Jeff Wenner

Snow Removal 1958

Can anyone ID the crawler in this photo?  Taken by my grandfather on the River Rd in Nisbet, PA in 1958.

353 River Rd Nisbet 1959.jpg

• Like 1

......well....it looks to me like a  D6 . Model 9U   Caterpillar   ......That would be my  best guess !...and I imagine  that would be seriously cold out there

Mike

My Dad did this back in the early 50's around here, made a 25mile loop in a very long day on an open cab 14 with state police following using his lights for guidance, state called the next day to ask if he'd go 50miles away for another round.....he said no! 

Hi, Jeff Wenner.

I'd say it was Caterpillar D7, maybe a 3T or a 17A. The fuel tank, seat and exhaust don't look right for a D6 9U.

I suspect it might have been a little 'fresh' out there doing that job too - not for this little black duck. Those old girls seemed to be a LOTTTT better at heating things up around the operator when the weather was hot than when it was cold.

Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year.

Just my 0.02.

You have a wonderful 2019. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

Must have been in the mid-1960's, got a big snow in January, like 10-12 inches with some drifting.  Our township had a late 1950's vintage Austin-Western road grader, 4-53 Detroit engine, 6x6, torque converter drive thru the 6 speed manual trans, and a steel cab with heater that was just slightly less noisy that sitting in the crankcase of the engine.  Was sometime Saturday and we hear a big commotion, here's the road commissioner in the Austin Western with the BIG V plow and wing running along at a really good speed, first vehicle of any kind we'd seen for a couple days. Immediately behind the township's grader was an open station CAT #12 grader pushing the Austin-Western.  The decal on the Cat was for a local construction company whose family went to our church.  Whole family sang in the church choir except Mom, and she played the organ.  The. Dad wasn't at church that Sunday, bet he was still trying to thaw out!

On 1/1/2019 at 11:01 AM, Deas Plant said:

Hi, Jeff Wenner.

I'd say it was Caterpillar D7, maybe a 3T or a 17A. The fuel tank, seat and exhaust don't look right for a D6 9U.

I suspect it might have been a little 'fresh' out there doing that job too - not for this little black duck. Those old girls seemed to be a LOTTTT better at heating things up around the operator when the weather was hot than when it was cold.

Just my 0.02.

You have a wonderful 2019. Best wishes. Deas Plant.

On 1/1/2019 at 11:01 AM, Deas Plant said:

Hi, Jeff Wenner.

Just my 0.02.

You have a wonderful 2019. Best wishes. Deas

Both the D6 9U and D7 17A,s look very similar when viewed from the rear.They have the same fuel tank ( 65 gallons )and seat,the track guage is the same -74 inches.( 60 inches on D6 8U)The main difference is the exhaust is on the right side on the D6,while it is on the left side on the D7.As far as the cold goes,we would be working in northern Canada in the winters(late 70,s ,on 6,7,s and 8,s with no cabs ,just Rops  and pieces of tarp.Some days (and nights ) it got as low as 55 below C.  The D6,s were the warmest tarped in all round,plus  a piece of tarp over the steering clutch levers to keep the heat in .Fans reversed and rad had to be clean ,and you kept working them,especially when ripping in the frost with the D8s.They were the coldest ,as you were sitting up high like a bump on a log.

5 hours ago, Pukeko said:

Both the D6 9U and D7 17A,s look very similar when viewed from the rear.They have the same fuel tank ( 65 gallons )and seat,the track guage is the same -74 inches.( 60 inches on D6 8U)The main difference is the exhaust is on the right side on the D6,while it is on the left side on the D7.As far as the cold goes,we would be working in northern Canada in the winters(late 70,s ,on 6,7,s and 8,s with no cabs ,just Rops  and pieces of tarp.Some days (and nights ) it got as low as 55 below C.  The D6,s were the warmest tarped in all round,plus  a piece of tarp over the steering clutch levers to keep the heat in .Fans reversed and rad had to be clean ,and you kept working them,especially when ripping in the frost with the D8s.They were the coldest ,as you were sitting up high like a bump on a log.

........so what is your call, Pukeko ????!!!!         Deas   you think it is a D7    ?

Mike

5 hours ago, mike_newman said:

........so what is your call, Pukeko ????!!!!         Deas   you think it is a D7    ?

Mike

Yes,I forgot to say in my last post that it was a D7. Position of the exhaust is deciding factor.

......OK...I stand corrected.......no cigar....again !!!!!......at least I didn't call it  a Bristol...or something equally wayward    :rolleyes:

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:07 AM, Pukeko said:

Yes,I forgot to say in my last post that it was a D7. Position of the exhaust is deciding factor.

So the consensus is a D7?  Thanks for the info, guys!  I knew I'd get an answer here even if it isn't IH.

The dead give away is what side the tilt cylinder is on.  7's we're on the right, 6's on the left.  Accordingly to that it's a 7, although I thought it was to short for a 7.

My first thought was a D6 9U as well. This is a D7 3T I believe. Picture was taken in 1951 when they were building the house my mom grew up in. I might be wrong though too as I'm no expert in the matter either. It is possible it's a very early 17A as well. I thought they came out later but I could be wrong.(the one in my pic)

Mike you'll appreciate the bent exhaust pipe on it lol.

1932621527_4.DiggingBasement.thumb.jpg.ad408e0fc491da4827dabcc7380a06a6.jpg

3 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Man I would knock myself out on that canopy!  I would need to wear a hard hat!  LOL!

Steel must’ve been pretty expensive they sure didn’t go any higher then they had to lol.