Fabric Sun Shades?????

leeave96

Anyone have a fabric sunshade on their tractor?  Good, bad?  Surely they’re quieter than a metal canopy?  I see them as unbrellas and mounted to the fenders on each side with a shade covering the entire seat area between.  The pic is of a Femco shade from Gemplers.  Anyone use this style?

Wonder if IH also offered an IH logo’d fabric sunshade?  Anyone use one, pics?

BTW - a little more sun every day now that we are past Dec 21st...

School me on IH tractors and fabric sunshades.

Thanks!

9BD8B155-5139-4F00-A907-C493B2AA5D82.jpeg

I have a real nice one laying in the barn I should use. I refuse to drill holes in the fender which is how they should be to not flop all around. I had it mounted on my 1210 David Brown Year’s ago. I never liked how they still want to flop side to side. Kinda makes me feel like a dork riding around. I don’t fault anyone for using them to keep the sun off them. I prefer to use metal canopy. Fill the tubes with sand and do whatever to make them quieter. Sorry no help on what they came with originally. 

I’ve got an IH fabric umbrella. Don’t have any pics but it is red with a large black IH logo on it. Never been used and belonged to my Great Grandfather. I think it is from the 1950’s

I use one on my 656 it looks like the others only white. Only use it in the hay field but it does what it's supposed to. 

Took some pics. 55” square. Corners are brass ferrules with leather backing. Underside has tie downs. 

A544E771-6935-4378-8A62-CD0EBE7D837A.jpeg

3ECC0EE6-6A36-4D7F-99D5-9B794A5D35AB.jpeg

042AA57D-1E06-476F-AD6E-0DD7CD71F052.jpeg

278210B5-B7DA-4C75-9FDF-8838FAF84F85.jpeg

9E46B2F3-2D51-45FB-ACCD-C997152FFD52.jpeg

Sledgehammer

One word .........................................AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Remember Dad had a couple like that on the M and MTA.  Had to watch windy days and fold it down or take it off or it would turn wrong side out like a regular umbrella.

Tell from my perspective I’ll take any shade I can from the 🌞 sun. Or rain I would get a quality canvas or something equivalent. 

3 hours ago, red2thebone sr said:

Sledgehammer

One word .........................................AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Remember Dad had a couple like that on the M and MTA.  Had to watch windy days and fold it down or take it off or it would turn wrong side out like a regular umbrella.

I’ve never seen anything that looked like the rest of the frame anywhere. He purchased a Farmall 350 new in 57’ and I wonder if it possibly came with that?  I would like to know myself but there is no one left that would know. He was a no frills guy that didn’t spend money on extras. The tractor (I own it now) has T/A and PS but no 2pt. 

You need to use what is called, Sunbrella fabric. It is used in the sun for marine use. Tough, light weight and water proof.

Take the one you have to a local upholstery shop and they can sew this up for you.

Then take it to local T-Shirt shop and they will screen print any design you want.

A special one, just for you.

Some dealers had these printed with their names on it. Unsure if they gave them away or reduced the price. Advertising

The cloth ones have been very popular for many years.  We ran one on a Ford 8N in 52.

BUT my  choice is a 14 Gauge steel  sheet mounted on sturdy steel tube bolted securely to the tractor frame.  Can't be call a ROPS because it is not certified.

Actually a heavy metal cover is not loud because it does no vibrate as sheet metal does. Our cover is painted with bedliner material so it does not re-radiate much heat.

Another good quality is an occasional tree limb or low hanging anything is not an issue.

We have the aforementioned buggy style on our 856... sure makes it nice mowing hay in the hot summer sun. Comes off in a matter of minutes.

Archived