Sign in to follow this  
INTERNATIONAL 1466

Sandblaster????

We are thinking we would like to have a sandblaster for our numerous projects. Never really been around them. What do any of guys have and what does a guy look for. Dry enough air is a problem for Iowa in the summer. We also would like to run it with our shop air compressor which is only 15 cfm. Any ideas or input from y'all would be great. Thanks

Make sure you get a pressurized pot think Clark makes a decent one we got a little one think it holds 100lbs and I got a bigger one but it takes a 100cfm to run it decent I have a twin 10 horse with dual v 4 compressors with a 250 gal tank but the little one does same thing just slower

I bought one from Brut Manufacturing...............I believe they are in OH if I remember right, wasn't cheap, but they run sales on them before Christmas and got it then and saved a little.  Tons better than the POS with 6" llong hose and elf opening in the top from Hazard Frought.............

I had a Clarke got from tTSC . 

Sold it ,for a little less than half what I paid for. So glad it’s gone.

Mine was 48x24x24  with filter side load and top load with filter. And lights 

Just  that it was twice the work. And twice the clean up. 

I have better luck and cheaper chemical clean or I hire it done  

good luck with what you decide 

Added 

i added wheels to roll mine so I did it outside weather permitting. In northeast Ohio is not often . On sunny 🌞 day so bright out can’t see inside 

i forgot to say ,for example  I got dust garnet into a box of 560 an other ih oil filters, I had to scrap. Augh 

i also burnt out the motor in the ir 5 hp compressor. New replacement motor is almost 700💸

dont use red garnet,  to dusty! 

Glass far less dust and you can see your work. 

Spend a lot of time waiting for dust air filter to clear the cloud of dust. 

Sorry this my experience. 

I got a 40# Harbor Freight pressure blaster.  I run it with a 7-1/2 hp 25 cfm 80 gallon compressor. I wouldn't want any smaller compressor.  Theoretically you can run a 1/8th inch blast nozzle with 15 cfm, but really, you can't,  the nozzle wears and flows more than 15 cfm and you run out of air.  I'm using sized quartz sand, it wears the ceramic nozzles in about 100#.  Costs $10/100#, cuts paint & rust great.  Don't even think you can blast with $2/100# play sand, you'd need 1/4" nozzles and 100 cfm. Way too many small stones mixed into the sand.

I don't have a blast cabinet,  so sand gets everywhere. Concrete floor with a little fine sand is slick like ICE! And I blast as far as my hoses reach in front of my shop.  Not sure how clean a cabinet would actually keep things.  The HF pressure regulator and water separator were what you would expect, junk.  I use a Devilbiss coalescing air filter/regulator,  works great.  I replaced the whole blast control handle after 1200-1500#.  I have to aim a fan at my compressor, pump and motor because I exceed it's duty cycle when I blast.  Compressor will reach pressure and shut off with a new nozzle,  runs 10 minutes, shuts off for 4 min.  I typically blast with 90 -100 psi.  Last time I blasted I had a terrible time trying to keep my full face shield clear. Tried using the cheap hood that came with the blaster and it's worthless.

The dustless/water sand blasting is the way to go.

The water cools the metal so you get no warpage of the steel.

This is the place out of Texas.

https://www.dustlessblasting.com/

Down side is it is expensive to get set up.

May need to go into the business as car nuts love it to. You can completely strip a car in short order.

Far nicer than chemical strippers and sanders.

Are you talking about a cabinet or a pressure pot sandblaster? If you mean cabinet, I wouldn't be without mine. Use glass beads and and connect to a dust collector. There's nothing like being able to quickly clean a small part. The surface left takes paint readily or is ready to braze, silver solder, or weld. Glass beads will remove corrosion and uncover the real base material without damage. I'll use it on small engine pistons - not the pin bore. Be sure to clean anything that's going into an engine or gearbox thoroughly and mask any bearing surface. Gorilla tape seems to work the best for me. 

If you're talking about a pressure pot I've got one I hardly use anymore. I used Black Beauty (coal slag product), outside. My 5 hp compressor would just keep up with it but it was working hard. I still use it on occasion but take any big projects to the pro. He's got a diesel compressor that runs all day outside his shop and the charges are reasonable - $1 a minute. The machine is big and works fast.

Edit: Pro also does media blast for sheet metal and has the experience to never warp things. One day I was dropping off and he was just finishing an AC Cobra for a restoration shop.

I elected to go with a cabinet sand blaster and have never been sorry.  Mine has about 32 inch doors on each end (I only load/unload from the left door though.) and rarely do I have something that will not fit.  More of a problem is having sufficient reach inside with one's arms reach being too short.  My first sir compressor was a single stage 18 CFM 5 HP unit.  It ran about 40% of sand blasting time when blasting large pieces where you are blasting a high percentage of the time.  When doing smaller parts where you have to fasten them into a vice grip and such it ran a lower % of the time.  Per the sand blaster manufacturer  about 40$ is ideal air compressor run time.  When that gave up the ghost I went with a 15 CFM tow stage compressor.  The manufacturer assured me it was sufficient.  My hope was for a quieter compressor.  I was wrong on both run time % and quietness.  Make sure you install a regulator set for 90 psi or so and a moisture trap.  Mine also has the exhaust fan with filter.  That works great with no in shed dust.  One needs to clean that filter after one hour of sand blasting.  Most manufacturers do not suggest using sand in them.  Aluminum oxide, coal slag, Black Beauty, Black Diamond and a whole host of other sand blasting medias are available.  When restoring tractors, implements, etc.  they are a necessity.

6 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

The dustless/water sand blasting is the way to go.

The water cools the metal so you get no warpage of the steel.

This is the place out of Texas.

https://www.dustlessblasting.com/

Down side is it is expensive to get set up.

May need to go into the business as car nuts love it to. You can completely strip a car in short order.

Far nicer than chemical strippers and sanders.

Those look really nice but I think a setup is something like $30K

X whatever on TP tools cabnet one. We also have a 300 lb pressure pot we got off Craigslist and a 50 lb pressure pot we got from a part time guy here. The 50 lb one we haven't used at all. 300 lb one we use on the Gardner Denver 750 cfm compressor ( only need around 150-200 to run it nice) 

5 hp will run alot to do any amount of blasting. I have a Quincy 24 cfm compressor in the service truck I can run the cabinet one with