Jump to content

42 inch hub for 5488?


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Littlefeller said:

52s and 54s could have either 20.8-38 or 18.4-42 from the factory.  Mine came with 18.4-42s.

 

There is nothing in the parts book for a 42" wheel hub, only 32" and 38". They do show a 16x42 rim.

 

Does the tractor have step lugs or rims? Do you have a picture showing the tractor without the dual obscuring the inner wheel?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

There is nothing in the parts book for a 42" wheel hub, only 32" and 38". They do show a 16x42 rim.

 

Does the tractor have step lugs or rims? Do you have a picture showing the tractor without the dual obscuring the inner wheel?

 

Correct Matt, I was talking tire size not hub size.  Factory TIRE sizes were 20.8 38 or 18.4 42.  These pics should help clear up the (my) confusion.  

0807151914a.jpg

0926151856_0001.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't believe any company ever offered a 42 inch Cast hub. They always use a 38-inch cast hub with step up rims.  Your tire guy will much prefer having step up rims as the tire just about falls on the rim compared to the other way they have to use a bar to get it on

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 2+2love said:

Im looking for a 42 inch hub for a 5488. I would rather not go with step up rims. 

You don't have any other choice, if you want 42" tires you'll have to use a step/drop center rim to get there.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

IH online parts catalog shows a 42 inch rear rim for the 5488. No mention of the center cast wheel for 42 inch tires. Was the 42 in wheel a step up rim from the factory?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hawkron said:

IH online parts catalog shows a 42 inch rear rim for the 5488. No mention of the center cast wheel for 42 inch tires. Was the 42 in wheel a step up rim from the factory?

Only way available for a cast center in 42" rubber is the 38"-42" step up rim. Ten bolt duals are the only other way except for a ten bolt plate wheel with an inner wheel offset 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bitty said:

I don't believe any company ever offered a 42 inch Cast hub. They always use a 38-inch cast hub with step up rims.  Your tire guy will much prefer having step up rims as the tire just about falls on the rim compared to the other way they have to use a bar to get it on

Didn’t Deere use 42 inch centers?

Link to post
Share on other sites

To me it makes no sense that they made a 42" hub. If they used their head they could have made a 38" cast center, then 38 and 42 step up would bolt on and a 46" stub disk? ( I think this is what JD called them)could have been made to work making one cast center fit almost all tire combinations used on higher horsepower tractors. 

I tried to find some images of the rim I am thinking of. We had a set of the cast center to 46" on the inside of the 7250 when we got it 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, 5488Duke said:

NOOOOO!!!!   Matt!!!!!  You Got Her Dirty!!    I hope you gave her a good bath!  😳

It's red....dirt won't hurt it

;)

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bitty said:

To me it makes no sense that they made a 42" hub. If they used their head they could have made a 38" cast center, then 38 and 42 step up would bolt on and a 46" stub disk? ( I think this is what JD called them)could have been made to work making one cast center fit almost all tire combinations used on higher horsepower tractors. 

I tried to find some images of the rim I am thinking of. We had a set of the cast center to 46" on the inside of the 7250 when we got it 

That's the way my 7250 is

Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably nobody here has seen a set, but Electric Wheel made a step-up 9"x42" rim that bolted directly to the 8-spoke cast wheel on 686/H86 used on Hi-Clear tractors with 12.4x42 rear tires.  Had eight triangular steel plates welded to inside of rim with a hole on the inner point to bolt to cast center.  Not a high volume rim, probably 20-30 a year.

Back in the 1980's think it might have been Unverfurth that made a rim clamp that clamped 38 inch double bevel rims to 34 inch cast wheels.  Always looked weird to me with the wider gap between rim & wheel.  I've seen so many 38" to 42" step-up rims they are getting to look more "Normal" than the 38" rims.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...