Sign in to follow this  
fudwayne

IH Refrigerator Shipping Crate

I just got this 1949 International Refrigerator shipping crate--4 sides of cardboard with wood frame around the outside.  It came from an old house that was located next door to the Cole Implement, an IH dealer in Deerfield, WI, that closed in the 1960s.  The building is currently being used to repair silo unloaders.

007.JPG

008.JPG

• Like 3

20190107_114736.thumb.jpg.60ae1f0528a070445b67625021cb06f3.jpg

These refrigerators most likely were sold in the Greenwood, Mississippi area.  The man in front---ground level is Jack Johnson.

Question: who made the IH refrigerators??  Use to see quite a few around down in these parts.

I just recently spotted this picture from a collection of tractor books and magazines passed on to me.

DD

International Harvester refrigeration products were made at the IH factory in Evansville, Indiana.

Thanks Bud W.----

I just figured they were manufactured by one of the major appliance manufacturers for IH.

Use to see alot of IH window air conditioners also.

Fudwayne''s crate looks to be a match of those being unloaded in the picture.  Should make for an unusual collectible.👍

DD

wow, talk about a survivor in good condition!

9 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

Thanks Bud W.----

I just figured they were manufactured by one of the major appliance manufacturers for IH.

Use to see alot of IH window air conditioners also.

Fudwayne''s crate looks to be a match of those being unloaded in the picture.  Should make for an unusual collectible.👍

DD

Folks had a 15 cubic foot IH deep freezer since about the time they were married, late 1940's/early '50's. It was too big and heavy to get into the basement in the house they moved into in 1972,  it's probably still keeping a side of beef frozen in a neighbor's basement or garage.  I remember four guys carrying it up the steps out of the basement, lift and move a step at a time.

C.H. Wendel's book 150 Years of IHC had a couple interesting pages on the Evansville, Ind. plant.  

On 'Antiques Roadshow' on PBS, the box is always worth more than the toy....

Just sayin----

Mike