Farmall1066

Overhaul kits

I know it’s been discussed here before, I did some searching with no luck, maybe I didn’t search correctly, but what is the best overhaul kit to buy for a 966? Well for any 400 series engine for that matter. 

16 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

I know it’s been discussed here before, I did some searching with no luck, maybe I didn’t search correctly, but what is the best overhaul kit to buy for a 966? Well for any 400 series engine for that matter. 

depends how much you wanna spend and if you prefer OEM parts I've used both Case IH and aftermarket you can expect to pay twice as much for OEM vs aftermarket and also depends what machine work needs to be done like the head I can get remans for abilene machine for around 4500.00 by the time you rebuild one you'll have close to that in parts and doing most of the work yourself and no warranty either 

I would do the work myself, they aren’t that hard of an engine to work on.  So what is the best aftermarket overhaul kit? 

37 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

I would do the work myself, they aren’t that hard of an engine to work on.  So what is the best aftermarket overhaul kit? 

that's fine doing the work yourself , but what is a reasonable amount you think an overhaul kit with headwork also would cost ? 3 thousand 4 thousand ? more ? 

I put a new head and nozzles on about 5 years ago, and it has maybe 30 hours on it since then.  I don’t know what an overhaul kit costs anymore? I just want to know the best kits to use if not from Case IH?! 

8 hours ago, shot_gun_red said:

dons diesel lawrence ks

clevite   $1200

Thank you! 

Federal Mogal offers a kit for that motor , our machine shop offers them . Send m a note and I can get you there number if you don't have someone that sells the Federal kits .

Danny 

3 hours ago, DirtBoyz07 said:

Federal Mogal offers a kit for that motor , our machine shop offers them . Send m a note and I can get you there number if you don't have someone that sells the Federal kits .

Danny 

Thanks Danny! I’ll see what I can find in our neck of the woods, if I come up empty handed, I’ll get a hold of you.

On 1/3/2019 at 10:21 PM, Thesd5488 said:

Not reliance 

What's wrong with Reliance? Not bashing, just curious if there has been reported problems with their parts or something.

1 hour ago, Drewu223 said:

What's wrong with Reliance? Not bashing, just curious if there has been reported problems with their parts or something.

We overhauled two 436 engines (1586+1566) within a year of each other. I am fairly certain they were reliance kits. Both had siezed up within 3 years. The 1586 before being rebuilt we had owned over 20 years and had put close to 20k hours on it without any overhaul . 

I have since read on here about issues with the reliance kits and I am wondering how we had so much bad luck after the overhauls considering the great luck before. 

We have had one 414 that lost oil pressure, one 436 that scored a liner, bought a 1066 with cavitation issue and replaced the 466 in the 3588 with a reman . I would definitely be wanting to rebuild ourselves when needed but want quality parts 

• Like 1

If I’m remembering correctly, I think some cheaper kits had a square cut oring groove, and the liners were breaking in the grooves. 

5 hours ago, Drewu223 said:

Rod bolts stretch head gaskets aren’t straight they leak 

On 1/5/2019 at 5:08 PM, Drewu223 said:

Nothing is wrong. They got a bad reputation real quick because they bought up a bunch of other companies and we think were mixing parts for a while. Quality control wasn’t the best out the door. I was forced to buy a kit for my d310 and had the machine shop go over it all with a fine tooth comb. He said he was very happy with all the parts, and he assembled the pistons checking it all. My opinion is they have gotten better, however on the 400 series you have some great options that I would definitely choose first. Federal mogule, clevite, maxi force in that order would be my choice from doing research. No matter what you buy you really should have a machine shop give you a hand with the wrist pins/piston fit up as well as check your bearing clearances before hand. Just my .02. 

19 hours ago, Thesd5488 said:

Rod bolts stretch head gaskets aren’t straight they leak 

I don’t know, the kit I just bought for my d310 I hung the head gasket on a nail and substituted an IH gasket instead. Holding them side by side I was surprised how close they were. The only difference I could see by the eye was the sealant (little red lines) all over was slightly thicker on IH. Overall I was thinking for $140 or whatever I have for the IH gasket maybe it wasn’t as bad as I thought. Lol. Not sticking up for reliance but maybe, just maybe they’ve gotten better. Not trying to change your opinion just sharing my story. 

It never hurts to hear from others on what they have found/used in their equipment!

• Like 1

We put a Reliance kit in the 466 on our 1680. Our IH dealer got us the kit, told him we didn't want junk. Then we started seeing comments on this site about how bad Reliance kits were and I started to feel sick to my stomach. However, I must say, so far so good on ours. It runs perfect, has great oil pressure, starts as soon as you touch the key and so on. Don't know if we will buy another one yet or not, but I am not going to bash a Reliance kit at this point. We have run three seasons with it and so far so good. As far as all these parts go today, I don't think anyone really knows where every piece comes from anymore. Get a lot of stuff from a lot of places with huge price differences and a guy cannot tell the difference holding them in your hand. So unless you put an IH part on one 1466 and an ASAP part on the other 1466 and treat both tractors identical until each part breaks, how do you really know. We are to the point of trying a lot of options to see, because no one really knows it seems, they just have an opinion.

Does anyone know where CIH gets their engine kits from? What exactly does "OEM" mean?

Original Equipment Manufacture

4 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Original Equipment Manufacture

I think he meant that IH doesn’t manufacture their own parts anymore so OEM doesn’t really mean much.  It’s aftermarket parts endorsed by the company (now CNH).

• Thanks 1

The last 400 series Reliance kit I used seemed OK part wise. But after about 300 hours the coolant was leaking past the sleeve o rings. After I got it apart and I was taking the o rings out of the sleeve grooves they just fell apart. I took them to the local engine machine shop and he said it looked like pretty inferior material. I put it together with rings from CIH and it's still running today. This was about 10 years ago. 

Also had an 826 with a Reliance kit that blew the head gasket between 2 cylinders within 200 hours. It was a Glaser gasket, which I hadn't heard of. Used a CIH Felpro set and seemed to cure it. 

If it was me I'd see if you can buy just the parts and get a quality gasket set. 

8 hours ago, Mudfly said:

I think he meant that IH doesn’t manufacture their own parts anymore so OEM doesn’t really mean much.  It’s aftermarket parts endorsed by the company (now CNH).

Exactly. OEM means nothing if CIH isn't building the kit. 

• Like 2

Last time I checked you can't get a complete kit from Case IH , one sleeve and piston at a time and all the gaskets separate . I talked to our Hy Cap rep and before they went to Maxforce I was trying to get them to go talk to Federal Mogal and have them start making the dry sleeve kits and the wet sleeved kits for the smaller IH motors. Like I said before , pay a few hundred dollars more and not have to worry about the quality , I hate doing stuff twice especially on my dollar .

We used OEM and the Red Power overhaul kits for my entire carrier at IH and Case IH and I can honestly tell all of you never had one problem , ever !! This sucks that the small guys get bought out and there goes the quality goes down the tube .

Danny 

• Like 2