Gear reduction starter super m

Anyone have a gear reduction starter on there Super M gas Tractors? Are They rare or much better than the regular ones .My starter nose cone has 3 holes to mount to tractor. Are  these starters 6volts . I'm trying to figure out if the super m gas tractors even came out with them. Or somehow mine got put on from a w6 or something like that.

I marginally need one on my 450. Was a swap job . Possibly M&W made one years ago

Never seen an M with a gear reduction starter.  Gear reduction starters are a relativelynew thing.  I'm going to say yours is a mod.  Really don't need them anyway. 

How about a picture of what you have.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, beekeep15 said:

Anyone have a gear reduction starter on there Super M gas Tractors? Are They rare or much better than the regular ones .My starter nose cone has 3 holes to mount to tractor. Are  these starters 6volts . I'm trying to figure out if the super m gas tractors even came out with them. Or somehow mine got put on from a w6 or something like that.

A short starter from a 706 diesel or a old 560 or 660 starter will bolt on a 3 bolt super m. You need to count drive teeth and find corresponding correct drive.world of upgrade on old ms.

• Thanks 1

i have a super m gas with a starter from a 450 diesel on it which is 12 volt and the matching generator, works awesome had to put a 12 volt coil and lights on it and a push button starter switch.

Pictured one was sold under the M&W name and I think A&W and maybe another I can't recall. You must have what most people now call a stage 2 SM with a 3 bolt starter center section. IH did put a gear a reduction starter on some SM LP tractors. Pretty rare to find one though.  Type pictured used the original starter motor, shaft was cut shorter, then gear reduction parts added.

I am going to change it.  i  don't need the extra power I need a little more rpms.   a 1108012 or 357907r91 is what I'm thinking will fit and   should be on it. These starters have the silonoid button, I would ,like to find one that the battery cable just bolts to with no silonoid, any one know a part number for them.

Interesting, the starter is one thing I never gave any thought to on any of my M's or SM's. Unless the batteries were getting really weak or it was below zero they always started on the first or second spin. First thing I always did if not done already was switch to 12v with alternator conversion.

31 minutes ago, beekeep15 said:

I am going to change it.  i  don't need the extra power I need a little more rpms.   a 1108012 or 357907r91 is what I'm thinking will fit and   should be on it. These starters have the silonoid button, I would ,like to find one that the battery cable just bolts to with no silonoid, any one know a part number for them.

I have a nice rebuilt starter that fits  a Super M I am wanting to sell its 6 volt I bought one when i thought my original starter was going bad and found out it wasn't the stater but I kept it 

One thing I look for to give me an idea what the stock competition puller is running is a high output starter. To turn high compression stock engine . 👀🤔

• Thanks 1

If you use one of those old a+w gear reduction starters on twelve volts  keep several extra starter drives on your shelf, you will need them.

A gear reduction is a must on a puller,  10:50 to 75 and 275 to 300 lbs compressio per cyl. takes a good starter heavy cables and strong batt.. The hot M's are running close to 600 cu. over 200 hp but are no match for the Red diamond 501 motors in a 460- 560.

2 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

A good 6V direct drive starter on 12V should spin the pith and vinegar out of a Super M engine. The one on Dad's spins it so fast you have to let off the key to get it to fire.

Not so much the starter but a good solenoid operated starter fixes a lot of drive and ring gear problems on the old Ms I know dad converted his 2 bolt and three bolt supers to modern starters.

My SMTA LP had a gear reduction starter

it was a M&W unit . Nothing but trouble because gear reduction as wore out .

i tossed it and put 6 volt starter with a 12 volt system and no problem spinning this baby . I have had this set up for ten years no problems at all 

tony

• Like 1

I converted an old chevy truck that was 6 volt charging system  over to 12 volt charging system but left the  the old 6 volt starter on and never did have a starter problem and  boy howdy it sure spun that old six banger over would start -10 below 0 easily

gear reduction starters are nothing new. . I expect M&W offered them to complement the overbore Power Adder pistons and sleeves offered at that time. converting to 12 volts would be a better option in my opinion

I got the pieces to make an M&W but doubt if I will ever use it. heres what they look like inside

DSCI0311.JPG

DSCI0309.JPG

DSCI0310.JPG