FarmallFan

Good things come to those who wait

Ever since the Red Power Roundup in 2013 it has been my goal of getting my Grandpa Derrill Kline's 1978 Hydro 186 restored. In January of 2017 I started making that goal happen. I bought this cab from Hines Equipment in Delta OH. NewCab.JPG

Then it was time to find someone willing to take on the project. Matt Rupp (IHC5488 on here) agreed to take it on. In August of 2017 Dad and I took the cab to Matt so he could begin working on it. Then in October of 2017 the tractor was taken to Matt's. (That's the trucker and my uncle in the photo)IMG_1146.JPG

• Like 2

About a week later it looked like this.

IMG_20171015_140228210_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171015_140305500_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171015_140247545_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171015_140237884_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

After removing the platform Matt found evidence of rodents. 🤢 I bet that's why the fuel gauge didn't work! :D

IMG_1181.JPG.IMG_1183.JPG

imagejpeg_0.jpg

I love the hydros. My uncle has a really nice 186 with the added turbo. Nice to see this one will be next to new again

• Like 1

I will enjoy following the progress of this project!  😊

Nice pics BJ,  keep em coming and best of luck !!

Rear cast centers taken off.
1-22-18_1.jpg

Then Matt found this axle extension had seen better days.
1-22-18_2.jpg

After much heating, beating, etc the extension would'nt come out the center tube. Which led us to this...
FrontEndFix1.JPG
ForntEndFix3.JPG

I got a different center tube and another axle extension from Anderson Tractor in Bluffton, OH.
NewAxle2.JPG

• Like 2

Time for red paint!!
ChassisPainting6.jpg

After putting on some new rear rims and some new tires, it was back to the shop for re-assembly. 
LeavingPaintShop1.jpg

• Like 1

The replacement cab was a bit worse then it looked at first glance. So it got taken apart and got all fixed up, and installed.cabPaint2.jpg

CabAssembly3.jpg

CabGoingOn35.jpg

• Like 2

That 186 is looking really good Can’t wait to see the finished product 

BJ,

Are you going to have the loader put back on? 

I like the pics and thanks for sharing.

BJ sure looks good. will be like new or better when done. Will be following. Thanks for sharing.                                                            WES

14 hours ago, btred1466 said:

BJ,

Are you going to have the loader put back on? 

I like the pics and thanks for sharing.

Yes the loader is going back on. This tractor has always had the loader on it and it will remain that way. 

I never cared for the stock steps that were on the tractor and I decided long ago it would have K&M steps on it. 
CabStepsOn2.jpg

Since the loader is so wide, the lower front cab lights were mounted on the old steps. The new lights are on the new steps.

RightStepWithLight1.jpg

You may have seen Matt's post back in October asking about the seat base. Here is the seat base ready to go into the cab.

SeatBase3.jpg

After reading fellow forum member, B.B.'s topic about all his 86 series I learned that HyCapacity has the correct style seat cushions. The replacement cab came off a 3788 that had the later style hydraulics. We found the blue and yellow lever covers inside, and decided to use them. Also I had Matt transfer the old serial number tags off the old cab. 
CabInteriorSeat2.jpg

• Like 2

This shot looks like it could have been in a brochure.
CabInteriorSeat5.jpg

• Like 3

With the tractor coming together it was time to work on the loader.
LoaderDisassembled2.jpg

LoaderDisassembled1.JPG

Lots of heavy iron in the paint booth.

LoaderAtPaintshop5.jpg

LoaderAtPaintshop4.jpg

LoaderAtPaintshop3.jpg

LoaderAtPaintshop2.jpg

LoaderAtPaintshop1.jpg

Time to get the loader back on.

LoaderGoingOn2.jpg

LoaderGoingOn1.jpg

LoaderGoingOn3.jpg

LoaderGoingOn8.jpg

I'm not sure who Matt's helpers are in the that last photo but I certainly thank them for the help!

• Like 2

Loader is on!!
LoaderGoingOn18.jpeg

Time for some decals and hoses.
LoaderDecalsGoingOn1.jpg

When Grandpa bought the tractor he also bought a 2350 loader with it. But he accidentally hit a bridge with the 2350 and it was junk. The dealer only had the 2455 in stock so that's what he got. I decided that when the loader got restored it  was getting IH decals instead of the Case International ones. LoaderDecalsGoingOn3.jpg 

I think there was bit of fabricating to make the hydraulic hose sleeve fit with the K&M steps. 
HoseBracketInstalled1.jpg

HoseBracketInstalled2.jpg
HoseBracketInstalled3.jpg

All done, just needs the exhaust pipe put back on. 

LoaderFinishingTouches1.jpg

Now it's time to get it back to its home. Since winter has decided to show up the past few days we aren't quite sure when that will be. I last saw the tractor in October of 2018 and am so looking forward to having it home. Matt exceeded all our expectations!!

• Like 1

I forgot to add this photo but wanted to share the story on it. One aspect of the project I did was to track down the parts that were needed. The top decal came from Case IH as its still available. The second one is one that Matt found at his local dealer in their miscellaneous decal stash. The bottom one came from the  Parts Depot, after I finally got the dealer to order from the Depot, instead of Case IH, as it is available as a newer number from Case IH but the new number is a completely different style decal. 

LoaderDecalsGoingOn12.jpg

If I may, I will add some of my favorites!

IMG_20180916_152744377_HDR.thumb.jpg.f90c4868813204d7dff0a5bdf8bdf71f.jpgIMG_20180827_144908452.thumb.jpg.5ae1147552148dee15d02596a4a1a614.jpgIMG_20180704_185620708_HDR.thumb.jpg.a318c4607c34b7f13c2f53ca162730ce.jpgIMG_20180818_203051342.thumb.jpg.18bc7266e2a11eea73db9e9dc5f8468e.jpg

• Like 2

I guess that was done quick. Tractor looks great BJ.

Nice work Matt.

Impressive work !!