CaseIH MX100, MX110 and MX120 School Me On Them

CaseIH MX 100, 115 and 120 - reading a bit about them.  Cummins 5.9 engine, seem fairly heavy over 10,000 lbs according to tractordata, strikes me as 86 series heavy - tough as an 86 series?

Tractordata says made from 1997 to 1999, but shows serial numbers out to 2002 - which is correct?

Decent haying tractor?  How’s the cab?  I gather open station models were scarce?  Mostly I’ve seen 4x4, front axle and drive reliable?  I’d prefer a 4x2, any issues with those?

How are parts, DYI serviceability and electronics?

How many hours are to many hours?  Anything funky about the hydraulics and/or PTO?

Syncromesh or partial powershift transmission - which is preferred and/more reliable?

Seem like a short lived production run, cut short by the New Holland merger.

Tractordata says mfg’d in Racine - for some reason I thought the Maxxum series tractors were made in Doncaster?

MX 100, 115 and 120 - what’s the good, bad and ugly regarding them?

Thanks!

Add the MX135 to that list, they are all about the same. The 2wd version of all the MX Maxxums used the front axle of the 2wd 71-72-8900 Magnums. On of the best 2wd axles I’ve worked with. All the MX Maxxums make good haying tractors. I have a 2wd MX135 and MFD MX150 and MX170. Use them extensively for raking and baling. Not likely to go to anything else for quite a while. Only real recurring bugaboos on the MX100-135 are the park brake and the pto. Cab is great, better than anything CIH offered before. 

They were built from late ‘97 to ‘02. NOrth American tractors were assembled in Racine, the rest in Doncaster I think. The synchro trans is rare but cheaper to run long term. I have no preference either way really, have run both powershift and synchro extensively. Both have the same number of speeds and speed ratios. 

Open station MXs are rare.  The engine has 0 electronics on it, only a solenoid to operate the fuel shut off, and that can be wired or strapped open so the engine will run.  The transmission, pto and 3 pt do have electronics involved.  Parts are readily available, and there is a decent aftermarket parts presence.  I would buy based on condition, not hours so much.  The MFD axle is a Carraro axle.  They are fine as long as they aren’t neglected and overloaded constantly.  Turning radius is good also as long as the wheels aren’t set way in.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

McCormick kept them going for awhile with different engines and badging but the rest was the same, although I don't know when the bones of them changed, because I don't believe the new ones are based off of them, but I could be wrong.  

Yes...

From 03 to about 08 they were basically same but with perkins or Iveco engines.  The little MX are awesome imo.  My 170 has 13k hrs and will never leave.  Never seen non power shift model... it is very simple and easy to fix.  One of our McCormicks [have/had 3 now) lost 3rd ps.  Split, took 15m to do clutch, rolled back together.  Like 300 in parts and 1 day work.  We have not had pto issues.  Just think...its a 100hp tractor and operate accordingly.  My current 03(or 05..?) mtx120 McC we stole at a action has a 6.7 Iveco.  Nice engine, if i understand ita a cousin of a 5.9 Cummins.  Starts like nothing.  But 2wd...guys B 86 are rough riding....this one is badddd.  But it has 14.9 little 38s so makes it rough i guess too.  My uncle mx135 with severe abuse and lack of care is 9000h...still totally operational.  He NEver greased it...ever.  Fed his dairy from cement bunker for 6000 hr till the king pin flat broke off.  Neede new axle housing and knuckles.  They took all gears out and reinstalled.  All like new they said.  My 170 at 12k hr had wiggle in front....the knuckle has wore just enough the lower king pin bearing twisted and we needed knuckle.  But...12h Alo 980 loader...stacked alot of feed and did a ton of road work.  Cabs are easy and comfy.  They have s few elec things that go whanky but most is easy to fix and diagnose.  If under 10k h i would buy one any day.  PM if you want more praises... ;)

They really should of dropped NH mid sized and kept these.  We all know how MXM turned out...

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

They really should of dropped NH mid sized and kept these.  We all know how MXM turned out...

True statement there.

The MX series Maxxum tractors are my all time favorite, great mix of just enough electronics to make them really operator friendly and yet simple straight forward design. Really cleaned up from the 5200 series, good hydraulics (for the market tractor was intended for) great engine. Cab is very roomy and nice placement of controls. Pto has been a source of trouble for some and for others, thousands of hours without a problem. 

JJA serial prefix built state side and JJE serial prefix built overseas. 

• Thanks 2
5 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

X2.  I owned a TM120 (same as MXM) for 3 years.  It was a nice enough tractor but the cab was outdated and pretty much all of the tractor was “cheaper” than the Maxxums it replaced.

10 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Yes...

From 03 to about 08 they were basically same but with perkins or Iveco engines.  The little MX are awesome imo.  My 170 has 13k hrs and will never leave.  Never seen non power shift model... it is very simple and easy to fix.  One of our McCormicks [have/had 3 now) lost 3rd ps.  Split, took 15m to do clutch, rolled back together.  Like 300 in parts and 1 day work.  We have not had pto issues.  Just think...its a 100hp tractor and operate accordingly.  My current 03(or 05..?) mtx120 McC we stole at a action has a 6.7 Iveco.  Nice engine, if i understand ita a cousin of a 5.9 Cummins.  Starts like nothing.  But 2wd...guys B 86 are rough riding....this one is badddd.  But it has 14.9 little 38s so makes it rough i guess too.  My uncle mx135 with severe abuse and lack of care is 9000h...still totally operational.  He NEver greased it...ever.  Fed his dairy from cement bunker for 6000 hr till the king pin flat broke off.  Neede new axle housing and knuckles.  They took all gears out and reinstalled.  All like new they said.  My 170 at 12k hr had wiggle in front....the knuckle has wore just enough the lower king pin bearing twisted and we needed knuckle.  But...12h Alo 980 loader...stacked alot of feed and did a ton of road work.  Cabs are easy and comfy.  They have s few elec things that go whanky but most is easy to fix and diagnose.  If under 10k h i would buy one any day.  PM if you want more praises... ;)

if they had the iveco later they would be almost the same as the early maxxum then. The 6.7 iveco and dodge Cummins are almost the same. Rear timing gears vs standard front on dodge.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, SD6788 said:

Found one in December.  Can't get parts for anything for the open station.  Even the tilt wheel lever is discontinued. 

IMG_2120.JPG

Hummm.....I've operated a OS and the lever is same as cab model.  Iirc

Look at a McCormick dealer nearly same from 03 to 08.  Even 08 on is real close on lots of stuff.  Just 08 is when McC did revamp and elec got poor cabs got fancier etc.  Did some whanky shifter crud and bit many were sold here after that.

In 1998 purchased a brand new MX 100 2 WD with a case IH L300 loader, it only has 5200 hours on it… Just broke in!

The only thing we had problems with was the PTO and a couple of relays in the side console for the powershift. It mostly does loader work about 80% and the other 20% it is the sprayer tractor, it needs new rear tires and it’s on it’s third set of front tires.

I was very impressed by the power and speed of the hydraulics in the MX, it was way faster and stronger than our 7120! 

I would love to find another one like it but in four-wheel-drive, but in this area they’re really holding their value! 

Like Troy dairy says they are one of the best tractors case IH ever built!  I wasn’t very happy to find out that they were discontinuing those tractors after the merger! But at least they live on as a McCormick, I know some guys that were trading in there maxxums for McCormick‘s but they were less than impressed with the Perkins engines, apparently they didn’t have the power of the 5.9 engine. 

This spring my brother decided he wanted to lease and McCormick TTX 230 which is similar to an MX 150 and 170 rear end, it’s a nice tractor but it doesn’t have the weight and the tires under it like my MX 220 for doing tillage work,  it worked well doing PTO work like the forage harvester, it would make an awesome loader tractor though! 

Here’s a couple pictures, The MTX 125 McCormick was sitting at the dealer when I picked up the TTX 230.

019775B0-079C-446C-92C9-2D11EDC48517.jpeg

06532968-4B61-4ECA-A324-2F620CED0992.jpeg

56735D47-C761-4335-9F89-7B439AE8B047.jpeg

15 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Here is the company that took over the Doncaster production line and moved it to ussr. The internet says they bought the tooling out of Doncaster so IHC lived on in Russia

Well that’s cool!! At least now they’re going to be building some good tractors in the USSR! It’s a big step up from the old Belarus tractors!

26 minutes ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

Well that’s cool!! At least now they’re going to be building some good tractors in the USSR! It’s a big step up from the old Belarus tractors!

I don’t know if they are building them yet. This is a truck mfg not Minsk tractor that bought the tooling when plant closed

3 minutes ago, dale560 said:

I don’t know if they are building them yet. This is a truck mfg not Minsk tractor that bought the tooling when plant closed

I wonder if they’ll ship them to North America?  They are a well proven tractor as long as the quality control is there when they build them.

On 1/13/2019 at 11:13 AM, Qc.Can.IH man said:

Have you seen the new Belarus tractors? MTZ I believe. They are a nice looking tractor. Very modern. There's a dealer not that far away from me selling them. Fwa and 4wd. Nothing at all like the crude looking tractors of 20 years ago lol