Good things come to those who wait

WOW!!  I bet those tractors never looked that good coming out of the factory new!! The attention to detail is amazing....perfection doesn’t even describe how it looks!  There’s only two ways that tractor could look better....with Michelin tires on the back and sitting in my shed!! ??

The Hydro 186 is by far my favourite tractor, I bought my first one in August 2009 ( it now has 9600 hours on it ) and just bought my second one ( with 2000 original hours on it ) in October 2018.

I know there is a lot of man hours doing that kind a restoration, I did my 3688 this past summer, it was completely stripped down except I didn’t remove the cab. I started at the beginning of August and worked on it in my spare time until the end of October, I’m still not completely finished the restoration, I hope to finish it up this spring and be able to post pictures of it.

BJ and Matt.....just think in 40 years from now you can do it all again!! ? ??

This waiting is getting hard to take!! :D Although bringing it home in the middle of this deep freeze probably wouldn't work out too well.

I grew up with a 186 hydro, I would love to have one again someday. The restoration turned out amazing, thanks for sharing it with us.

Beautiful job you guys?.....congrats to all involved......really pleased for ya BJ......enjoy that thing !!!!!!!?

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:06 PM, FarmallFan said:

Grandpa said we could have bought two of them brand new (back in the day) for what we've got in it, including the engine. That was replaced in 2014. 

TRACTOR DATA SAYS 33900.00 IN 1981.  THATS WITH NO LOADER

2 hours ago, farmall666 said:

TRACTOR DATA SAYS 33900.00 IN 1981.  THATS WITH NO LOADER

He didn't pay that much with trade and that he bought it in 1979.

• 1 month later...

The wait is over!! I’m on my way back home from Matt’s. I’ll post pictures when I get home.?

• Like 1

My co-pilot (2+2 Guy) and I left my house at 4:30 this morning. I had to borrow a trailer as mine is buried at the storage facility and I can't get it until May. So I asked my cousin's husband if I use his and he agreed. So the first stop was to pick up the trailer. We got on the road to Matt's about 5 and arrived just before nine. 

Getting ready to load...
ReadyToGoHome1.jpg

Loading up..
ReadyToGoHome6.jpgChe

Checking things over...
ReadyToGoHome14.jpgC

All chained down and heading out!
ReadyToGoHome17.jpg

The drive back home was uneventful. I didn't want to try to back the trailer into our driveway so I opted to unload at at large open lot about a mile from my  house. When we tried to start the tractor we found the batteries were low and couldn't turn it over. John's truck, with a jumper pack inside, was at my house so I called my mom to come get us. She was about a half hour away. Once we got back with John's truck we were finally able to get the tractor to start. 

Here we are finally back home.
Home1.JPG

Turning into my driveway I found some tree branches....
Home3.JPG

After carefully maneuvering around the branches I parked it in the barn.
Home5.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Very nice to have it home and it makes the day better to spend time with John. Hopefully you don't need it to move any snow yet until next winter

Looks great! Enjoyed the video too.   Now that it’s parked in the barn I’d make sure that paint job was covered with some sort of cover from birds, cat feet print etc 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fbh31118 said:

Ah there was video?  I must have missed it.  Great looking tractor!!

I put the video on Facebook. I need to get it on YouTube and post it here.

• Like 1

It was a good trip. Matt did a fantastic job on that tractor. He loaded it and got it chained down so well that we never even had to tighten any binders. BJ did an excellent job of driving and I was extremely impressed with his Dodge/Cummins truck pulling a load like that.....and that's coming from a diehard Chevy guy.

I'll have to admit that I was one whipped pup when I got home, but I think that might be an age thing.?

• Like 2

Sure looks and sounded good BJ. Glad to see you got it home.                                                                                                                             WES

I missed this topic until now. all I can say is WOW. excellent thought by BJ to restore, and excellent work by Matt.

did the tree branches in the driveway scuff the cab roof a tiny bit? if so, it will be like my brother's new-to-him Dodge at the RPRU in ?Indiana. Tornado sirens went off, we were sitting in a church parking lot when little pieces of  a shredded tree put a tiny dent in the RH door. I told him "there, now you can use the thing without worrying about the first ding."

fine, fine job!

3 hours ago, ny bill o said:

I missed this topic until now. all I can say is WOW. excellent thought by BJ to restore, and excellent work by Matt.

did the tree branches in the driveway scuff the cab roof a tiny bit? if so, it will be like my brother's new-to-him Dodge at the RPRU in ?Indiana. Tornado sirens went off, we were sitting in a church parking lot when little pieces of  a shredded tree put a tiny dent in the RH door. I told him "there, now you can use the thing without worrying about the first ding."

fine, fine job!

To be honest I haven't crawled up there to see if it got scratched at all. 

I did discover that the batteries are no good. I had them on chargers for several hours and they don't have enough power to crank it over. Oh well, that will be this weekend's project. :) 

Nice to see you have it Home BJ. Sharp Tractor. It Looks like Matt knows how to make a Tractor look better than when it came out of the Factory New!

BJ, What are the Firestone Rear Tires on your Hydro 186? I can see they are Firestones and looks like Sidewall says SAT II 23, Bias?

I need Rear Tires for my 1466, Right Rear is done, I think I want to go up to the 20.8 38's from the 18.4 38's. I want the Firestones.