Fuel Tank Sealing on Inside

Richard B

POR-15 system works great and lasts better than steel. It's a DIY process. Used it on my H about 12 years ago. Still as good as new.

the shop and tip offer kits

which have cleaner etcher 

por 15 would be thick and hard to get into baffled areas to seal the flakes

none are cheaper than a good used tank,but with %&*&^ gas they all will need sealed as it pulls the factory coating off that lasted 50 years

POR-15 isn't very thick.  It gets into every crevice. The POR cleaner is not an etcher. Following the destructions, it removes flaky stuff before coating. (Richard B, POR-15 is a two-step process - cleaner the seal coat.) Plug your threaded outlet to keep the POR out of the threads. The destructions tell you that anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got done doing a 656 tank for a guy and it was really nasty inside.  I put two gallons of acid and 3 lbs of 1/4 nuts from TSC, ratchet strapped it to the wheel on the A and left it rattle around for a few hours.  It was super clean when I rinsed it out.  There is some gas tank sealer that I put in there and coated the inside to keep it from rusting and to seal any other loose debris from floating around.

656 fuel tank sealed.jpg

656 fuel tank.jpg

On 1/15/2019 at 2:52 PM, stronger800 said:

Had you posted about this ratchet strap system before? I remember somebody saying it, and I pictured a guy out raking hay all afternoon with a tank strapped to his wheel. 

No, but I saw someone on here doing this and thought it was a good idea.  If they aren't real rusty I will do it by hand, but this tank I cleaned was thick nasty rust so I thought I would give it a try.

I've heard of more people getting good results with Por-15 than any other sealer.  Kreem is another one I've heard good things about.  I bought a gas tank sealing kit from Eastwood and the acid cleaner was fine, sealer was thick, about like 140 weight oil at 25 below Zero.

On 1/15/2019 at 12:46 AM, Cooter said:

I just got done doing a 656 tank for a guy and it was really nasty inside.  I put two gallons of acid and 3 lbs of 1/4 nuts from TSC, ratchet strapped it to the wheel on the A and left it rattle around for a few hours.  It was super clean when I rinsed it out.  There is some gas tank sealer that I put in there and coated the inside to keep it from rusting and to seal any other loose debris from floating around.

656 fuel tank sealed.jpg

656 fuel tank.jpg

Red Green diy 

I use a product sold buy hit n miss enterprise, come in a quart , cost about 35 , you pour it in and do you rotations and pour out the excess and drain it out . Let it set up 

• 4 weeks later...

Cooter

I have images of tractor falling off jack and going for a drive. 🤣

Try explining yhat to insurance company. 😂

I say this in jest btw. Does look funny though.

On 1/6/2019 at 10:49 AM, fputnamjr said:

POR-15 system works great and lasts better than steel

X2

Archived