cage nuts for 1066 hoods

looking for the correct cage nuts that the hood bolts go into, got some from case -ih just a liitle to big but made work ground the nut down a bit so I could squeeze the cage in, looked in steiners book, they offer the same cage nuts for everything, the old ones have the 4 tabs on, can you even get the right ones anymore? did try Fastenal today they are going to order some to see if they could be right, it takes a cage nut that will let a 5-16s  bolt screw into it. thanks

48 minutes ago, superih said:

Not sure which ones you need but McMaster Carr had exactly what I needed for my 5488

The 88's will have metric cage nuts. I just got 20 off ebay for around $10. I got the 5/16 from Fastenal before. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20pcs-M8-x-1-25mm-Yellow-Zinc-Plated-Square-Cage-Floating-Nuts-for-Computer-Case/391467304380?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

that model may be slightly different  1 size larger?

but '54-64 definitely requires 4 tabs and 4 (sides to the nut) IIRC 5/16-18 and 3/8-24

if your tin is worn or sets out side the new ones are going to fail soon china %^$&*(() !!!!

have contacted all MFG and even offered to buy several hours (an entire crate)  as robots could make several 100K in a shift

at least $10K order vs what the junk costs ....some charge $1 ea but the nut is wrong and soon spins out

9 minutes ago, Long Farms said:

Those 2 sided cage nuts are garbage. I have yet to find a source for 4 sides cage nuts other than pulling them at salvage yards. 

Exactualy what I figured out. 

8 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

The ones they gave me at the dealer for my 5288 last time were standard threads. so now you have to keep track of the bolts that came out of each hole. About ready to just replace all of them.

1 hour ago, 1967806 said:

The ones they gave me at the dealer for my 5288 last time were standard threads. so now you have to keep track of the bolts that came out of each hole. About ready to just replace all of them.

I replaced all of mine with standard thread, also bought flanged headed bolts, works really well now.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Those are in this catalog.  If your a bit crafty you can start with these.   I used some on my 560 when I restored it .CABA571D-8D72-4C81-9572-97C4633E0FB9.thumb.jpeg.20a74157f9b3177e5690050c51da1ff7.jpeg

Forget about what’s in the catalog, what’s behind the catalog?? 🧐🤔

2 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Those are in this catalog.  If your a bit crafty you can start with these.   I used some on my 560 when I restored it .CABA571D-8D72-4C81-9572-97C4633E0FB9.thumb.jpeg.20a74157f9b3177e5690050c51da1ff7.jpeg

Lorenzo buddy I ain't been on here long but from what I've seen you got all kinds of neat stuff

22 hours ago, superih said:

I replaced all of mine with standard thread, also bought flanged headed bolts, works really well now.

I prefer using flange bolts with rubber washers. The rubber washer protects the paint. I get them at Fastenal. I buy the stainless steel flange bolts.

Boog, are those hood bolts 5/16" X 18 X3/4".I'm from Mi. and I now spend my winter months in FL. so I can't go out to the barn an look.I like the idea of the rubber washers. Also do you know the size of the nuts on the exhaust manifold? I believe they are 3/8"X 18. This is on a 826 ,358 motor. I would like to get some brass nuts for the studs on the exhaust manifold.Thanks for any help.