V-71 Detroit Diesel:

I have an old V-71 series Detroit Diesel and want to install a hydraulic power steering pump onto this engine. It never had one in the past life and am wondering if anyone has a breakdown of what is needed to install a pump and direct drive it. My other truck with a 6V-92 engine has the pump driven from the left camshaft direct at the rear and I'd like the same mounting if possible.

Thanks for any help.

We have an old 3-71 in a boat.  It has a raw water pump directly connected to the left shaft which is the balance shaft (in that configuration) and on the  right shaft there is a drive pulley directly connected that is used for a hydraulic system.  I would expect that the 6V92 is the same as the 8V71 drive system and the drives will interchange.  BUT

You can probably get more speed from taking PTO off the dampner pulley through pulley arrangement without the expense of a pump speed-up system. Our old 3-71 drives the left and right PTO's at shaft speed.

Every bus ever made will have a power steering system. Look in a bus junk yard for parts.

We run an MCI I9 with a DDE1 6V92, is has PS but it is in FL and I am in TX.

Good luck with your project,

Thanks. I wouldn't have any idea where bus junkyards reside really. None of the heavy truck salvage yards I'm familiar with cater to any type of coach or bus but I will begin some type of search.

I have a couple of new Vickers vane pumps but don't know the drive used from the camshafts on Detroit's. Once I find that out I can change the rotor in one of these pumps easily if I don't find a complete setup.

Thanks,

Spline drive pumps is all I have seen on Jimmy's

4 hours ago, Kevingweq said:

Spline drive pumps is all I have seen on Jimmy's

Thanks Kevin. Both of the new pumps I have are  either 3/4"X11 spline or 7/8X13 spline drive. Can't remember which but both were for Detroit powered KW's. K-100 cabover tractors if that relates to age.....  They are new and input shafts are readily available in whatever would be required. I've swapped and rebuilt power steering pumps on Detroit engines in the past, but never built up a setup that didn't exist prior and it's been several years. I won't have room for a belt driven pump in this application as the turbocharger(s) and firewall are in the way to use either a belt driven, or a reservoir mounted pump. 

You made me do it.  I went out and took pictures of our spare raw water pump for the old boat 3-71.  The  dimensions configuration is probably good for all 71 or 92 Detroits.

Wanted pictures of the water pump anyway.  Observe that the large plate is part of the engine and the small plate is the pump and neither is small. The large flange is cast iron small the smaller flange is part of the expensive  bronze salt water pump.  The first picture is the drive system.  I is a 2" square tooth gear attached to the pump shaft with a nut. These are real camera pictures and can be blown up to much larger at your end.IMG_2994.thumb.JPG.a0958aa44aa5a729539fcbadfd94fe59.JPG

IMG_2996.JPG

IMG_2995.JPG

IMG_2992.JPG

IMG_2993.JPG

IMG_2989.JPG

IMG_2991.JPG

Thanks Oleman for your efforts. That setup is just as a "Vee" engine uses including the drive and splines setup from a cam drive. There are 20, 21, and 22 teeth driven hubs as your Jabsco water pump shows. I've seen them in the past but never installed into an application.

A long time Detroit Diesel mechanic furnished all the part numbers and reference designators needed to acquire parts from. Many have already been found at minimal expense including the 7/8-13 spline coupling to drive my power steering pump. I need to verify rotation direction on the pump but the rear plate is reversible with just a sealing ring required to change rotation. That's a lot more economical that a new rotor or pump itself.

Really appreciate your effort.

More pictures of the cam driven devices attached to an inline 71 series built in the 50's.

The pulley is on the right shaft from the front and is the cam shaft.

The pump is on the balance shaft.

IMG_3002.JPG

IMG_3001.JPG

IMG_2999.JPG

IMG_3000.JPG

IMG_2997.JPG

Today I picked up a hydraulic steering pump, drive spline coupler, and gear adapter to put it together on the engine. It's from the left camshaft of a V-71 engine and going onto another V-71 engine in the same place so should work well. I'll get a couple of gaskets ordered tomorrow and call this part done.

Another buddy of mine gave me a link to his electronic copy for a Series 92 Detroit Service Manual. It has very good photos of what is needed. It is very close to the 71 series manuals I have with minor differences for the later model engines. I can use it on the 6V-92TA engine I have in the truck.