706 turbo recommendation

7 hours ago, Cooter said:

I haven't had much luck with used turbos 😟  I found if they are sitting some place, they are probably there for a reason.

Like I said, I've looked for a few years now and haven't seen any.  I find about one a year to fit an 806/856, but no 706 with a 282.

So a T04 9096 is the number I am looking for?  At this point I will probably end up at a turbo shop and buying new.  Everything else is new on this tractor, might as well have a new turbo too.

That’s what Zub recommended for me. Just give him a call. He has good prices and very knowledgeable. If nothing else pick his brain about what will work for you. The main reason I went with rotomaster is because they don’t require a core. Saved me another $200 I think or more. I’d never heard of them but he said he’s been selling them for years with no issues. 

The 301 was a Gas engine found in a 766 (Gas) or 715 Combine & other self Propelled Equipment,  And the D-301 was a Diesel Version of this same engine Family,      Cooters,  706 engine is a 301 Diesel Engine removed from a parted out 715,   He removed the original 706 gas engine and bolted in a Diesel engine,      A few different parts had to be modified,   But a clean swap.   Jim Droscha  

3 minutes ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

the D-301 was a Diesel Version of this same engine Family,      Cooters,  706 engine is a 301 Diesel Engine removed from a parted out 715,   

Well there you go, I didn't know the D-301 was made.

3 hours ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

Cooters,  706 engine is a 301 Diesel Engine removed from a parted out 715

Is this the 706 that he pulled out of the trees and still ran after being parked for all those years? I remember a post about that from a few years back and was thinking it was his.

4 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

Some had different intake and exhaust housings. They could change compressor speed and move more or less air. 

I get that, but do the number changes have a relationship with parts I guess what I am trying to say..............for example 9096 was mentioned, if you went to the next number up, what changes?

6 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Is this the 706 that he pulled out of the trees and still ran after being parked for all those years? I remember a post about that from a few years back and was thinking it was his.

Yes,   We used this Tractor today,  "Cooter" has some great glow plugs & powerful battery's in this tractor "A couple Revolutions" of the starter and this thing is a smooth  running tractor,  even in cold weather.     The gas engine ran "OK" ,  He put a few very light use hours, on the engine,  after he dragged it out of the Fallen tree pile & cleaned the gas tank,  replaced points and other things that would make it run.

I have forgotten what he hooked the drawbar to,  but the head gasket burnt between cylinders,  under a load.    This 301 Diesel in the tractor is very economical ,  Racking hay or put it on a hay tedder,  operate this tractor a "PTO" speed or lower "RPMS" and you can get 35 to 40 Hrs. per tank of fuel.  And its easy to drive.       

You have a good memory,     When we think back at how many "Years" we drove past that clump of fallen trees & Wild Grape vines,  so close to the road,    and here was that "706" Hiding, with faded paint and small plants growing through drawbar holes & steps,  It was destine to be lost to a pile of rust.   I'm  glade "Cooter" saved it.       Jim Droscha

11 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

I get that, but do the number changes have a relationship with parts I guess what I am trying to say..............for example 9096 was mentioned, if you went to the next number up, what changes?

I guess I've never got into that. I usually just replace the turbo with the same model it had before. I know some guys who play around with different housings to get more boost etc. 

12 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Yup, it is; I've dubbed it the Fence Row Special.  It burns about 3-4 gph round baling or cutting hay with a 12' MacDon at 7 mph, so I really can't complain.  But, it would be nice to have it not smoke.

This is what I found for a turbo:  XT-190 turbo   Another with a better price Allis 301 turbo and USA made.  I'm always nervous ordering online, BUT the turbo shops are ordering it from some where too.  I doubt that anyone in my area is casting and machining turbo parts, so maybe these aren't so bad. That looks pretty universal  and with the bolt on exhaust flanges I can pretty much fab up a pipe to exit in the right spot.  I got a new Rayjay TO4 with my 806 kit and the receipt said it was almost $800, so these seem like a good deal, are these eBay specials a good deal?  

7 hours ago, Cooter said:

Yup, it is; I've dubbed it the Fence Row Special.  It burns about 3-4 gph round baling or cutting hay with a 12' MacDon at 7 mph, so I really can't complain.  But, it would be nice to have it not smoke.

This is what I found for a turbo:  XT-190 turbo   Another with a better price Allis 301 turbo and USA made.  I'm always nervous ordering online, BUT the turbo shops are ordering it from some where too.  I doubt that anyone in my area is casting and machining turbo parts, so maybe these aren't so bad. That looks pretty universal  and with the bolt on exhaust flanges I can pretty much fab up a pipe to exit in the right spot.  I got a new Rayjay TO4 with my 806 kit and the receipt said it was almost $800, so these seem like a good deal, are these eBay specials a good deal?  

I'm sure you checked this place out, right?

http://genuinediesel.com/search/International Harvestor/706/T-14/

12 hours ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

You have a good memory, 

Thank you for the compliment.

I remember reading the post thinking you lucky dogs. I wouldn't be so lucky to find something like that in that type of condition. I also seem to remember that you're his father-in-law. Am i correct? I know there is some relation between you 2.

The other thing that has always stuck out in my mind is that you guys are from the Charlotte area which isn't to far from where i live. 

12 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

I remember reading the post thinking you lucky dogs. I wouldn't be so lucky to find something like that in that type of condition. I also seem to remember that you're his father-in-law. Am i correct? I know there is some relation between you 2.

The other thing that has always stuck out in my mind is that you guys are from the Charlotte area which isn't to far from where i live. 

Father and son.

On 1/17/2019 at 8:15 AM, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

The 301 was a Gas engine found in a 766 (Gas) or 715 Combine & other self Propelled Equipment,  And the D-301 was a Diesel Version of this same engine Family,      Cooters,  706 engine is a 301 Diesel Engine removed from a parted out 715,   He removed the original 706 gas engine and bolted in a Diesel engine,      A few different parts had to be modified,   But a clean swap.   Jim Droscha  

The C301 was installed in 806 and 856 gas tractors among other things. Unless it was a swap-in from a combine the 766 would normally have the C291.

The 221, 263, 291, 301 gas, and 282 and 301 diesel are all the same basic block design. In fact not that long ago someone on this forum put a gas distributor in their D282 for the tachometer drive, they're that closely related.

On 1/18/2019 at 8:09 AM, Reichow7120 said:

They are out there setting in the weeds, some times you just have to keep looking.  I haven't ever come across anything rare that anyone wanted to sell.  Some where in south western corner of MI is a cluster of 14 & 1568 tractors setting off the side of an M-road; can see them a clear as day.  I posted a thread about them, with pictures, several years back and someone on here chimed in that he new the guy who owned them.  AND, sure enough they weren't for sale because they made of 14K gold and he was going to restore them 😒  I kind of wonder if they are still setting there.

Where are you at?

On 1/18/2019 at 8:29 PM, jass1660 said:

Father and son.

That is correct.

On 1/19/2019 at 1:36 PM, Matt Kirsch said:

The C301 was installed in 806 and 856 gas tractors among other things. Unless it was a swap-in from a combine the 766 would normally have the C291.

The 221, 263, 291, 301 gas, and 282 and 301 diesel are all the same basic block design. In fact not that long ago someone on this forum put a gas distributor in their D282 for the tachometer drive, they're that closely related.

This was a donor engine from a really low houred 715; it was sad they cut it up 😔.  And it was this tractor/engine that I put the distributor out of the gas engine in for a short time to run the tach because I didn't understand the casting that held it twisted out of the block to make room for the diesel tach drive.  The distributor or tach drive is also the upper bushing for the oil pump, so in the combines they put the base of the distributor in the block to do the job and filled the hole with a soft plug.

I didn't realize that this tractor was famous and caught so many peoples attention.  It's been in several posts over the past couple of years and I never thought folks would remember it. 😁😁

1 hour ago, Cooter said:

Where are you at?

Albion. We're on the county line between Calhoun and Jackson Counties.