Smoke rings in the dark. My 1066

billonthefarm

Because of the speed of tire spinning do you find that the Armstrong tires are fine? Appears to be ok traction wise 

I bought these because they were cheap.  The old BFG powersavers seem to be the tire of choice.  Does it matter?  Sometimes.  I think on loose tracks and 8mph classes these tires aren’t great.  Running flat out in high third, they are fine.  If I wasn’t so cheap I would buy something else.  These are some JD combine duals with some stubble damage that are in good shape otherwise.  Would have cost more to buy some cracked out booted BFG’s.  I will run these for now.

That's kinda what I wondered. I didn't realize that you are in some mph limited classes 

Run all kinds of rules.  No sanctioned group.  Run 8-10-12-14-16 and open speed.  Some days we are competitive and some days I end up 30 feet back.  My all time favorite was a pass I made in a 12,500 lbs open mph class.  Hit 21 mph and went 314ft and got 7th.  Dang good pass, real tough class!  

More fuel would make her really go and also show me any weak links.  As long as I can stay in the hunt with this pump I will stay with it.  When the rest of the group starts to pull away, then I will see about adding another 200cc’s of fuel.  Made over 50 hooks last summer and only replaced a exhaust manifold gasket.  Knock on wood.  Pulling is more fun when you spend more time turning the steering wheel than turning wrenches.

Man I wish you wouldn't do that! Love that song and even more your tractor! Really like that you left big fronts on it instead of putting on some tiny 7.60's. My boys have the pulling bug after i let them go to the local fair with our 1466 and a 1066 fixer upper we have. When they see this they are really gonna put the screws to me on the ole 706 rear end sitting in the trees that I always said I was saving to build a puller. Very nicely done sir!

46 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Man I wish you wouldn't do that! Love that song and even more your tractor! Really like that you left big fronts on it instead of putting on some tiny 7.60's. My boys have the pulling bug after i let them go to the local fair with our 1466 and a 1066 fixer upper we have. When they see this they are really gonna put the screws to me on the ole 706 rear end sitting in the trees that I always said I was saving to build a puller. Very nicely done sir!

Would be a great project with a couple boys!  

This picture is my crew.  I am the old guy.  The 3 young guys help me on the tractor and do the majority of the driving. No relation, one works for me, another one did and the other was the local FFA advisor.  They have shown me a whole new level of fun in pulling.  Keeps me from getting too old!  

71936E37-8D33-4876-986C-E8A0B38459BB.jpeg

14 minutes ago, billonthefarm said:

Would be a great project with a couple boys!  

This picture is my crew.  I am the old guy.  The 3 young guys help me on the tractor and do the majority of the driving. No relation, one works for me, another one did and the other was the local FFA advisor.  They have shown me a whole new level of fun in pulling.  Keeps me from getting too old!  

71936E37-8D33-4876-986C-E8A0B38459BB.jpeg

Our old fixer upper 10 went from looking like the sale picture to the pulling picture just so the boys could go pulling. All that work the same week as the pull, do our best work under pressure. Whew!

KIMG0409.jpg

KIMG0595.jpg

Very cool bill!

I agree with your statement  about turning wrenches.  Are you only running one exhaust gasket?  I have had better luck running two exhaust gaskets.  I am running  over 80 pounds of boost.  Have a Happy New Year.  

Great video , and great story 👍 Thanks for getting those young guys involved in the sport 😎😎

Danny 

cool slide show Eric! You really are doing a great thing helping get these younger guys interested in pulling! Us old farts will be pooped out soon! lmao! I'm proud to have had a small part in that too lol!

42 minutes ago, Injpumped said:

cool slide show Eric! You really are doing a great thing helping get these younger guys interested in pulling! Us old farts will be pooped out soon! lmao! I'm proud to have had a small part in that too lol!

Thanks Ed!   You have been a big help!  Running with those young guys is fun and always entertaining!  See ya in Gordyville!  

2 hours ago, twood19541 said:

I agree with your statement  about turning wrenches.  Are you only running one exhaust gasket?  I have had better luck running two exhaust gaskets.  I am running  over 80 pounds of boost.  Have a Happy New Year.  

I have solid copper gaskets now but my boost is way less than that.

Nice tractor. It helps having them young guys around to man handle the weights too. :D

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:22 AM, twood19541 said:

I have best luck with OEM gaskets.  My engine builder recommends them.  

So are the OEM gaskets the steel ones or the fiber ones? Ive seen them either way.

37 minutes ago, 1967806 said:

So are the OEM gaskets the steel ones or the fiber ones? Ive seen them either way.

OEM was the solid steel ones.  Now they are those fiber ones.  The solid copper ones cost almost exactly the same and are reuseable.

Archived