706 turbo recommendation

Cooter

I have put a new head with new hardened seats on with a Victor headgasket, and ARP studs, so it's been prepped for the turbo.  We use this for hay and need a squirt more power from time to time.  I have a new pump that has been set to 30% over stock, so now I need to clean up the smoke.  I have been talked out of using my T-604 and factory manifold for my 706 with the D-301 for fear of destroying a piece of IH history - which I would agree with.  I have been looking for over 2 years for an M&W turbo to fit the 282/301 but have not had any luck locating one; SO, I guess I am going to have to fab a setup of my own.  What would be a recommended turbo size?  

7 hours ago, Cooter said:

What would be a recommended turbo size?  

None at all.

If you need a "touch more power" get an 806, or better yet a turbo tractor.  I don't understand what you would be running putting up hay that a 706 diesel would be underpowered.  We do hay with a 826 hydro diesel.  No power complaints on it at all.

I agree with Nebraska 1206. I used one of them on a 560 diesel once. They said it came off an Allis Chalmers tractor. Maybe a 190? 

1 hour ago, J-Mech said:

None at all.

If you need a "touch more power" get an 806, or better yet a turbo tractor.  I don't understand what you would be running putting up hay that a 706 diesel would be underpowered.  We do hay with a 826 hydro diesel.  No power complaints on it at all.

A 282 to a 358 is quite a jump in cubes. I have a 706 diesel with the 282 and had a 826 previously. It's probably a 20 HP difference stock. 

3 hours ago, Nebraska1206 said:

Spencer Diesel has a turbo listed on their website, as a replacement option for T-604 turbo, looks like a version of TO4 turbo.

Spencer Diesel 560 turbo

Would a T-04 be to big for a 301?  That is what is on my 806 as part of the M&W kit, so I wasn't sure if there was enough volume out of a 301 to utilize a turbo that big.

4 hours ago, J-Mech said:

None at all.

Because that's what we're using.

3 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

A 282 to a 358 is quite a jump in cubes. I have a 706 diesel with the 282 and had a 826 previously. It's probably a 20 HP difference stock. 

Not to mention the difference in engine design alone.  Direct injection, higher injection pressure, bigger ports, and valves.

1 hour ago, Cooter said:

Would a T-04 be to big for a 301?  That is what is on my 806 as part of the M&W kit, so I wasn't sure if there was enough volume out of a 301 to utilize a turbo that big.

I believe that turbo has the same specs for a D19 Allis, which is small enough to be well suited to the D282.  The number of TO4 variations is very large!

5 hours ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

There was a 282 706 here, and my grandfather had an 826 at the same time, in reality by this point in time the hp spread is probably even wider than that.

I just stuck one on my 756 that replaced the ray jay. It was for an Allis d 19 I believe. T04 9096 maybe. I dealt with Zub . Forget his business name but someone here will remember. He’s your man to ask. He!! Of a nice guy and knows a bunch. He sold me a rotomaster for a great price and I am happy. The core on a new one will get you if you don’t have it. I didn’t want to turn in my good ray jay.  This was a old post of mine. Call him, you’ll learn something 7790DC8D-B7B2-4589-B82D-56BD58E93BE4.thumb.png.ecc046306145b9867edd53d6af29d29b.png

If there is nothing wrong with your original set up I don't understand why you are keeping it. I think it would be nice to have it on a tractor to get the joy of owning it . Maybe it's just me but that's my thoughts

Cooter,

I have a complete M&W turbo kit for the 706/d282 that I got off of eBay a couple years back.  Before you get too excited I’m not looking to sell it, one of these days I want to stick it on mine.  If you need any help on the what’s what of it, I can send you some pics or whatever. 

12 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

I just stuck one on my 756 that replaced the ray jay. It was for an Allis d 19 I believe. T04 9096 maybe. I dealt with Zub . Forget his business name but someone here will remember. He’s your man to ask. He!! Of a nice guy and knows a bunch. He sold me a rotomaster for a great price and I am happy. The core on a new one will get you if you don’t have it. I didn’t want to turn in my good ray jay.  This was a old post of mine. Call him, you’ll learn something 7790DC8D-B7B2-4589-B82D-56BD58E93BE4.thumb.png.ecc046306145b9867edd53d6af29d29b.png

You must be talking about Central Plains Diesel. LeMars IA. 

19 hours ago, Cooter said:

The 190XT had a 301.   Seems like the best thing about the 190XT was that it made a good donor tractor for turbos.  My 766 had a T04 that also came off a 190XT.

i used a turbo off a 7700 ford on my 706 its been on there for 1200 hrs with no problems 90 some hp. I also used a  turbo from a 190 xt on a 886 with a 360 runs  well 100 ish  hp

On 1/15/2019 at 12:10 AM, Cooter said:

I have put a new head with new hardened seats on with a Victor headgasket, and ARP studs, so it's been prepped for the turbo.  We use this for hay and need a squirt more power from time to time.  I have a new pump that has been set to 30% over stock, so now I need to clean up the smoke.  I have been talked out of using my T-604 and factory manifold for my 706 with the D-301 for fear of destroying a piece of IH history - which I would agree with.  I have been looking for over 2 years for an M&W turbo to fit the 282/301 but have not had any luck locating one; SO, I guess I am going to have to fab a setup of my own.  What would be a recommended turbo size?  

If you can find one for anything you should be able to build from there. I almost gave it a whirl before I found mine. Was having better luck finding one for 806. It’s not a bad job. I used  http://siliconeintakes.com/for my air side hoses. They offered these hump hoses and nice stainless clamps that really help a slight mis alignment on your intake side. It’s a great resource.  I went ahead and put a filter on because it’s should be on there “technically”. It’s not a 282 but I had fun with it and that’s what it’s all about. I know these aren’t your same application but maybe it will help you out 🤷‍♂️This is my 756. My issue here was the new turbo is wider than the old ray jay so you have to modify your pieces some. These hump hoses helped me. I only say this so you know for sure they are wider units 

EFC97AC2-7F10-41C6-B59A-E47AE832CF21.jpeg

C24F9C76-DE77-4368-9770-99C3D2AA9B9D.jpeg

E0F3FB17-45F0-4092-8D1E-C8B060751DB3.jpeg

On 1/15/2019 at 2:07 PM, Nebraska1206 said:

I believe that turbo has the same specs for a D19 Allis, which is small enough to be well suited to the D282.  The number of TO4 variations is very large!

I guess I didn't realize there were variations on the T04, I thought the T04 WAS the size and different size turbos would have a different name.

On 1/15/2019 at 10:17 PM, bitty said:

If there is nothing wrong with your original set up I don't understand why you are keeping it. I think it would be nice to have it on a tractor to get the joy of owning it . Maybe it's just me but that's my thoughts

I don't have a set up that will work, that's why I am looking.  The factory manifold and IH T-604 won't work because it was made for a 560 with a 282 turning 1800 rpm, not a 301 turning 2600; was told it would overspeed and destroy the turbo.

16 hours ago, Steve C. said:

The 190XT had a 301.   Seems like the best thing about the 190XT was that it made a good donor tractor for turbos.  My 766 had a T04 that also came off a 190XT.

I haven't had much luck with used turbos 😟  I found if they are sitting some place, they are probably there for a reason.

On 1/15/2019 at 10:28 PM, TripleFangus said:

Cooter,

I have a complete M&W turbo kit for the 706/d282 that I got off of eBay a couple years back.  Before you get too excited I’m not looking to sell it, one of these days I want to stick it on mine.  If you need any help on the what’s what of it, I can send you some pics or whatever. 

Like I said, I've looked for a few years now and haven't seen any.  I find about one a year to fit an 806/856, but no 706 with a 282.

On 1/15/2019 at 10:12 PM, Missouri Mule said:

I just stuck one on my 756 that replaced the ray jay. It was for an Allis d 19 I believe. T04 9096 maybe. 

So a T04 9096 is the number I am looking for?  At this point I will probably end up at a turbo shop and buying new.  Everything else is new on this tractor, might as well have a new turbo too.

4 minutes ago, Cooter said:

I haven't had much luck with used turbos 😟  I found if they are sitting some place, they are probably there for a reason.

Not sure the AC 301s ran long enough to put much wear on a T04.

3 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

If you can find one for anything you should be able to build from there. I almost gave it a whirl before I found mine. Was having better luck finding one for 806. It’s not a bad job. I used  http://siliconeintakes.com/for my air side hoses. They offered these hump hoses and nice stainless clamps that really help a slight mis alignment on your intake side. It’s a great resource.  I went ahead and put a filter on because it’s should be on there “technically”. It’s not a 282 but I had fun with it and that’s what it’s all about. I know these aren’t your same application but maybe it will help you out 🤷‍♂️This is my 756. My issue here was the new turbo is wider than the old ray jay so you have to modify your pieces some. These hump hoses helped me. I only say this so you know for sure they are wider units 

E0F3FB17-45F0-4092-8D1E-C8B060751DB3.jpeg

I didn't realize how much longer a 310 706/756 is than a 706 with a 282 is.  I know they are longer, but you have a lot more room between the air filter and fuel tank than I do on mine.

Nope, TO4's come in many variations, learned that when I machined the adapters to put one on my 407..............I have a question for any experts here in this, what do the number changes on each TO4 mean?  What changes size on them?  

On 1/15/2019 at 11:58 AM, Cooter said:

If it’s off a Allis 190 they had a 301 motor should work nice 

57 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Nope, TO4's come in many variations, learned that when I machined the adapters to put one on my 407..............I have a question for any experts here in this, what do the number changes on each TO4 mean?  What changes size on them?  

Some had different intake and exhaust housings. They could change compressor speed and move more or less air. 

Archived