Fixin some stuff in the shop

Just finished a TA in a 1466,  Have one to do in a 966 a 1066 and a 400.   Lots of red        The interesting thing on the 1066 is that someone resurfaced the flywheel.  The clutch surface is true the the pressure plate mounting flange was machined a few  thousands off.     That made the PP wobble, that wore out the PP PTO drive spline, The IPTO shaft and gear  AND ruined the TA.    

SHOP TRANSMISSION 1.jpg

• Like 5

The tractor in back is going to be sheeted as a 5088,  The differential is originally a 1206, although it has the lighter bull gears .    A 400 series engine, Hope to be somewhere north of 1100hp.  The trans is a Atlis twin countershaft 5 speed.

THUMPER PHOTOS 005.jpg

THUMPER PHOTOS 007.jpg

THUMPER PHOTOS 011.jpg

THUMPER PHOTOS 019.jpg

• Like 2

Well thats something I never thought about. Might find me checking flywheels a little closer now. My cab 1466 got a clutch problem going on. Just replaced it a couple years ago or so. It wont release part of the time and part of the time it will. Kind of annoying on the brush cutter.

Wheelie bars look nice

14 hours ago, metamora farmall said:

Glad to see you back Gonzo. Looking great on the puller. You will be able to do TA's in your sleep. Please keep the pictures coming.

I usually do 3-4 hydraulic TA each winter,   The last two years I may have done one.    

13 hours ago, metamora farmall said:

Sounds like they gave you a break from them the last 2 yrs. Now it's back to normal.

Yes,,,   The boss gave me some time off. as he did with the floor sweeper, the book keeper. the person that answers the phone. the one that mows the lawn.   

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, highcotton said:

Gonzo- You mind giving a little info on the construction of those brackets you have bolted to those clutch housings? 

Because I do so many hydraulic TAs I needed a better way to handle them.   I fiddled with the bracket for a day and came up with that design. Simply a flat plate that bolts to the 4- 1/2 inch threaded holes in the top of the clutch housing.  I made 4-5 of them,, have three in my shop, and a couple have been sold to others.    It works good for me.  Easy to balance and MUCH easier to install the transmission back in the tractor. 

• Like 2

I do a good many mechanical TA’s on 656, 66, and 86 tractors around here. We still run a good many of them. I may have to rig one of those up myself- never thought of that design. You think those clutch housings would balance OK on a similar bracket?

If I did more mechanical TAs I would build the same lifting bracket for the Ms through 450s     It should work just as good on the lighter transmission. 

I wish I could be there..   But the green tractor has a hole in a piston,  the RED one is about 2 years  (and many $$$$S) away from moving under its own power   My 666 and 1066 pullers are only 1/4 the horsepower needed to compete there.    The 666 is supposed to be relocating to a new home in Iowa.

3 hours ago, Allen Ulmer said:

Why's that bull gear so heavy?! 😜

IMG_20160412_214544337_HDR.jpg

That is exactly how I wanted my bull gears to look.. BUT instead  of shaving off weight I shaved DOLLARS off of the build!!

• Haha 2

What kind of HYD TA's you using Gonzo ? We have had a rash here of ones not holding up . My 756 /Cummins Repower needs one and I want to only do it once...

4 hours ago, gonzo 1066 said:

That is exactly how I wanted my bull gears to look.. BUT instead  of shaving off weight I shaved DOLLARS off of the build!!

Are those new made for pulling tractors or just machined original gears?

On 1/20/2019 at 3:44 PM, gonzo 1066 said:

Because I do so many hydraulic TAs I needed a better way to handle them.   I fiddled with the bracket for a day and came up with that design. Simply a flat plate that bolts to the 4- 1/2 inch threaded holes in the top of the clutch housing.  I made 4-5 of them,, have three in my shop, and a couple have been sold to others.    It works good for me.  Easy to balance and MUCH easier to install the transmission back in the tractor. 

Yes I use the same style bracket and makes it easy to pick up and move.

6 hours ago, Gleaner k2 said:

Are those new made for pulling tractors or just machined original gears?

I would guess that those are originals that are machined.  I believe Allen does that in shop and offers that service.  Should have done that when I built my 7700lb.