Here is a few pics of the old girl working in the bush, works pretty good considering its age, any ideas as to why it likes to track to the left, have backed off the brake on the left  side twice with little to no change as far as the tracking goes, not sure what else might cause it to track to the left ,wheel bearings seemed ok when i had some tires replaced earlier last fall , any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Gerald

20190116_123241.jpg

20190116_123232.jpg

20190115_154510.jpg

• Like 1

That's the first one I have seen in running and working condition !

Thanks for sharing

Are tires the same size ?

On 1/18/2019 at 7:35 AM, acbjohn said:

If the left side clutch is slipping that would cause it.  When were they last rebuilt?

On 1/18/2019 at 7:35 AM, acbjohn said:

If the left side clutch is slipping that would cause it.  When were they last rebuilt?

Not sure picked it up last fall, unit does  seem to turn really well, maybe  I will  try and make a  adjustment  on the clutch linkage  to see if that helps. Thanks Gerald 

On 1/17/2019 at 4:47 PM, Kevingweq said:

That's the first one I have seen in running and working condition !

Thanks for sharing

Are tires the same size ?

I think Kevin was specifically thinking about the diameter or circumference of the rear tires. If one was larger than the other the machine would turn away from the larger one.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Old iron said:

The rears are both the same, originals by the looks of it. 

Equal pressure ??

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, sspdiesel said:

Does it ride nice because of the tires ? Never saw one , where did you find it ?

Lol it doesn't ride real smooth on hard surfaces, seems pretty good in the snow,  fairly aggressive cleats on the tracks,found up in the Bruce peninsula  Ontario Canada.

you will not find with IH #  try any older diesel shop they are simply by size as that would be too old for sandwich or composite

$.50 ea   danny  / injp should have .....  2 per line? cav with bd 144/154 ?

Anyone have a part number for the copper gaskets for the injector pump lines where they attach to the injector pump, one of the lines are leaking and I would like to have a few on hand if possible. Thanks Gerald

7 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

super duper

thanks for sharing

I know I would appreciate some pics of undercarriage, from different angles to see how all the stuff works together etc.

I'll  try to get a few next time I'm out to my property.

The steering clutches are spring applied.  If you have a broken spring(s) or worn fiber disks, it will slip.  If it steers OK, then they are releasing correctly.  If you go to the trouble of pulling one to rebuild it, pull them both and install new fibers and steel disks from www.steeringclutch.com.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2019 at 10:07 AM, nomorejohndeere said:

super duper

thanks for sharing

I know I would appreciate some pics of undercarriage, from different angles to see how all the stuff works together etc.

Here is a couple pics that I took, I have the rear drive wheels off getting replaced.

20190323_173255.jpg

20190323_173245.jpg

20190323_173336.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2019 at 7:35 PM, Old iron said:

Anyone have a part number for the copper gaskets for the injector pump lines where they attach to the injector pump, one of the lines are leaking and I would like to have a few on hand if possible. Thanks Gerald

Still available  CaseIH  part# 9961206

Provided your steering clutches are adjusted properly and aren't slipping, I can't help but think that your steering problem is directly related to the size of the drive tyres. I'm guessing that the left drive tyre is a smaller diameter than the one on the right. Use a tape to get an accurate measurement of the circumference of each drive tyre. Please let us know what the results are.

The tires are seriously beat up but the way the track drive works is a bar that fits into the crosscut on the tire, both tires are original so this dimension should be the same on both sides, I am replacing the tires because the rubber is literally coming off in chunks  but I did find the cleats on the tracks are not the same height, it looks like the right side were built up at one time and not the left, I have the tracks off and at a welding shop getting evened up, I am thinking this is the main reason it was tracking poorly. Will hopefully soon find out.

1 hour ago, jeffrob said:

Provided your steering clutches are adjusted properly and aren't slipping, I can't help but think that your steering problem is directly related to the size of the drive tyres. I'm guessing that the left drive tyre is a smaller diameter than the one on the right. Use a tape to get an accurate measurement of the circumference of each drive tyre. Please let us know what the results are.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have had a TC5 and a TDC5. Still have the diesel. I traded off the first one to a buddy for a Bobcat knowing I could get the TDC5. Did steering clutches brakes and winch on the first one. I will do the same on the one I have. The clutch issues on the first one was caused by not keeping the steering clutches and brakes adjusted as they should and then doing a patch up job on repairing them. By the way you do not have to remove the rear drive wheels to do clutches. Just jack up the back and turn the wheel till the large hole in the wheel (folks are always asking me what that big hole in the wheel is for) with the pinion cap on the final drive, screw a long bolt in the end of the shaft and pull it out. There is a trust washer in back of the pinion gear that should stay in place or it may drop down onto the shaft and come out with the shaft when you pull it. IF you happen to drop that bushing down into the final drive you will have to take the final drive apart to get it out. Unless you are having a real lucky day. I am lucky enough to have all the manuals for this machine and know how to read. I know manuals are sometimes hard to find and they will cost you some money but if you don't have them it makes life hard. That track system is a copy or maybe IH built them under license. They are the same as a Scandinavian design used on a Bamse skidder and Oliver crawlers in Scandinavia back in the 50's. Owning a TC5 has been on my bucket list since I was in high school and saw a brand new one. It was love at first sight. 🤩

Edited by Svart Ole
add comment
  • Like 1