6 Cylinder M. How's It Done?

Farmall Doctor

Hey folks. I have a couple of Farmall M carcasses in my archives, as well as a running C263 out of a 706... too much stuff in the barns and I should do something with it. I thought building a 6 cylinder M would be a fun weekend project for me and a couple of friends that are always in for a fun winter tractor building event! I have heard that the 560 frame rails are the ones to use. So, to the guys that have done this before, are the 560 frame rails the easiest to use? One of my suppliers has a set of 660D rails, which are the same. How about a clutch? The old 706 gas engine still has the stock flywheel. Which clutch combination is best, and will the stock M release bearing mechanism work? How about the starter?  Any other hangups? I would like to have everything ready to go so that I don't take up valuable shop space for too long. Too many paying jobs waiting my majical touch! haha

I can build/fab/flub the rest of the project, but I thought I would save some legwork and ask here if someone already had the combination down pat, or if there are any suggestions from someone who has done it already.  The local tractor club keeps bugging me to go on tractor drives, and a 6 cylinder M would be a fun unit for just such an event! Thanks!

Just now, drglinski said:

IH made a 6 cylinder M.  It was called the 560.  It had terrible rear end issues. ?

Fake news. There were tons of 560s around here and everybody loved them. The first run needed axle bearing upgrades in certain operating conditions and it was blown out of proportion by the competition.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, superih said:

Just remember a 560 is the 6 cylinder descendant of an M, use 560 frame rails and engine plate, I believe a 560 uses a 12" clutch, so you should be good to go, I just can't confirm that the starter will work but pretty sure it will.

Yea, I'm thinking the tricky part for me will be finding the 560 engine plate. I don't think the 706 was the same bolt pattern, but I can measure tomorrow.

Farmall Doctor: There is a 6 cylinder Farmall M or Super M northwest of Guelph somewhere. I saw it at the 2016 IPM in Harriston.  It had a C263 in it and it was a beautiful creation with some good bodywork on the hood. Ask around Chapter 20 and you can get his name from someone in the club. The guy is a well known collector from that area.    

10 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

Fake news. There were tons of 560s around here and everybody loved them. The first run needed axle bearing upgrades in certain operating conditions and it was blown out of proportion by the competition.

Yes!   Neighbor across the road farmed 320 acres with just a 560 gas. plow, disk, plant, cultivate, 560 did it ALL except pick corn,  had an IH 203 combine. Farmed that place 6-7 years and who knows how many hours. Tractor aways ran. The last year he did buy a W-9 to help with primary tillage.

Guy that owned my Super H for most of the 14 years before we got it had an early 560-D that lived on his mix-mill grinding hog feed.  Not sure it ever did fieldwork.  He sent it to town to be over-hauled, guys at the dealer were amazed, tractor still looked almost brand new, shiny paint, little nubs still on all 4 original tires, hour meter showed 5000-6000 hours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I did some part number checking and found that the 706 engine used the same engine backing plate as the 560, so that should work! I also have the frame rails that came off of the same 706 that my C-263 is from. They are the same length as the 560, so I assume they should also work..? When I get a chance I will measure the bolt patterns for the front bolster to see if they will bolt to the M front end. I wonder what clutch/flywheel combo will fit the best.

13 hours ago, drglinski said:

IH made a 6 cylinder M.  It was called the 560.  It had terrible rear end issues. ?

As above states they (management) did not listen to engineering, 

they had to change gear profile of bull gear and gear pinion. I would highly recommend you lolocate those gears with the correct redesign. That design did not last long they immediately did what the should have done in first place  and put out the 706 ,totally different differential. 

also you will need to remove the inner axle ball bearing ,and put a roller bearing in there along with replace the outer axle ball bearing with seals  roller bearings are pricey. 

It pretty risky project imo , be safe , good luck , 

suggest find a 706 to resurrect . 

Although I appreciate your concern, I highly doubt I will have issues with the rear end by going on tractor drives and to the local show. Heck, look at what antique tractor pullers are making for HP these days. This little project isn't going to be put in front of a 4 furrow plow for 8 hours a day. Besides, I already have a Super m, and a 706.. among most other models. Just looking for something different and fun, and to use up parts I already have laying around.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Thesd5488 said:

You can bolt a 466 right in nothing hard about it

Yes I know, nothing hard, but I only get Saturday and Sunday to work on my own stuff, so I need to have all of the parts ready to go.  so I figured it would be easier to ask a few questions before bringing carcasses into the shop so that it could be rolled or driven out on Sunday night instead of having to forklift half carcasses and pallets of parts out because of something being wrong. I can't call for a different clutch on a Saturday afternoon. 

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:43 PM, Farmall Doctor said:

Thanks, George! 

On second thought give Richards Equipment in Barrie a call and I think Bob Junior will know the guy's name that has the 6 cyl M or Super M. BTW everything fits up at the clutch housing with the stock parts. The only surgery is the extended hood, at least that is the way it appeared to me. 

• Thanks 1

I think it is great project and I agree get everything you can rounded up, best way to finish a project and most problems are usually cause by abuse 

21 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

Well, I did some part number checking and found that the 706 engine used the same engine backing plate as the 560, so that should work! I also have the frame rails that came off of the same 706 that my C-263 is from. They are the same length as the 560, so I assume they should also work..? When I get a chance I will measure the bolt patterns for the front bolster to see if they will bolt to the M front end. I wonder what clutch/flywheel combo will fit the best.

SM 12 inch clutch &  PP works. Conversion pictured looks to have the 2 bolt starter mount housing, but it could be a MD or early SMD 3 bolt starter mount. Picture is a little blurry at that point. If you could come up with what's called a stage 2 SM center housing with 3 bolt starter mounting I think you would have more starter choices.  Regular gas 560 starter should work on that housing if it cleared other things. Gas 560 used a 160 tooth flywheel gear compared to a 125 tooth for M through 450 gas.  Diesel 560 and SMD through 450D tractors used the same flywheel starter gear. unless a real early SMD, those used the same gear as gas or diesel M. Dave