Sign in to follow this  
dads706

Birds.....

I know that many of us here feed the birds in the winter. I enjoy sitting by the window and watching them. Though the wife says it would be cheaper if I would get a bulk bin and buy bird seed by the ton. (she kicks the dog also)   My questions for today..... #1) Where are these birds when I don't feed them? I never see a Blue Jay, but the minute I put out a bird feeder those 'turds show up by the dozens. I don't mind them though.  #2) Ok, wrong season, but how can I attract Orioles I'll see one or two in the spring, but I can't seem to keep them around. I've tried all the internet suggestions, but nothing seems to work. 

2 degrees this morning, and negative numbers tonight. Possible 50 by this weekend. CRAZY weather.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We feed em too,  started with one feeder now we have 9 different ones and had to get a book on indigenous birds of Nebraska just to figure out what they all are . To attract Orioles put out nectar or cut an orange in half and put it out , we also put out grape jellly for humming birds .

• Like 1

The blue jays are around. Maybe they prefer other, easier to find food during the warm months? I have them at feeders at my place in CNY year round. I don't terribly mind them either. It's the morning doves that monopolize the space, that I can't stand. And the fricken STARLINGS!

As or the Orioles, I see them at my feeders eating suet and seed early in the spring. Later in the spring they'll switch to high sugar foods like berries and that is where people have luck with oriole feeders. I've tried a few times to get them with oriole feeders, but I think I put them up too late every time. Nearby here I saw one that ate at an Oriole feeder all day long, so I know the feeders work. I also think they like very tall trees, because I've seen a nest in one and it was super high up. Also when I hear them sing, it seems like they're pretty high.

The Cornell Lab of Ornithology (www.allaboutbirds.org) is a great place to learn about birds. It's sponsored by Cornell University and there are examples of their songs, and all kinds of cool info on all kinds of birds.

Not a big bird feeder type but we put out a hummingbird feeder this summer. I found i really enjoy watching them try to protect the feeder and divebombing each other. Didn't realize they were that agressive. Bought a second feeder late summer to double the fun. Now i got 2 more feeders from Santa. Gonna be like WW2 around the crib next summer.

Neighbors had 2-3 pair of Oreals they said the same as Lorenzo, biggest thing is keeping the food fresh and ants off

My great grandpa fed hummingbirds. I don't know why, but that was the only kind he had, and he had about a dozen feeders. He consumed about a pound of sugar daily making nectar for them. There were hundreds! It was really cool when you'd walk on the porch. They'd all fly away, and then if you'd stand still for a few seconds they'd come back and with so many buzzing around, you could feel the hums in your body. One time one got all caught up in some drying dill and got exhausted in his woodshop. It finally stopped buzzing around and I untangled it. I held it in my hand for a few minutes and gave it a few drops of nectar and then it flew off. It's was quite a treat to have had a hummingbird perched on my finger.

With all those years and all those hummingbirds, there was only ever one nest found on the property. They're about the size of a silver dollar. If you see one of those in your lifetime, you're a lucky person.

We keep a mixture of black oil sunflower seeds and millet in the feeder and suet cakes with peanuts, fruits and berries. We see a few Baltimore orioles in early May but they must just stop in and keep going. One of my favorites is a red bellied woodpecker that is a regular most mornings. The humming bird feeder gets a lot of customers all summer.

IMG_0015.thumb.jpg.f398959d81e91f199743120a6b68d84d.jpg

Here in Saskatchewan this morning it was -33 Celsius when I got up at 7:00 am. As soon as the sun came up, the feeders were all busy. Lots of chick a dee's, grosbeaks, blue jays and wood peckers here for sunflower seeds and , of course the peanuts for the blue jays and squirrels. Great day to sit by the window and watch the birds. Semi retirement is a great life. 

In the summer we have feeders out for the hummers and last year were finally able to get several orioles to come. I think with them you have to start early. They like the humming bird nectar and the real secret here seems to be grape jelly! during the nesting period they cant seem to get enough jelly. Here, they leave in mid August so they must have a very short season

I made a feed from an 18" rectangular section of plywood with an raised edge on it. Mounted on an old t-post.  I put out old old left over from the table and mixed bird feed from walmart.  Also put out old meat and leftovers outside property.  Something comes in and ate the left over turkey carcass and such.  Fairly sure its' a coyote  family living below the horizon. Would like to attract some Armadillos, but we do not have anything wild enough for them.

Doves were here in droves one year but no-so in 2018.  Flocks of English sparrows transit through.  When I see a new to me bird , Texas parks and wild life normally will have a picture BUT there are members on RP who are bird knowledgeable.  Field mice come in after dark and clean up anything left over and make a mess.  Saw a red squirrel recently in late  December.  Family cat liked to make a Dove a meal but she (best guess) got eaten by a Coyote when she got to big for her britches.

Coldest weather here in 2018 dipped to 15F  for a few hours.  A little cold weather is an adventure, living in Waukegan IL one winter, is an adventure  I wouldn't want to repeat.

We dont go crazy here but wife got a couple new feeders for Christmas. I refer to sparrows and starlings as flying pigs.