Good things come to those who wait

18 hours ago, btred1466 said:

Nice to see you have it Home BJ. Sharp Tractor. It Looks like Matt knows how to make a Tractor look better than when it came out of the Factory New!

BJ, What are the Firestone Rear Tires on your Hydro 186? I can see they are Firestones and looks like Sidewall says SAT II 23, Bias?

I need Rear Tires for my 1466, Right Rear is done, I think I want to go up to the 20.8 38's from the 18.4 38's. I want the Firestones.

Yes, they are 18.4-38 SAT II bias. 

Edited by FarmallFan
Corrected tire size

Yesterday 2+2 Guy and I got the batteries changed. Here’s a shot with the right side steps removed. It was a lot of work and I am glad to have a good friend willing to come help me get it done.

9282F5D0-525E-4F1B-B3C7-C4F1CB9A5B44.jpeg

• Like 2

BJ - All you had to do was pull the pins and slide the loader forward a couple feet and the batteries would have come right out the front without removing the step.

jerry

• Like 1

Jerry,

The brackets for the rear of the loader would still be in the way. We thought of removing the loader but then realized the brackets would have to come off too. 

BJ ,

Just came across this thread.

Congratulations , to You and Matt . You have a great keepsake and Matt did a great job.

Was good seeing you and John bringing that beauty home.

Tony

12 hours ago, SMOKER 1 said:

BJ - All you had to do was pull the pins and slide the loader forward a couple feet and the batteries would have come right out the front without removing the step.

jerry

Oh how I wish that were true, Jerry. I assume that's how it is supposed to work, but with that particular loader on that particular tractor the massive brackets that mount the loader would still need to be removed to access the front opening on the battery boxes. 

I'm a little embarrassed to say that it took us 5+ hours to replace 2 batteries. Keep in mind that we were trying to be extra careful to not scratch any of that beautiful new paint and were working with only the tools that I carry in my truck. Not to mention a work light that seemed to be trying to send Morse Code signals. Yeah, I know that I'm getting old and slow but that was not an easy job. The steps were not a difficult problem but getting the 4 straps that hold the battery boxes to the floor boards lined back up with their respective holes in the floor was a real bear. My compliments to Matt. When he tightens a bolt, that thing is tighter than a bull's azz in fly season.

At 9:00 that night I told BJ, "I'm cold, hungry and tired. I'm goin' home". I think he was to. Still gotta go back and load up my tools and the official "2+2 Guy battery jacker upper". ?

See ya tonight, BJ. 

• Like 2

I changed them on my 3688 with 2355 loader by removing the piece that holds the light on. 2355 and 2455 have the same mounting bracket. Only thing I can think of is the brackets might not be mounted correctly. 

Jerry

27 minutes ago, SMOKER 1 said:

I changed them on my 3688 with 2355 loader by removing the piece that holds the light on. 2355 and 2455 have the same mounting bracket. Only thing I can think of is the brackets might not be mounted correctly. 

Jerry

I think on the 88s the batteries hang down farther then on the 86s.  I put everything back the way I found it.IMG_20181027_083238227.thumb.jpg.27688525e120c110c80c6bf39584c994.jpgIMG_20181027_082101800.thumb.jpg.121748a83f10f71c6395fd1c1fa739e3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its been that way for as long as I can remember. It may not be "correct" but it works. 

• Like 1

Again...man that thing looks good.  That loader looks huge on a shortish 186.  Wonder how high you can stack something?  Thise mounts dont appear stock but i have nothing to compare too and they look really skookum for her.  What did gpa use it for?  Like silage and hay or manure and gravel or you name it!?

I have one tiny question/observation.....whats the story with the top of the bucket?  Looks bent...or Veed?

Matt you free this winter?? 

Its main job was to pack silage in the bunker silo. It was also used where ever they needed a loader. The 2455 has reach of 16 ft 1 inch.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

Again...man that thing looks good.  That loader looks huge on a shortish 186.  Wonder how high you can stack something?  Thise mounts dont appear stock but i have nothing to compare too and they look really skookum for her.  What did gpa use it for?  Like silage and hay or manure and gravel or you name it!?

I have one tiny question/observation.....whats the story with the top of the bucket?  Looks bent...or Veed?

Matt you free this winter?? 

Mounts are stock,   what do you have?

OK, I see what you mean.  That is a weird one.  Might it have been easier to drop the loader bracket than unbolt the step?  And I also wondered why you didn't straighten the top of the loader bucket.

jerry

3 hours ago, SMOKER 1 said:

OK, I see what you mean.  That is a weird one.  Might it have been easier to drop the loader bracket than unbolt the step?  And I also wondered why you didn't straighten the top of the loader bucket.

jerry

It got bent somewhere in its life. I decided to leave it alone as a reminder of its past life.

• Like 3

Turned out beautiful BJ! Very nice!

Do you have the auxiliary fuel tank? If not, you can swap the battery boxes so the batteries slide out the back.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, TroyDairy said:

is there no door latch on rt door?

I let the decals set over night before cutting out the hole to place the door latch in.  If they are wet, they tear, move or just make it difficult.    So I wait..

Matt

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IHC5488 said:

IMG_20180827_144908452.thumb.jpg.0cb36b1b10c628f72077f3c1cc137dfe.jpg

Dont go getting a big head there Matt but..... judging by the pics your quality of work and detail is of high quality professional work.  Ive seen Tonys 66 red pick em up in person and it is impeccable pro job.  Your work looks just as high caliber.  When we see $20/cwt milk for a bit I would love to drag a old 18k hr 186 to you.  1st tractor we got when I came back to the farm in 1998 from 2nd owner.  She dutifully ran mixer wagon 365 days a year till 2004 or so.  Then did bedding/sawdust with the slinger till 2014 when she was retired to backup bedding and running manure pump at remote lagoons.  1 trans at 8k and now 18k trans is tired again.  Engine is 100% oem.  Paint on all the bolts even.  Just wore out...but with shot of either always starts (always been hard starter).

Again looks great BJ and Matt.  Grandpa must be so impressed

here is another before picture, with BJ pulling the Nebraska Cowman's dyno truck at the RPRU in Lima, Oh in 2013. hydro was pretty stout then, no whining.

red power 2013 (22).JPG

• Like 2

I was helping Mom look for some other photos, instead I found this one. This is Grandpa moving snow at their house, which is a mile or so down the road from the farm. I thought the original loader was a 2350 but in this photo it appears that my memory was wrong. It looks like it says 2450. 

Hydro186MovingSnowAtGrandmas.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1