666 turbo

From what I've read the small frame tractor rear end was maxed out with a naturally aspirated 312. Why in the world you would go to the trouble to install a dt466 is beyond me. I can only guess you are building some sort of competition tractor. In any case, do a google search for 312 turbo 666. Some of the pullers have encountered the same issue installing a turbo on the 312. They took pictures and posted them on this forum.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, I'm going to use Atlas for new gears in the second and third slot.  Thinking one gear faster than fourth and one gear slower than fourth unless someone steers me in another direction. Haven't decided on the tooth count. Been getting lots of good suggestions on this site. Th

• 2 weeks later...

X2 on fire ringing.  As far as gearing it would depend on what class you run, how heavy, and how much HP.  When I run 6250 lbs. my high gear 19/1 is too slow, When I run 7500 lbs. its too fast.  

What's involved in fire ringing?  Is it like a major overhaul where the pistons and sleeves are removed or is there an easier method?  Initially planning to stop at ~ 500 HP and pull in 7500#.  Utilizing 13 mm head in rotary pump for about 360 fuel delivery.

As far as I know, there’s a few ways to do it, pull the sleeves out and have the ring grooves cut in the sleeve, I think they can cut a groove in the head, and I’m not sure, but can maybe cut a groove in the block? Talk to some reputable engine builders, they can help answer a lot of questions!!

You can fire ring the head and that's the only thing you have to take to the machine shops I've seen a lot of dodge Cummins guys do that.The only time I've seen someone do the block is when they get real crazy on the boost I've heard doing the head alone will hold a hundred psi of boost but like the other guys said find a good machine shop and they will tell you what's best for your setup

For the time being, I'm going to stop at 500 HP.  Thinking 360 fuel delivery with appropriate supporting devices should supply that goal. I've concluded the 466 will live in that environment. If not I'll deal with it at failure time, hoping it won't be catastrophic.

• 2 weeks later...