Sign in to follow this  

Anyone else see this new Ford commercial?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dXta/ford-built-ford-tough-song-by-jerry-reed-t1

I like the older pickups in it. Cant figure out if they were in Smokey and the Bandit? Also Dont know what the signifigance of the chef statue holding the burger is or the donut on the one trailer?

• Like 1

That statue is the “Big Boy” from the restaurant of the same name. There is one about 100 miles from me. Good food. 

• Like 1

That’s my favorite commercial 

• Like 1

Isn't the Big Boy and Shonys the same restaurant? I think I misspelled Shonys.

2 minutes ago, MarkG said:

Isn't the Big Boy and Shonys the same restaurant? I think I misspelled Shonys.

I’m not sure. I thought it was a spin off of the Jerry’s restaurants that were first known as “Jerry’s Big Boy”. I could be way off on that info though. 

1 minute ago, 12_Guy said:

Around here they are Frisch's Big Boy...

I have eaten at one in Corydon IN several years ago. 

Thanks for setting me straight!

that is one commercial that caught my eye, and I even remembered what product it was advertising. (unlike most ads)

6 hours ago, Cool1566 said:

I’m not sure. I thought it was a spin off of the Jerry’s restaurants that were first known as “Jerry’s Big Boy”. I could be way off on that info though. 

No. Two different things, Big Boy and Shoneys.   My experience is that Big Boy food is cheap and doesn’t have much flavor.  My favorite is when it says “professional drivers on a closed course do not attempt” so don’t haul anything on a trailer with a truck in moderate traffic.  Sure I’m not going to find that anywhere.  

Used to be one of those restaurants in South Bend, but it went by Azar's Fort Wayne was Frisch's ,had good food.  But the commercial is good regardless. One of the better truck commercials on the tube. Just like the older Fords. 

The Big Boy statue and the giant donut are "Iconic American Things." Like Ford trucks. That's their significance in the commercial.

• Like 1

There's a longer version, 60 seconds long that shows more of the vintage trucks.

The volume gets turned up here when that commercial comes on.

I DARE Chevy to stop their stupid commercials and make one similar to this!

• Like 2

The song is by Jerry Reed and is the theme song to Smoky and the Bandit.

Just watched some of it last night. Jerry was also the truck driver in the show, with his dog, Fred.

You kids need to watch some of these historic old movies and see what we got to play with years ago.

Before big government, disclaimers on commercials and pollution laws ruined all the fun. 

If you want a Big Boy statue, there are several for sale at the Barrett-Jackson auction in Scottsdale!

In Northern California in 1970, the chain was BOB's BIG BOY.

Bob's Big Boy I believe a drive in with car hopes back in the day. I think only way back Calif back in the beginning. I remember them in the San Joaquin valley up and down rt 99 in the 60's. We never stopped at a restaurant in those days as going to family gatherings with food 3 to 4 hours from home.

In latter days Bob's went much bigger. With the corporate takes overs and buy outs I have no idea who they might have been partnered with. I think political correctness was part of there down fall. Trying to loose the fat boy image. Maybe they did so good under another name it is still going but not here. There was one local  I cannot remember if Bob's built it or took it over from some other broke chain. It was good for a chain kind of place but nothing special.

As for the Ford part good to see the older models mixed in as well as vintage music.

13 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

The song is by Jerry Reed and is the theme song to Smoky and the Bandit.

Just watched some of it last night. Jerry was also the truck driver in the show, with his dog, Fred.

You kids need to watch some of these historic old movies and see what we got to play with years ago.

Before big government, disclaimers on commercials and pollution laws ruined all the fun. 

Hey that’s probably my favorite movie.  I must have seen it 70 times.  The snowman and Fred are one of the best duos of all time

Bob's Pantry in Glendale, CA was the original restaurant and the Big Boy hamburger was created in response to a request for "something different."  The restaurant grew into a local chain of drive-ins that became Bob's Big Boy and eventually the concept was franchised.  Dave Frisch was the first, but there were many such as Shoneys (which became the largest franchisee) and Elias Brothers. Wikipedia lists 34 of them so whoever you remember is likely correct for your area.

Great commercial for once. Gotta love a Ford and for sure Smokey and the Bandit. I don't consider myself young, but my kids all know that movie by heart, every line, as do I. Just aren't any classics like that one anymore.

17 minutes ago, Howard_P said:

Bob's Pantry in Glendale, CA was the original restaurant and the Big Boy hamburger was created in response to a request for "something different."  The restaurant grew into a local chain of drive-ins that became Bob's Big Boy and eventually the concept was franchised.  Dave Frisch was the first, but there were many such as Shoneys (which became the largest franchisee) and Elias Brothers. Wikipedia lists 34 of them so whoever you remember is likely correct for your area.

We had the Big Boy here as Elby's restaurant.  Ate there many a times.

19 minutes ago, Ihcubguy said:

We had the Big Boy here as Elby's restaurant.  Ate there many a times.

Boy, I haven't heard anyone mention Elby's in a long time!

40 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Boy, I haven't heard anyone mention Elby's in a long time!

Been quite a while since they've been around.

I remember Smokey and the Bandit movie when it was new. That song by Jerry Reed was on the top played list on country stations every day. Love the old Ford trucks. Back when they made a box that could carry a decent load. Today's trucks can't do it with the puny little square boxes and have to pull a trailer to haul anything of consequence. 

Better than the new Chevy tailgate commercial 

Thumbs up!