Cruciate ligament (like an ACL in humans). She had ruptured the ligament entirely when she slipped in the icy tracks from the tractor in January. The doc, who's been our family vet for decades and is very good, suggested she probably had damaged the cartilage as well. He performed this surgery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNymdzyRavs. When he got in there he did see damaged cartilage which appeared to have been injured long beforehand. He removed all of her knee cartilage entirely. He said that her body will generate what he called a "poor substitute for cartilage" that would suffice for the duration of a dog's life. He said that were it to be a human case, she'd have had a knee replacement. He recommended putting her on a glucosamine supplement for life to help build that cartilage replacement, keep lubricity in repaired knee and help the other joints as well. Both dogs were on Cosaquin following her surgery, which we got from the vet, but she had to have it forced down every day, which gets old. We've switched to VetIQ hip and joint treats (2/day each dog). They wolf them down.

So a lot of backstory, but he checked both knees and said they were both good and tight. Great news.

Pup #2

Six year old male English Setter.

He hasn't had any health issues in the past year. We had him neutered last summer when we determined we would never breed him. Doc said the neutering does occasionally effect metabolism, and it did in him. He gained about 6 pounds, or about 10% his body weight. To be fair, I haven't let him run much this winter on account of what happened last winter (see above) and he's a runner to be sure. We weren't given any recommended dietary changes, yet. We discussed really letting him run a lot now that the ice is gone, and see if he gets his weight back down. He's not "overweight" per the doc, but he's trending that direction.

Both dogs got Bordatella (Kennel Cough) spray vaccine, which is annual. We get them groomed (nails, b-holes, wash) every few months and board them about once a year, so it's required. The spray is best, when dogs allow it. The alternative is an injection which our heeler accepts better than the spray up the nose, but the injection is a two-part and would require coming back into the office. For the Heeler, it's a battle. She fights it like the devil but we got it in her.

Both got Leptospirosis annual vaccine. Lepto is a bacteria common in wet areas like tropics and swampy areas. Our vet says if they play in, run a lot through or drink from standing water on occasion, that it's recommended. Ours have free reign outdoors and there is a lot of water until about June, so they get that via injection.

Testing for heart worms was negative. Came home with Heartguard, which they've been on for years.

The big one: Lyme blood tests and Lyme vaccine. Both dogs get ticks every year and we are in Lyme country. The setter runs more and runs farther out than the heeler and he probably gets 50 ticks a year or more. Usually I find them while they're still crawling but sometimes they get to bite. Usually the biters die before they get really engorged (see Bravecto, below). Both dogs have continued to test negative for Lyme disease and tested negative again this year. I highly recommend the Lyme vaccine. I don't know the exact name of the vaccine my dogs get but I can ask if anyone wants to know.

We came home with Bravecto for fleas and ticks. We've been using Bravecto for three years or so and it's the best product in my opinion. We'd used the topical oil stuff and it worked okay, but you can't wash the dog with soap without having to reapply it after. For an indoor/outdoor dog, this was a huge pain. Also Bravecto is a 90-day product and the topical is monthly. My wife has read the "Bravecto killed my dog" crap online, and our vet says he'd only second guess giving it to a dog if the dog is already prone to seizures. This morning the heeler threw up, and it might have been that the Bravecto upset her stomach. There was grass in it though too, so it might have been on account of the nasty old March grass she ate. She thinks she's a goat.

Other stuff, like heart and lung function, teeth, etc. all checked out. They were given clean bills of health!

Anyway, I posted this because someone might think it's valuable to know what others are doing with our dogs for health.

• Thanks 1

Not exactly a dog................. caught this little guy one day in the pasture and brought him home. He was thin, full of lice,  fleas and ticks. Got him cleaned up and fed and he took to us right away. He was ornery but not mean. He stayed around about a year and then he must have heard the call of the wild or discovered girls or something else and took off. Couldn't bring myself to shoot a coyote for a couple of years after that, just on the off chance. ?

Chance coyote.jpg

• Like 5

Was lucky on this photo ,Emmy ! The German shorthair isn’t still ever ️Should of named her Off! ,or NO ???

C539BF8F-2B05-4137-8758-23A8775520FB.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/29/2019 at 7:00 PM, sandhiller said:

Not exactly a dog................. caught this little guy one day in the pasture and brought him home. He was thin, full of lice,  fleas and ticks. Got him cleaned up and fed and he took to us right away. He was ornery but not mean. He stayed around about a year and then he must have heard the call of the wild or discovered girls or something else and took off. Couldn't bring myself to shoot a coyote for a couple of years after that, just on the off chance. ?

Chance coyote.jpg

You say he was ornery but it looks like all three of you could be ?

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, 88power said:

You say he was ornery but it looks like all three of you could be ?

Ha, Ha, that boy is definitely his mother's son?I was but a pup myself.  ???

• Like 2

I lost my favorite dog.

Shadow had been missing since Thursday night. It's not unusual for her to stay out hunting all night in good weather. We went to town Thursday and she was gone when we got back but our other two house dogs were home. I let them in to sleep. Shadow never showed up Friday so I drove the roads looking for her and talked to neighbors. At least she had not been run over.

Saturday morning i talked to the women who live across the woods south of us. They said they herd a terrible coyote/dog fight Thursday night east of their house. that would be due south of our house. I walked the woods and found her. By looking at the tracks and marks on the ground there was a big fight. She lay dead about 20 ft away with some severe wounds.

She protected the property and took her job seriously. She has killed many coyotes and other varmints, running even more off. After 16 years she rolled the dice one to many times.

I am very sad but it is selfish, I don't want to let her go. She has lived a long live full of fun and adventure. She lived life on her terms except when I occasionally made her do something else. She road with me often in my truck, tractor, combine and the like, not laying down but watching where we are headed. She sometimes jumped off an open tractor to catch a rabbit. She believed in me and would try to do ANYTHING I told her to. She would jump in the back of the truck over the tailgate when I patted the bed.

I can think of no better way for her to die.

I hope my end can be as noble.

But I am selfish and am stricken with grief.

Ace

tmp_4803-20190120_103130-1067894613.jpg

tmp_4803-20180713_184837-624709052.jpg

• Sad 6

Very, very sorry for your loss sir. I can tell you two had that special bond. Nothing but time will lessen the pain and you will look back on the good times you shared and smile. I'm sorry I don't have any better words. My thoughts and prayers are with you tonight.