Sign in to follow this  
lorenzo

Easy method for checking your block heater.

Block heater on my 6.0 truck has engine and oil temps at 150* each morning at startup, dont know what it cost but it sure is nice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, SMiller said:

Block heater on my 6.0 truck has engine and oil temps at 150* each morning at startup, dont know what it cost but it sure is nice.

Don’t you live in Florida?

• Haha 1

I have my 6.0 on a heavy duty timer so that the block heater comes on at least two hours before I leave the house.

Lorenzo:  Where did you get the adapter?

6 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

You could build one of those with some extension cord ends and some thhn wire for about $5 if you wanted to save some money 

2 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Time.

Sorry I got off subject on the skidsteer

3 hours ago, lorenzo said:

The  (Joy stick)  or EH  method of controls has become standard now for most brands. You cant get a John Deer with the old hand and foot controls anymore.

The 323 is also phased out and replaced with the 325.  The 333 is still the top gun for the D series John Deer. I run a 770 Bobcat that a friend has and its a great one also.

I believe it rises higher then the Deer by 2 feet.

The optional Performance package allows you to choose three different speeds for the controls to react and there is also a toggle switch for Creeper mode to slow things way down.

Once you get used to the EH controls   (Electrohydraulic )   with the performance package you might not want to go back to the  old style.

I learned on the old school hand and foot controls but prefer the EH. Some old timers don't want to adapt to them and thats ok I guess but everything new is EH.

You can jump from a track loader right to a 963 and its all controlled the same so for an operator at a construction company or excavating company can easily hop from one machine to another.

Its all personal preference and what you get used to. 

Now I cant wait for all the Bobcat is best, Case is best, Cat is best, Kubota is best, Mobil is best,Chevy is best, Ford is best ,Firestone is best, Pioneer is best, Stanadyne is best, ect... ect...

But thats whats great about the WWW,   and thankfully  opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has at least one. 

The machine I was in had sensitivity settings but I didn't want to change them as it wasn't my machine. The Company did have all Deere machines. 33x wheel and track skidsteers ,85g and 350g excavators. The excavators didn't thrill me compared to other minis or a Cat 336.

2 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Don’t you live in Florida?

Yes but it was 36* this morning, in the garage...

Haul my 1 year old to school, instant heat.

4 minutes ago, SMiller said:

Dang! Probably felt colder than the 14 we had in Northern Illinois this morning 

5 hours ago, ZachGrant said:

You could build one of those with some extension cord ends and some thhn wire for about $5 if you wanted to save some money 

I have made these adapters from a piggyback teathered float switch from a sump pump. Just cut the  cord and splice the wires together. Then clamp around one wire. 

8 hours ago, oleman said:

My portable goto meter is a Fluke 83. On the bench I use an HP 3466A or a Fluke 8000A with a low ohms range. In the truck I have a Triplett 9007.  I had a Simpson 260 that I gave to my non-geek brother because the analog meter is actually easier for him to understand. Now I have to get another  Simpson 260 because there are some parameter measurements that the analog meter is better at.

Attached is a photo of the bench on 1/10/2019

IMG_3006.JPG

CQ------CQ---------CQ--------            Daw Di Daw Di.   Daw Daw Di Daw .       ...  ---  ...      

....    .    .-..     .-..   ---- 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, SMiller said:

Sigh.  Yeah

ive never seen one of those, but I will be ordering one, thats awesome for much more than block heaters. 

thanks for sharing

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, lorenzo said:

The  (Joy stick)  or EH  method of controls has become standard now for most brands. You cant get a John Deer with the old hand and foot controls anymore.

The 323 is also phased out and replaced with the 325.  The 333 is still the top gun for the G series John Deer. I run a 770 Bobcat that a friend has and its a great one also.

I believe it rises higher then the Deer by 2 feet.

The optional Performance package allows you to choose three different speeds for the controls to react and there is also a toggle switch for Creeper mode to slow things way down.

Once you get used to the EH controls   (Electrohydraulic )   with the performance package you might not want to go back to the  old style.

I learned on the old school hand and foot controls but prefer the EH. Some old timers don't want to adapt to them and thats ok I guess but everything new is EH.

You can jump from a track loader right to a 963 and its all controlled the same so for an operator at a construction company or excavating company can easily hop from one machine to another.

Its all personal preference and what you get used to. 

Now I cant wait for all the Bobcat is best, Case is best, Cat is best, Kubota is best, Mobil is best,Chevy is best, Ford is best ,Firestone is best, Pioneer is best, Stanadyne is best, ect... ect...

But thats whats great about the WWW,   and thankfully  opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has at least one. 

No....we've had calfs without them.....😏  An we all know that HTTP is way ahead of www.  Come on now....

Fwiw...we have a 60 and 40xt case with the hand controls.  Not joystick but cases version from way back i guess.  Really like it...brothers both have 14 barn boot and a foot control one cant work with them clod hoppers.  Weve been real happy with them.  The 40 is kinda unneeded...its small but so so so nice to have at dry cow barn.  For cow incidents, cleaning pens quick, etc.  The 60 is used weekly for fluffing stalls, cow stuff, little clean ups etc.  We got it used in 12 and dad even went..."why didn't i have one of these?"

Our land lord where we had dry cows had a JD..260?  Was kinda clumsy.  It always felt like you were too close and got crappy.  Not much reach but it was a small machine.  

Interesting thing is how here no dairy had a skid steer till like 10 15 years ago.  Then a good deal on NH ones came out and a bunch of guys got them to scrap freestall barns.  Then they all broke...and guys went back to tractors.  Most got one now for pushing feed and odd stuff though.

How the h e dbl hockeysticks did a block heater get to this?😀😯  i have them and when i plug em in they warm the engine....😉👍👍👍

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, 88power said:

Sorry I got off subject on the skidsteer

No apology nessisary you silly man .lets talk about oil now or  mabie how great Ford is compaired to all other brands 😳 or mabie Easter island ,  how the heck did they do these and why 96563A29-B832-44F5-A73C-C96F87B319E3.thumb.jpeg.d005fd71020de74655f668e35730fe0d.jpeg

or what the heck is this about7FA0CE0C-97FB-47F9-A2DB-BEDE19D93478.thumb.jpeg.21022193cb8e597f6df131ee4fa145d6.jpeg

or who did this6F4A6F5A-019D-4381-BA84-162D5BBF092A.thumb.jpeg.438bca83a1f9cdebf04872776535c959.jpeg

or why dosent this lamb poop on this lady like it did DAB93A3C-9E18-484C-AA82-BFA032E0F2BA.thumb.jpeg.7f4942d4f152a7acd6495b0e41116358.jpegwhen  I held it. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

No apology nessisary you silly man .

😂 Lol okay sir

• Thanks 1

The one time I left my core plug type block heater plugged in all month it added $150 to the electric bill. Then, I bought a timer and then we had 3 warmer than normal winters :-)

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2019 at 7:06 PM, dale560 said:

Does anybody have a formula to figure out what it costs an hour to run off of 10 ct a kWh electricity just for  reference what it costs to plug one in.

Costs me a dollar a day to plug my truck in and it only heats the 3406 from 4 AM to 9 AM.

Ron

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2019 at 1:08 PM, SMiller said:

Been there---felt that---36* in FLA is KOLD!!!

Mike

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mikem said:

Been there---felt that---36* in FLA is KOLD!!!

Mike

Yes we were in Florida at Disney world a few years ago and it is damp cold.

On 1/11/2019 at 4:52 AM, lorenzo said:

No apology nessisary you silly man .lets talk about oil now or  mabie how great Ford is compaired to all other brands 😳 or mabie Easter island ,  how the heck did they do these and why 96563A29-B832-44F5-A73C-C96F87B319E3.thumb.jpeg.d005fd71020de74655f668e35730fe0d.jpeg

or what the heck is this about7FA0CE0C-97FB-47F9-A2DB-BEDE19D93478.thumb.jpeg.21022193cb8e597f6df131ee4fa145d6.jpeg

or who did this6F4A6F5A-019D-4381-BA84-162D5BBF092A.thumb.jpeg.438bca83a1f9cdebf04872776535c959.jpeg

or why dosent this lamb poop on this lady like it did DAB93A3C-9E18-484C-AA82-BFA032E0F2BA.thumb.jpeg.7f4942d4f152a7acd6495b0e41116358.jpegwhen  I held it. 

So lets see...

1. Aliens...duh.  havnt you seen the guy with the hair show the theory of his proof?

2. Pelosi anciet clan of Liberaitiiallika from Dingwallabigda

3. Freemasons....bet there a map there some where 

4. It pooped already so....good to go.  Smart lady.

• Haha 1