6 Cylinder M. How's It Done?

On 1/17/2019 at 6:40 AM, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Gee, I thought a 3.9L 4 cylinder B series was as small as they made.  That 3.3L would be a sweet little engine in an H.

Our Dynapac roller at work has one in it.  It's physical size I think would work in an H or a tractor of that size.  The one in our roller is set at 85hp.  Starts like a champ all the time.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Although I appreciate your concern, I highly doubt I will have issues with the rear end by going on tractor drives and to the local show. Heck, look at what antique tractor pullers are making for HP t

Fake news. There were tons of 560s around here and everybody loved them. The first run needed axle bearing upgrades in certain operating conditions and it was blown out of proportion by the competitio

This 504  I  found  less  a  engine,  installed  a  221   6 cyl.  from  a  retired  303  combine, used a intermediate  plate  and   fly wheel  from a 606 diesel ,  starter from a 504 diesel. Lengthene

Posted Images

This 504  I  found  less  a  engine,  installed  a  221   6 cyl.  from  a  retired  303  combine, used a intermediate  plate  and   fly wheel  from a 606 diesel ,  starter from a 504 diesel. Lengthened the frame channels, all the hood and side panels and steering shaft 7".

Ran with original 504 rad, did not have enough cooling capacity, so made up a new rad, same width and height, only deeper, (more tubes) cools fine now. There are a lot of connections to alter, such as air cleaner and connections, throttle, choke, wire harness, fuel lines and it does require some hours of work.

Carl

Carl planting potatoes.JPG

• Like 4

DSCF0008.JPG

• Like 2
On 1/16/2019 at 10:40 PM, Ihcubguy said:

I am following this thread.  Would love to see this when it's done.  I know of 2 six cylinder M's locally.  One has a DT466 in it and the other from what I remember has a 361 in it I believe.  Both look like they were factory built.  And both ran extremely well on the pulling track.  Been a number of years since I've seen them on the track though.

I would love some day to take a 3.3 Cummins and put it in an H just for fun.

We built a plate and flywheel to put the 3.3 in a 656 utility for a guy a while back, is a neat set up and he likes it. But The 3.3 is unbalanced and is not fun to be around if you spin it very fast. We resolved a similar problem in 3.9's that are not balanced by running a heavy flywheel in them.  If we do another I am going to try to build a heavy flywheel and see how it comes out. They are a 70 to 85 HP engine with real good fuel consumption rate be great in an H or a 340 504 etc. Found these pics thought you might like them. Was a new engine and it requires a remote oil filter to fit inside the frame rails.

20170216_175715_resized_1.jpg

20170216_175721_resized.jpg

20170216_182056_resized.jpg

20170216_182345_resized.jpg

As far as the Flywheel and starter set up for the M.  I believe a 560 diesel flywheel will go in and work fine,  And I think you can run the 2 bolt starter that an M had if you don't have a 3 bolt center housing around.  Have seen them hooked up to twelve volt and stand up to that for years.

Attached a picture of a 560 and 360 conversion and a SM with a 5.9 thought you all might like

560-414 erickson 015 (6).JPG

Farmall M5.JPG

FarmallM 7.JPG

On 1/18/2019 at 9:02 PM, Ruby Red said:

DSCF0008.JPG

On 1/18/2019 at 9:00 PM, Ruby Red said:

This 504  I  found  less  a  engine,  installed  a  221   6 cyl.  from  a  retired  303  combine, used a intermediate  plate  and   fly wheel  from a 606 diesel ,  starter from a 504 diesel. Lengthened the frame channels, all the hood and side panels and steering shaft 7".

Ran with original 504 rad, did not have enough cooling capacity, so made up a new rad, same width and height, only deeper, (more tubes) cools fine now. There are a lot of connections to alter, such as air cleaner and connections, throttle, choke, wire harness, fuel lines and it does require some hours of work.

Carl

Carl planting potatoes.JPG

I really like this!!  I have always wondered why IH didn't do this from the factory or why wasn't the 656 badged a 606?  I have a 504 I rescued from the scrapper and don't know the condition of the engine, my dad thinks I should make one of these and not worry about rebuilding the C-153.  I wasn't sure how much was going to be involved, but now I know!

On 1/11/2019 at 10:39 AM, Power of Red said:

IMG_1639.thumb.JPG.91d335be248de9a2eabc41ad9519f2d6.JPG

On 1/9/2019 at 8:47 PM, BZtractor said:

650A866C-D966-402C-86A9-7A25BA34F50E.jpeg.5e641dbd20bf826c6e8ba3773b7427d1.jpeg

I definitely think the hood on the 466 swap looks MUCH better than the gas engine swap.  To make it  look normal you need to lengthen the gas tank end of the hood, otherwise it looks goofy.

• Like 3
On 1/19/2019 at 7:19 PM, Ed Leaman said:

We built a plate and flywheel to put the 3.3 in a 656 utility for a guy a while back, is a neat set up and he likes it. But The 3.3 is unbalanced and is not fun to be around if you spin it very fast. We resolved a similar problem in 3.9's that are not balanced by running a heavy flywheel in them.  If we do another I am going to try to build a heavy flywheel and see how it comes out. They are a 70 to 85 HP engine with real good fuel consumption rate be great in an H or a 340 504 etc. Found these pics thought you might like them. Was a new engine and it requires a remote oil filter to fit inside the frame rails.

20170216_175715_resized_1.jpg

20170216_175721_resized.jpg

20170216_182056_resized.jpg

20170216_182345_resized.jpg

Very Cool!  Thank you for the pictures.  Right now it's a dream that will not materialize for many years IF ever.  Just one of those things I think would be cool.

Don't have one to compare.  Does anyone know if a diesel and gas 560 flywheel use the same flywheel other than the tooth count on ring gears? If so the M ring gear should work on the gas flywheel since it will on a diesel. Dave

• 1 year later...
37 minutes ago, KWRB said:

@Farmall Doctor

Did you ever make any progress with this?

...not yet. A Super MTA and an F-20 on full steel followed me home this spring, so I ended up getting those running. Also, I just haven't been able to give up a work bay in the shop all year.. busy is good though.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

...not yet. A Super MTA and an F-20 on full steel followed me home this spring, so I ended up getting those running. Also, I just haven't been able to give up a work bay in the shop all year.. busy is good though.

Fact. Busy is good. I'm very interested when you do get to it though. I think doing this with a SW-6 would be awesome.

• Like 1
On 1/21/2019 at 12:05 AM, Cooter said:

I really like this!!  I have always wondered why IH didn't do this from the factory or why wasn't the 656 badged a 606?  I have a 504 I rescued from the scrapper and don't know the condition of the engine, my dad thinks I should make one of these and not worry about rebuilding the C-153.  I wasn't sure how much was going to be involved, but now I know!

The 606 had a 221 and the 656 the 263, so the 656 was well badged.  I have a donor 460 gas and a 656 chassis.  Plan to build a 606 row crop some day.

5 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Since we're talking 6-cylinder swaps into an M in this topic,  wasn't somebody on this forum working on putting a GMC 305 V-6 into an M?  Thought it was a year ago.

Not sure but the pistons from this GMC engine fit in a M block to increase the cid is what I remember a discussion about

Screenshot_2018-06-05-14-27-23.png

On 1/11/2019 at 8:13 AM, DWV said:

SM 12 inch clutch &  PP works. Conversion pictured looks to have the 2 bolt starter mount housing, but it could be a MD or early SMD 3 bolt starter mount. Picture is a little blurry at that point. If you could come up with what's called a stage 2 SM center housing with 3 bolt starter mounting I think you would have more starter choices.  Regular gas 560 starter should work on that housing if it cleared other things. Gas 560 used a 160 tooth flywheel gear compared to a 125 tooth for M through 450 gas.  Diesel 560 and SMD through 450D tractors used the same flywheel starter gear. unless a real early SMD, those used the same gear as gas or diesel M. Dave

I think you will need the 560 D flywheel, the neck will be a different length on the 706 wheel and the ring gear is wrong on a gas.  12" clutch setup from SM works fine.