The Dog Thread

KWRB

On 11/24/2023 at 10:56 PM, vtfireman85 said:

IMG_2961.jpeg

Hoooo boy! There some judgement coming through that door! Someone needs to make with the plea bargain (snacks) already.

Mike

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

IMG_1049.jpeg

My dog will help unload the car for them. Might want to do it in a different state though.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

Hoooo boy! There some judgement coming through that door! Someone needs to make with the plea bargain (snacks) already.

Mike

She does look pretty grumpy doesn’t she? Not the case though, pretty sweet dog most of the time… until she’s not. Add that to the list of reasons I DON’T own a Springer. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

She does look pretty grumpy doesn’t she? Not the case though, pretty sweet dog most of the time… until she’s not. Add that to the list of reasons I DON’T own a Springer. 

It's all in the eyebrows:

image.jpeg.f87765a422855eeb93118414be5d2bc2.jpeg

I've been around several Springers & concur. Our neighbor's was a bee with an itch at times, just-for-because. Had kind of a cat like temperament. That one passed years ago & they got an AWS. A bit thick headed, but generally good natured & was easy to train.

Mike

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

It's all in the eyebrows:

image.jpeg.f87765a422855eeb93118414be5d2bc2.jpeg

I've been around several Springers & concur. Our neighbor's was a bee with an itch at times, just-for-because. Had kind of a cat like temperament. That one passed years ago & they got an AWS. A bit thick headed, but generally good natured & was easy to train.

Mike

The males they have had have been really great dogs without an ounce of unpredictability. This female is fine with adults, and fine with children she knows but kids as a species scare her and she is predictably unpredictable with dogs. 
my last lab got a trip to the vet because of her more than once for no apparent reason at all. 
the black one on the photo left is good natured but particularly dumb. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

My dog will help unload the car for them. Might want to do it in a different state though.

Mike

It takes a heck of a dog to unload a Badger.  I saw a Rottweiler who thought he could do it and he found out he was wrong.

Nothing a $1000 dollar vet bill didn't fix though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Mark (EC,IN) said:

It takes a heck of a dog to unload a Badger.  I saw a Rottweiler who thought he could do it and he found out he was wrong.

Nothing a $1000 dollar vet bill didn't fix though.

If my dog wasn't soft around the edges & was still built like a porterhouse, I wouldn't be too concerned. The AmStaff has lineage back to the British Bull & Terrier which were bred as a dog that could easily dispatch a badger or wolverine. AmStaffs also have an incredibly high tolerance for pain & once they lock on to their target.... it's going to be all over for the unfortunate critter that gets chomped on.*

Mike

*Stated as a generalization, knowing how nature works & essentially anything can happen in a battle.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ihrondiesel said:

IMG_1049.jpeg

Several years ago my red heeler found out that particular line of blue heeler could scare the snot out of her. No blood shed but she found out they were not easy to crunch like an opossum or raccoon 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

If my dog wasn't soft around the edges & was still built like a porterhouse, I wouldn't be too concerned. The AmStaff has lineage back to the British Bull & Terrier which were bred as a dog that could easily dispatch a badger or wolverine. AmStaffs also have an incredibly high tolerance for pain & once they lock on to their target.... it's going to be all over for the unfortunate critter that gets chomped on.*

Mike

*Stated as a generalization, knowing how nature works & essentially anything can happen in a battle.

We have our fair share of badgers here

The one critter I would not let my dogs loose on

Risk was too high and too easy to dispatch with the .22 pistol

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sandhiller said:

We have our fair share of badgers here

The one critter I would not let my dogs loose on

Risk was too high and too easy to dispatch with the .22 pistol

After a bit of research.... yep, high velocity lead is the best way. Seems the breed does have the instinct, but needs to be trained & even then it is iffy.

Mike

n1hUoJ3-3937893001.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, mike newman said:

......would never be as satisfying  as the effort going into that   (photo)    shot.........just sayin '

Mike

Only good Yote is a dead one. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mike newman said:

......would never be as satisfying  as the effort going into that   (photo)    shot.........just sayin '

Mike

Almost looks like taxidermy

Some very talented people out there

I would rather think it is a real photo though

1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

Almost looks like taxidermy

Some very talented people out there

I would rather think it is a real photo though

.......I never considered that possibility, Jeff....but there are some seriously dedicated   ''wild life ''  photographers out there....like the bloke that took this picture of two Ibex.....

...another wonderful picture....

Mike

1697143735716  ibex.jpg

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, mike newman said:

.......I never considered that possibility, Jeff....but there are some seriously dedicated   ''wild life ''  photographers out there....like the bloke that took this picture of two Ibex.....

...another wonderful picture....

Mike

1697143735716  ibex.jpg

Absolutely Mike

Those photographers are amazing

Just looks likes something I would see in a Cabela's store

Either way a lot of time and talent to be admired 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, hardtail said:

I'd be the goat on the left and pull back at the last second and utter sucka as he was on his way to the bottom 🙄

My thought exactly!

Mike

Fun little bugger

Took him and charlie (4 yo lab/shorthair) to coffee stand 2x in pickup....coffee girls LOVE puppies.  If I knew that when I was single!  Both boys get treats.  3rd time took both to the dump in the old KW 900 dumptruck.  Got to scale to pay and the little stinker was hanging out window looking for a treat from the scale gal.  Then the big one is in my lap drooling on the puppy wanting his!  Girls were laughing it up

20231125_151713.jpg

• Haha 5