257 Bulbs Getting Hard to Come By

I noticed today I was down to 3 of the 257 flashing bulbs that are used in the 06 56 series clusters and lube lights on most 06 to 66 series. I called 3 auto parts places and they told me they are discontinued. I believe CNH still has them, but you know me, I can always find them cheaper!😜

I googled 257 bulb and came up with a website called Bulb Town. They had them listed for 57 cents each. I called there and the lady said they had hundreds of them. I said "Are you sure these are the flashing bulbs. " Since they are very similar to the 1895's that don't flash. She said she didn't think they did. I asked her to test one and she came back and said "By golly they flash." "I never knew that they did. " So I got 50 on the way. That should last a while! 

http://www.bulbtown.com/257_Miniature_Bulb_Ba9S_Base_p/b257.htm

One of the websites was a Corvette part place. Apparently some of the early Corvettes used them for a park brake warning lamp. They were selling for over $20 each!!! But if you have a Corvette, I guess that's a bargain! 

This one's only $14.99! 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Original-63-64-65-66-Corvette-GE-257-Flashing-Bulb-427-NCRS-Fuel-Injection-/141957349645

• Confused 1

The original dummy lights for oil, amp and hydraulic/TA pressure light all used the 257 flasher bulb.

You will see a little bar come up from the base.

That gets hot, breaks the connection, cools and reattaches,  Thus you have a flasher bulb.

Once you see one, you can spot it right away.

A great find for those at a reasonable price.

10 hours ago, tractorholic said:

You are saying the idiot lites in the dash are supposed  to flash? I know they do not on my 706. For some reason I think one of them might on my 756. I will have to check

Didnt know this either! My 80y was just red! I remember the light on our 1066 when it first come would flash then it quit for years so i put a new bulb in now its just red! Guess i need the right bulbs

We use to make them in Cleveland , thanks for posting ,I totally forgot about it , same design as Christmas light flashers. 

But they made 3000 different sku’s at that one plant ,every machine had a build sheet with lamp data on it. So you knew what was going on that day ,you looked at build sheets, and go on 

Gosh that seems like a century ago 😂👍🏿👀

<<Mr. Clueless here>>

I've got this 1066 with virtually NO dash lights, warning lights or even a cup holder.

I thought the red warning light was a red cover (what you see when you're sitting there) with a built in bulb..... in other words, the whole ensemble is the warning light.

I see replacement bulbs for the various gauges on the dash...  THOSE might look like this but I can't imagine any of those flashing.

Does the 1066 use this type bulb anywhere?

Reason I'm asking is I'm highly debating on getting a new wiring harness and replumbing it ...slap new bulbs in and get the running lights, dash lights, gauges plus warning lights working.  If I did that, would I need one/some of these flashers?

The only place a 66 series uses the flasher bulb  is the hydraulic lube warning light, just below the key switch. The bulb comes out of the socket by removing the socket from the lens assembly. The rest of the gauges use 1895 bulbs. 

• Thanks 1

These online 257 bulbs are Chinese junk. Just the vibration of the tractor causes the filament to break. I tried a few when I was searching. Every single one of them quit within couple days. I got lucky and bought a box of 100 original GE NOS bulbs from the 60's and 70's from a Chevrolet dealership closeout. Do not waste your money on those new bulbs. I will only use GE or Phillips old bulbs.

On 1/19/2019 at 11:33 AM, FarmerFixEmUp said:

The only place a 66 series uses the flasher bulb  is the hydraulic lube warning light, just below the key switch. The bulb comes out of the socket by removing the socket from the lens assembly.

Question if this is the one on the lower right side of the dash on a 1066, used for adjusting the hydraulic pressure when fiddling with the clutch...  does the red cover come off or do you have to gain access through the back side (removing a panel somewhere)

Stopped by tractor today as I was out on the backhoe & tried to remove the red cover....  it wasn't budging which suggests to me it's rear entry.  (not a huge issue as I intend to replace other bulbs in there so will be getting back inside the dash)

I was trying to satisfy my curiosity on how to remove it and was thwarted so merrily went on my way.

53 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Question if this is the one on the lower right side of the dash on a 1066, used for adjusting the hydraulic pressure when fiddling with the clutch...  does the red cover come off or do you have to gain access through the back side (removing a panel somewhere)

Stopped by tractor today as I was out on the backhoe & tried to remove the red cover....  it wasn't budging which suggests to me it's rear entry.  (not a huge issue as I intend to replace other bulbs in there so will be getting back inside the dash)

I was trying to satisfy my curiosity on how to remove it and was thwarted so merrily went on my way.

You have to hold on to the backside while removing the frontside....

Travis

9 minutes ago, fspring said:

Napa has 257 bulbs

I've noticed the same thing when I looked them up on napaonline, but I'm not so sure.  I'm curious if they actually do flash and if they are worth a damn.

Travis

On 1/20/2019 at 4:52 PM, Sparky said:

You have to hold on to the backside while removing the frontside....

Not an argument, but more a comment of confusion...

Other day, I stopped at tractor.  Yeah it was cold so my fingers weren't 100% but it wasn't THAT cold.  I was totally unable to move/budge, unthread, unsnap the red cover which leads me to presume it's somehow fastened from the rear?  (much like the key has the threaded portion behind the dash to hold the assembly)

??

I know I'm going to take the dash apart again so I'll find out in due time....I am just choosing to ignore it right now until it warms up.  (don't like working outside in cold if I don't need to....since we have no shed to break the wind, I wait!)

Those lights can be a pain i believe, if its same light as 826. Wont come apart until you do it just right. Nothing threaded iirc. Been years since i had mine out so cant recall exactly but as said there was something about holding back and front at same time, maybe push one half in and 1/4 twist? There is a trick to it but once you get it , its easy.