Sign in to follow this  
Dave Shepard

2674 not making air.

I have the snap on one and I made one out of a5/8 craftsman wrench.  Funny they kind of compliment each other.  If you turn the bolt and it doesn’t go quite far enough fo the snap on one to catch it the other one usually will.  A set of S wrench’s will come in handy also.  I usually take the power steering pump and oil pump off but it can be done without it.  

9 hours ago, Paystar5000 said:

I have the snap on one and I made one out of a5/8 craftsman wrench.  Funny they kind of compliment each other.  If you turn the bolt and it doesn’t go quite far enough fo the snap on one to catch it the other one usually will.  A set of S wrench’s will come in handy also.  I usually take the power steering pump and oil pump off but it can be done without it.  

Exactly. We have 2 wrenches like you said . Use one then the other. 

Thanks for the replies. I was out there today and may have put my finger on that bolt. Maybe. Might have to find someone with little hands, mine sure don't fit in there. 

5 hours ago, Dave Shepard said:

Thanks for the replies. I was out there today and may have put my finger on that bolt. Maybe. Might have to find someone with little hands, mine sure don't fit in there. 

They fit in there if you make them. I have fat pudgy hands and get it done.

I tried, no way my hand fits back there. I'm thinking 50 # tannerite......

Found a wrench I bought 30 years ago and never used. I think it'll work, or will get bent so it does work. Just waiting for warmer weather. 

Next question. Is any part of this assembly timed? It doesn't seem as though it should be, but one guy on YouTube was talking about it. Thanks. 

20190223_145958.jpg

9 hours ago, Dave Shepard said:

Found a wrench I bought 30 years ago and never used. I think it'll work, or will get bent so it does work. Just waiting for warmer weather. 

Next question. Is any part of this assembly timed? It doesn't seem as though it should be, but one guy on YouTube was talking about it. Thanks. 

20190223_145958.jpg

No they aren’t timed just splined shafts. I use a wrench like that and a short craftsman box end you get them loose eventually.

Thanks. 8 F now. I think it can wait until a warmer day. 

I finally got the compressor off. Having trouble  reaching the bolt to help put wrench on bolt head, this being on a cabover the shift tower was in the way, unbolted tower and moved it. Took an hour to get the bolt out, am going to give 2 to 3 hrs to put it back in. Good thing I'm not in any hurry.

Got mine out today. Obstruction wrench wasn't obstructiony enough. Torch took care of that. I'm not sure which was worse, pulling that compressor, or taking the steering column out of a 3010. Some really odd thought processes going on there, and I'll leave it at that to be polite. 

25 minutes ago, Dave Shepard said:

Got mine out today. Obstruction wrench wasn't obstructiony enough. Torch took care of that. I'm not sure which was worse, pulling that compressor, or taking the steering column out of a 3010. Some really odd thought processes going on there, and I'll leave it at that to be polite. 

That column on 3010 is definitely easier.

Yeah, but it's green. There's a 2640 in the shop, too. That needs the entire machine disassembled to clean out the brake lining that migrated through the entire hydraulic system and rearend/transmission. 

The truck is running. What a debacle. It only took about three hours to get it back together, and that was with putting the power steering pump back on, and some other things that I'd taken off that didn't help. I took the PT pump off before the compressor. I bolted it back on before I put the compressor back on. Much easier, other than holding the entire contraption up with one hand while you try to start a bolt with the other. 

What are people using to pull that gear off the old compressor? I had to take it to a shop that had a snap on puller with legs that went in a yoke, and a lot of heat. A traditional jaw puller wouldn't  fit in there. 

On 3/26/2019 at 7:02 PM, Dave Shepard said:

Yeah, but it's green. There's a 2640 in the shop, too. That needs the entire machine disassembled to clean out the brake lining that migrated through the entire hydraulic system and rearend/transmission. 

Yes that is a problem with internal brakes. My buddy had a guy change his compressor on a n14 and they heated the little spline gear it broke about 3000 miles later involving a tow back to shop.