The Dog Thread

KWRB

On 11/12/2023 at 8:24 AM, TroyDairy said:

There is a intact male black lab in the area that the owner wont manage.  And somehow has eluded many 22 shots I hear.  This spring he bred at least 5 dogs in the 5 mile radius.  This is the farthest family away.  Iiirc mom is kenneled in the evenings but he snuck in somewhere.  Kids say boxer/pitbull?/shepard mutt is the mom.  Then the Lab dad.  So 100% pure mutt.  Which I prefer... they have always been best dogs for us really.  Next week i guess we get him.  Names are being bebated.  I like old names like Karl, Ken, and Larry etc.  They have some goofy ones that will only lead to skinny jeans and frappachinos at noon I'm concerned.  Biscut, Cutie, etc.

We have Walter and Burrito and claire the around the house cats and Charlie the dog so far.  Weve had Norm and Cliff so I think Sam is next (who knows that theme? )

I'm also partial to real names.

I heard years ago that a dog should have a two syllable name, so they can differentiate their name from commands, which are usually one syllable. I have no idea if there's any truth to it, but it stuck with me all these years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KWRB said:

I heard years ago that a dog should have a two syllable name, so they can differentiate their name from commands, which are usually one syllable. I have no idea if there's any truth to it, but it stuck with me all these years.

Just don't give him your last name. Your neighbors will think you are crazy. Don't ask how I know 

• Haha 3

....the Canterbury    Agricultural and Pastural    Show was held last week in Canterbury...(.South Island   )   It is the premier farming show in NZ...the 160 th held...so it goes back into another long gone era...

It is a big event , with all facets of farming on display...plus the usual peripheral   stuff like Ferris wheels   /tractor pulls / vintage tractors  /vintage farming Folk  / thousands of kids   /every type of animal  '/ a competition  for the biggest set of ''testicles''   ( phrased politely for the purpose of the show... )  in ...or ''hanging ''  perhaps, from any stud pig   and so on ...

But a new event this year was a "Terrier''    race......over 200 meters, with a horse dragging a dead bouncing rabbit...this to induce the terriers to chase   the rabbit. Evidently it was quite  hilarious to watch.....

some of the contestants

second picture is "'Lux''  ..the winner !

Mike  

9Tzi8ywRz924XE3uHaD6DZ3Ef+Iterrie race.jpg

9Tzi8ywRz924XE3uHaD6DZ3Ef  lux the winner.jpg

• Like 9

We had to say goodbye to our old German Shepherd Zeus tonight. I couldn't do it and a neighbor graciously came and put him down. His hips gave out and he was unable to walk tonight. He was a good dog and will be missed. A sad night at our house.

20230625_204258.jpg.65f4d63b645f04081fe6fc49f6e9d1f3.jpg

• Sad 12

On 11/16/2023 at 8:31 PM, KWRB said:

I agree, they roll off the tongue better anyway. We struggle to name females, males are no issue at all. We settled in Jinx with this one, but nobody really likes it. It just stuck. 

image.jpg

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I agree, they roll off the tongue better anyway. We struggle to name females, males are no issue at all. We settled in Jinx with this one, but nobody really likes it. It just stuck. 

image.jpg

...not sure if I haven't mentioned this before..but one of the Stations south of here had a young Irish  shepherd, named Tom.....Being Irish...good buggars but slightly eccentric, he named his two working sheep dogs  "Dick" and "Harry ""

....always caused much amusement at the Station...especially when yarding big mobs......

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

46 minutes ago, lotsaIHCs said:

We had to say goodbye to our old German Shepherd Zeus tonight. I couldn't do it and a neighbor graciously came and put him down. His hips gave out and he was unable to walk tonight. He was a good dog and will be missed. A sad night at our house.

...never easy....always tears in the house after that inevitable end to a much loved   ol' hound......

...obviously 'Zeus " had a good life with you folk...those pets become part of the family....

Mike

• Like 5

3 hours ago, lotsaIHCs said:

Very sorry to hear

You did the right thing to ease his pain but if there is something harder, I don't know what it is.

A final act of love to try and repay the love he gave you.

My thoughts and prayers are with you tonight.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, lotsaIHCs said:

I am very sorry for your loss. It is an almost unbearable experience. Will keep you in thoughts and prayers. 

• Like 3

On 11/20/2023 at 9:57 PM, lotsaIHCs said:

We had to say goodbye to our old German Shepherd Zeus tonight

So sorry for your loss. We all know they are “just” dogs, but they sure fill a big part of our hearts!!

• Like 4

On 11/20/2023 at 10:57 PM, lotsaIHCs said:

I'm sorry buddy. I'm real sorry. Everyone should be so fortunate as to have a dog for a long time. I don't have to ask, to know your life is better for having had him.

• Like 4

You guys have my best. The loss ain't an easy one, but there's just healing from here on out.

Mike

• Like 5

So sorry to hear this!! After putting down our German shepherd husky Willow, about this time last year, I feel your pain!! It’s amazing how many tears we shed over an animal! I still miss Willow, but our new dog Jovie has definitely filled that void of Willow! 

• Like 3

These 2 are something, my grandfather used to say “one boy is a whole boy, 2 boys is half a boy and 3 boys is no boy at all” meaning there wasn’t much thinking going on as the boys involved increased. Well, the more springers you have the less each one thinks. They share brain amongst themselves. 
Ellie and Quigley 

IMG_2961.jpeg

• Like 6